Stargate SG-1

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 03, 2006 on Syfy

• Boom today.

I wanted to put the heading as 'The episode where they blow up the Promethius" as that's about the only memorable part of the episode, but it's too much of a spoiler to leave sitting in full view...

While the world's politics and the Ori element aren't very deep, it sets the scene for a pretty cool showdown, as the Prometheus attacks the satellite the Ori have designed for the Rand. Again we see that much of the Earth and Asgard-derived technology is no match for Ori technology and how much the odds are stacked in the Ori's favour. I have to be honest that it was kind of fun to see the Earth forces go to basically boss the little guy around and get their butts handed to them.

Amazingly for Stargate, this time, nothing saves the day for the Prometheus and it gets quite memorably blown to pieces - although the crummy science has to be noted:
    1. The 302s missile's leave a smoke trail. In space.
    2. The Prometheus is seen burning. In space. I realize this might be explained by previously smoke-filled compartments being opened to space, but they don't get the benefit of that much doubt after the missiles.

The whole "did Sam make it off the ship" part was transparent melodrama and not on a par with the rest of the episode, plus we'd already seen the writer's do a surprisingly gutsy move by destroying the Prometius, they wouldn't kill her too. Then Daniel revealing that all they did was for nothing at the end, that the two nations just blew each other up would have been trite in the middle of the Cold War - never mind now.