Stargate SG-1

Ex Deus Machina

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 26, 2005 on Syfy

• A Great Episode that brought back an old enemy

I thought this episode of Stargate SG1 was excellent for many reasons. The first of those reasons is that it brought back Baal who was one of my favorite Goul’d. I liked how they explained where he has been since Anubis's defeat and also managed to show that he is still a dangerous threat to earth. The fact that he has managed to take over what used to be "The Trust" and has many clones of himself tells us that he will be back for many more episodes. Another thing that this episode has shown us is that the Jaffa are not meant to be an ally to earth but are more an enemy. These two plots will allow the show to get away from the Ori storyline every once in a while and will allow for new angles the show can take.
  • Though not one of my favorite storylines, it had some good stuff in it.

7.6
    As I made clear in the past: I don’t really like Jaffa storylines. Therefore this is not one of the episodes I love. But excluding that stuff, I did like that Ba’al is on earth and trying to form a Jaffa army as an evil businessman. He does look kinda good in a suit. The choice to team up Daniel and Sam, and Teal’c and Cameron, I liked to: The warriors and the scientist. Plus I’ve always liked the always ‘sibling’ like chemistry between the two.

One thing I do like about this episode is that Colonel Samantha Carter is back, permanently this time. Though she’s still a little the new kid on the block after leaving, Amanda Tapping’s acting is as good as ever. I really liked her scene with Sonya Salomaa. Both women with considerable influence and as they are talking to each other you can really sense the rivalry.

The story that there’s a bomb on earth and a mother ship in the moon’s orbit, I didn’t like so much, but the stakeout it led to was fun. Though I had expected it to come, I loved the scene between agent Barrett and Colonel Carter. Though I expected the answer to my eternal question (Will Jack and Sam get together?) already, I finally have confirmation.

I thought it was a bit predictable that they sent the building up in space. Everything together: I liked the things that happened in the episode, but didn’t like the storyline so much.
  • baal is back, but not dressed like a clown!

although this was a relatively unexciting episode when compared with the recent exploits of sg1 attempting to foil the evil plots of the ori it was very interesting and opens up some interesting plots for the future.

with a member of the system lords, baal, kicking back on earth as a public figure it allows for another new direction to be played out in the stargate universe. there have been issues with earths security in the past but now it's a whole other kettle of fish. what are baal's long term plans for earth? and how can sg1 foil them without compromising the sg program or causing any collateral damage to the general populous.

i like to see the g'auld beign able to pose a threat to earth even though their powers have been greatly diminished.

oh. and the teleporting of the building into space was a stupid idea. a much more logical choice presents itself. the local area is evacuated within 5 blocks and the core infrastructure of the building was laced with naquadria. so... teleport the core infrastructure and let the rest of the building fall to the ground, would leave convincing rubble and be a lot easier to explain than a missing building.
  • Lots of...

Well, it took a lot of Baals to make this episode, but I think they pulled it off well.

Seriously though, this is an interesting twist in the SG universe, a goa'uld who is willing to 'share' power, even with himself? Which one is the 'real' Baal, if they consider that sort of thing, and if they don't, how do they keep their egos in check? A Council of Baal? They'd all think along the same lines, but once cloned, they'd be their own persons, and being goa'uld, might try to sieze power.

I also find it interesting, now that the goa'uld are in less of a position to portray themselves as gods, they have stopped using the 'godly voice', to perhaps blend in, or make themselves seem more appealing to normal humans?

All in all, an interesting and entertaining episode.
  • Ba'al's back... Oh golly no...

7.4
    I could have done without having to see Ba'al again on the series. Perhaps my favorite TV show- but Ba'al is a boring overdramatic ham, I was verrry glad when he seemed to be out of the picture. His menacing statements are so over the top "ooooh im sooo evil.." that he loses any ability for me to take it seriously and I end up staring at the rest of the great and refined characters thinking how do they feel about pretending to take him seriously? And for 'Daniel' - "I gave up Shakespeare for this?", perhaps? The storyline was slow, standard, non-engaging and this was one of the worst episodes for me.
  • It finally felt (for the first time this season) that I was actually watching an episode of SG1!

I loved the storyline that Ba’al was on earth and trying to succeed as an evil businessman. His storyline was new, refreshing and it felt kind of like season 8 (which I completely loved). The ending wasn't a real shock (I had kind of guessed) but it still left me wondering and gave me quite a thrill with all of his clones.

The one thing that really made this episode feel like classic SG1 was that Amanda Tapping was back. Even though I loved Vala, it was so nice to once again hear Sam ramble on about techno jargon again. Amanda Tapping’s acting was as good as ever. She had alot of really good scenes, firstly with Agent Barrett about her love life and secondly with Athena. You could really feel something betwen them when they talked.

I really liked Teal'cs storyline with the Jaffa council and it was sad to see that he doesn't really feel at home with them anymore but its good if that means we ahve more of him back on Earth!

I loved at the end when they sent the Building into space, it was kind of obvious but it was still suprising. Another reason why I loved this episode so much was that it felt like a classic SG1 stake out again where they had to catch the bad guy.

Overall, Great episode and I hope the rest of the season carries out just like this.
  • Funny

I found this episode so funny and as I watched it all I could think was ok Mitchell you are great and hot but this is definatley an episode where O'Neill should have been there, afterall him and Ba'al have such strong chemistry. I found this episode hilarious at certain moments like at the end when Ba'al original or Ba'al clone was channel hopping and he said 600 channels and there was nothing to watch. Ba'al is an amazing bad guy. He is comically hilarious and definatley always seems to do something to us laugh. Great episode as per usual. I hope there is more fun in store.
  • Retiring on Earth...

So, as Goa'ulds are quite out of action, Ba'al has not many places to go and he chose Earth and think they will let him stay when he promises to be nice. But ofcourse they don't and Ba'al don't be nice too - already plotting his new schema. So, the most of the episode is about running around and trying to catch Ba'al who does not make it easy. And to have even more tension, it is not only people on Earth who know about Ba'al's whereabouts and they are there too - flying with their cargo ships on out little planet...

And to add even more - the building is beamed out on the middle of big city.. there are car accident with Jaffa.. I think a lot of things to work out..
  • The Return of Ba'al...

Ba'al is one of the best System lords and my favorite gould. This episode was mostly earth based. Sometimes the earth based episodes are the best ones. It turns out ba'al has been hiding out on earth for the past few months and seems to have taken over the trust. Some of gerak's followers go to earth to try and capture him. Ba'al said that if anyone tries to capture him he would detenate a bomb. Gerak manages to capture him and kill him. But hold on it was just a clone of Ba'al there are many more of these clones on earth. It was funny at the end when Ba'al is watching TV and says "600 chanels and still nothing to watch". It would have been good to have O'Neill in this episode because he and ba'al have good chemistry. Later...
  • Intrigue and plots-within-plots

It was interesting to see how many groups - at least 3 by my count - could all have pieces on the board and all be playing their own game for their own special interests, all at once.

Teal'c and a rival vie for control of the Jaffa council.

System Lords continue to threaten Earth.

The Trust reveals one more reason why they do not deserve their name.

And SGC just tries to hold it all together and protect the Earth from the wake of all these special interests cruising through her neighborhood.

Not as much fighting as usual in this episode - but far more gamesmanship and brinkmanship than you usually see in one episode.
  • Ba'al returns...

Ba'al is probably one of my favourite system lords. Unlike the others, he actually has a sense of humour, which makes his selfish greediness a bit easier to bear.

In this episode he's been his usual naughty self, hiding out on earth and trying to blow stuff up.
    The Jaffa capture and kill him and... it turns out there are 4 more of him!
    Ba'al has cloned himself, which can only mean trouble in the future...

While certainly not the best of SG-1, this episode was a little more like how it used to be. The tension between the Jaffa/Earth is interesting, if a little too over the top for my liking. Still, the scenario has some potential.
  • Traditional SG-1

I really think this episode is "SG-1" at its very best. It was simply brilliant. A nice, old-fashioned episode that allows "SG-1" to get back to its roots in many ways.

This episode acts as a sequel to several of Season Eight's best, particularly "Full Alert" and "Reckoning Part 2". Fortunately, it emulates the greatness of these two episodes. I especially love the whole "Goa'uld on Earth" storyline. Admittedly, it's something that they've explored quite a few times before but it is done in a manner that keeps its interesting here.

It was great to get the band back together, as Mitchell put it. For the six episodes of the season, all I was thinking was "When is SG-1 getting back together?!" It was long overdue in this episode. This is one of the things that, for me, made to seem like an old fashioned episode. It was great to see Daniel, Sam and Teal'c working together in the normal way for the first time since late last season. It was nice to get a brief respite from the whole Ori storyline. In fact, I think this is the best episode of the season so far partly for that reason. It hasn't really grabbed me yet.

The concept of four different Baals on Earth and possibly dozens throughout the galaxy is extremely scary. One was creepy enough. And that one is still out there hiding somewhere, probably trying to rebuild his power base and likely planning numerous attacks.
  • Is the once wonderful multi-arcs perspective sinking? Not yet, but the hull's leaking...

Well, after the brethtaking demonstration of power from the Ori... we're back on earth and SG command just to discover that undercover jaffas are operating without any official status (remember there is no spying among good friends, just misplaced curiosity).

Indeed we are witnessing again that the "TRUST" (lol) may not be the strongest link between the Tori and the free Jaffas. We're even slightly avoiding an open cassus belli between the Prometheus and a Mothership on the far side of the Moon.

What about his new skirmish? The presence of Baal on earth taking over the assets of the former TRUST. Well... it's not bad to see Baal back (his come back is always better than the many Apophis's ones). But this is definitely lacking something. The new cloned, terrorist, goa'uld vilain sould be yet no more than a slighttly itching pain on SG Command overbeaten butt...

Development of the cunning political talents of the Jaffa's leader is equaly pronounced as compared to the "by all means necessary" policy is advocating. This will surely divide allies who should care the mushrooming threat of the "enlightened ones".

most unnecessary scene of the week : Carter's moving in...
  • Ba\'al for president?

Ba\'al could run for president and control SGC. That would be interesting as a subplot. Maybe remove the simbiote?

at the end the blonde was alone with 4 men. what would she do with all those Ba\'als?

Like the news series. O\'Neill should come back for a few more episodes.

• Nice with a break from the Ori for a change. But mediocre...

7.2
    This episode was a nice change what with the break from the Ori arch. However, the episode itself was mediocre.

Very predictable all the way through. It's nice to have Baal back as an enemy and it will surely bring about interesting new episodes. This was not one of those.
  • It's not a bad episode on it's own merrit, but in the context of the season it feels out of place.

I will admit that I am a recent convert to Stargate SG-1. There was a while where I was trying to not spend hours in front of the sci-fi channel, my eyes glazed over, a dull smile on my face. No offence to other sci-fi viewers, that's just how I look when I watch TV. Even when I got to watch Sci-Fi, it was mostly for reruns of Quantum Leap or Farscape. But last season of Stargate finally won me over. I've become interested in the situations and characters common to the show. What I've found most appealing is the way that the show refuses to stop it's mommentum in a story arc.

I think that's one of the things that makes me dissapointed in this particular episode. There is not a single mention of either the Aur-ai or the recently vanished Vala. Not one. Seriously, I would have settled for one shot of Claudia Black, floating in a void. That's also because I think Claudia Black is fantastic, but really, that's besides the point.

This Bal story arc is just a bit too last season. It seems like pulling for straws. He hasn't been on screen at all this season, and putting him in now just seems sloppy. I appreciate trying to tie in threads from previous seasons, but this seems too much like just randomly throwing them in.

The episode itself had a few problems. There are a few things stated that would be better shown. For example, we'd like to see the missile fly, instead of have the entire missile sequence happen while we're watching commercials. I mean, half the reason I watch most of this stuff is to see sh*t get blown up. The building thing is alright, but this was potential to see a missile blow up on american soil! It could have been AWESOME, man. Sam seems to figure things out off camera now, and rather instantly. We don't really see any of the clues, just the reveal. We'd like the clues every now and then.

So on the whole, I just have to say I think they could have made a better episode. I think they have made better episodes. Here's hoping the Aur-Ai come back soon.
  • This isn't my favorite plot thread, but it certainly wasn't a bad episode!

After the recent Ori-centric episodes, a return to concerns like The Trust and the Goa’uld is actually a little bit of a slowdown. At least, that’s how I felt about it. The writers had already tossed about a dozen plot elements into the season arc, and now that we’re a third of the way in, it seems overkill to slip in this new aspect of Ba’al and his growing control over the human economy.

I’m also not sure that I like the idea of Ba’al clones, even if it means that things get to be more complex. Even if it has some tenuous connection to previous NID-related episodes, it strikes me as a little too convenient. Not only that, but I was left wondering if the writers were trying to suggest that the real Ba’al wasn’t in the same body anymore, but rather, in the fit young woman that was pretending to be his “First Prime”. What better hiding place than in plain sight?

Anyway, for me, the real interest was the chess game between Teal’c and Garek. Previous episodes warned that Garek was an isolationist with a great deal of popular support, and this episode confirms it without a doubt. Garek knows politics and how to use information (or the lack thereof) against his rivals. Time and again, Teal’c was put on the defensive, and no matter how powerful his words might be, the message was lost in the process.

As annoying as the “Goa’uld on Earth” plot thread promises to be, there are some interesting aspects to it. All this action on Earth continues to erode the secrecy of the SGC, which was already on the skids over the past few years. The previous episode also raised an interesting issue: what happens if Ba’al decides that an alliance of convenience with the Ori can solidify his power on Earth?

One thing is for certain: the alliance between the Tau’ri, the Tok’ra, and the Jaffa has all but fallen apart, and Garek is more than happy to let it happen. His use of the old methods employed by the Goa’uld suggests that he could turn those weapons against his own people in the near future. What would Garek do to preserve his own power? At what point does this isolationist stance become the basis for a dictatorship?

This is more properly the return of Lt. Col. Carter, since the previous episode had few meaningful moments for the character. This introduces a few questions that have probably been on the table for a while, but couldn’t be addressed until she was back on-screen. For instance, she notes that she’s not exactly “single”; is this some kind of reference to the end of the eighth season? I’ve always taken it that Jack and Sam accepted that they can’t be together, yet can’t be with anyone else because of their feelings for each other. Is that how the comment was meant to be read?

And then there’s the question of command. If the writers play this honestly, Carter should have issues with Mitchell running the show, sooner or later. Unless, of course, they continue to make the team feel more like a temporary convenience than the institution that once was. Carter may simply see this as a temporary situation, so it doesn’t matter who runs the team. But what happens if Mitchell makes a call that Carter doesn’t agree with?

Even if this wasn’t my favorite plot thread (I’m actually rather tired of the NID/Trust/Goa’uld episodes), I continue to give credit where credit is due. The entire cast seems revitalized, the writing is the strongest it’s been since the series went to SFC, and the series is back to being a “must watch”. It’s like the writers and producers felt like they had something to prove, and so far, they’ve hit a very nice stride.
  • ball is found on earth and he made a building bomb, nothing new.... wish it were

starts out with Teal\'c speaking to the jaffa, and he is \"fighting\" his enamy in the high coucil, the episode had a few funny moments, mostly involving funny humor.... all in all it was an unorginal episode but i understand why it had to exist, it was a setup for ball\'s grander plan.