Stargate SG-1

Evolution (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 22, 2003 on Syfy

• Part 1 of 2 of not only the episode, but the review as well.

7.8
    Evolution 1 and 2 together make up one of the four very successful two-parters of Season 7. This of course is the episode where Anubis introduces the Tau’ri to his new super soldier which is to soon take the place of the Jaffa. While Carter, O’Neill and Teal’c are all trying to figure out what the super soldier is and what it’s supposed to do, Daniel heads off to South America to find an artifact that might help them find a way to fight the super soldier.

This episode luckily consists of one of the ever so amusing appearances by Bill Dow as the character Doctor Lee, who many until part two doubt that he has a first name. I’ll get back to Bill Dow later though. Let me first give a bit salute to Dan Payne who played the super soldier. The poor man sustained being put into that costume for the entire two-parter and several other episodes. He deserves applause from everyone who’s ever watched any episodes he plays the super soldier in. We of course in this episode also got to see Tony Amendola who plays the character Bra’tac and Carmen Argenziano who plays Jacob Carter/Selmak, both of whom are excellent actors.

Let’s move back on to the plot a bit. This was an excellent plot written by Damien Kindler, who has written many other excellent episodes before. Peter DeLuise, who is one of the natural talents working on STARGATE SG-1, directed it. I was specifically impressed with some of the sets for Daniel’s little adventure into South America. I also found the whole CSI thing very fun (I’m talking about when they’re examining to dead super soldier).

We had some other excellent guest stars for this two-parter that includes Frank Roman who plays Rafael for Part 1 and 2 (mostly in part 2) who takes Daniel and Doctor Lee captive. We also got a good few scenes with David Palffy who plays Anubis. Though Part 1 wasn’t as good as Part 2, I still give it a 7.8.