Stargate SG-1

Fair Game

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 09, 1999 on Syfy

• Earth joins the protected planets treaty and Carter becomes a major...

This was one of my favorite episodes, and it was loaded with Jack being very Jack-like. It seemed to be a pretty well thought out episode, with a somewhat convenient twist that saves the SGC from having to hand over the 'gate. We get to meet the Asgard in a more official capacity which I also liked, and I thoroughly enjoyed the system lords in this episode all of whom are among my favorites. More importantly, this episode provides a plausible explanation as to why the system lords never attack earth in force, with the exception of Apophis' attack before the treaty. I would definitely classify this as a must see, it definitely kept me watching.
  • Peace talks with Goa'ulds...

This was somehow really shocking episode because all of those things that happened - first Carter getting promoted to Major. It will take time to take that and then, O'Neill going to say some words but... he disappears, and mets with Asgard who has something worrying to say - Earth is on danger, again...

So, the way out this time is peace talks and Asgards are planning them but they do not go easy as the terms are not very good and to make it even worse, one of the Goa'uld representative has hard history with Teal'c and he is found in hopeless condition Teal'c beside him. Teal'c ofcourse says he did not do that and now they have to do their best to save the peace talks and found the real bad one.. and ofcourse, in the end Earth is saved...

It was good, interesting but..
  • It was ok,but kind of boring!

7.6
    Dont get me wrong I liked the episode but it was a little boring to me!Even though Jack's sense of humor was all there!But I just felt like they didnt know what to do for a episode so they came up with this!And I felt like Daniel should have been envolved a little more since they were dealing with the Goa'uld and Daniel studies them very deeply!I dont know it just didnt feel like there normal, funny, stunning, thrilling, magnificent episodes!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Expanded the Mythology.

This episode starts with the much deserved promotion of Carter to the rank of Major. The beam up of O'Neill was surprising and very funny. This is a very important episode in that Earth is now in the Asgard protected planets treaty and that it introduces three system loads that would play heavily in the later seasons. It was great to get a little back-story on Teal'c and what happened to hid father. The who done it with Teal'c and Cronus was nicely done. I loved Jack's plan and it worked beautifully. In the end this is one of the best of the season and will always be high on my favorite list.
  • This one was prety good. I liked the fact that they had to have the Gouald on the base to beable to have this meeting to be a protected planet. The same exat ones that they were trying to get protection from.

When they were informed that they could not have any weapons on the base in oder to have the meeting. It was so funny when they were trying to get Teal'c to surrender his staff weapon. Even tho' he did you could see the look in his that he felt this would be a bad idea.
    This one really did have alot of humor in it. That is what I really like about Stargate anyway. It may a serious story they are telling but it still has it's laughs.
    Ok they finally get to this meeting And they sit down do the intros and the gouald get an attitude with eachother and Jack asks about everybody speaking the same language and it was over just that quick. Thor, informs Jack that this was to be expected of their behavior and it would not be easy.
    Cronas is attacked and injured badly, of they have to let the Lord Yu and Nirtii know what was going on, now there is trouble and they have n idea how to handle this one. But they are almost positive tht one of the other 2 gouald had to be the culprit.
    They finally come up with the fact that Nirtii had some kind of cloaking devise and that it had to be her. So they call the other 2 in and tell them their suspisions. And basically tell Nirtii they think she di it. And they she has a cloaking devise for a individual. Lord Yu freaks out and of course She takes off running. Sam pulls out the weapon for the Retu and catches her. Now the whole point of the meeting has changed there will be no sacrfice on the Tauri.
    So it was a really good show. I enjoyed every minute of it.
  • Expands the Stargate Universe, answers some questions, but also introduces Nirrti!

What a way to grab the viewer’s attention! After what seems like an ordinary promotion ceremony for Carter, O'Neill is suddenly beamed out with great comic style. This leads to the very first (almost historic) meeting between O'Neill and Thor, whose relationship is amongst the most beloved of the series. But this is but one of many great aspects of this episode.

A big question that would've been raised after the episode "Thor's Chariot" is why the Asgard don't just wipe out the Goa'uld. This episode answers that question in a realistic and satisfactory way, adding yet another layer to the political situation in the Stargate Universe. One thing that makes this episode above average is the plentiful humour present throughout this episode, although mostly from O'Neill also comes from Daniel at the very end, as well as Thor. In fact, my favourite moment of this entire episode is the second time O'Neill is aboard Thor's mothership, with my definite favourite moment being this one subtle facial expression Thor makes after basically telling O'Neill he's on his own.

One aspect that still irritates me about this episode is the very badly done computer effect of Thor walking towards O’Neill after the Goa’uld storm out. This sadly lessens the overall enjoyment of the episode for me.

This episode also introduces us to 3 more System Lords: Yu, the butt of way too many puns; Cronus, who perhaps for the best didn't feature too much in the rest of the series; and finally Nirrti, who I think most can agree featured much too often after this episode. Although, in a way this episode stands out: it's a good episode that features Nirrti, a rare thing indeed. On a side note, I must say I loved the design of Yu's outfit.

The subplots involving Carter and Teal'c's antagonism towards Cronus are okay, and thankfully play second fiddle to the main action. They provide necessary but thankfully only momentary pieces of plot and drama, which make them all the more effective.

One thing I loved especially about this episode is the very last shot. Even though Thor said he left a lot earlier, seeing his ship only leave at the very end still charms me, and effectively shows another great side to the Asgard in general.

All these ingredients add up to a fine little episode. It may have its downfalls but these don't deter away from the episodes plentiful positive aspects, making for a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
  • The team has a meeting with three Gould in a meeting to place Eart into the Protected Planets Treaty between the Gould and Asgard.

This episode brings back the Asgard, who were first seen in Thor's Chariot. It also introduces us to three system lords, Nirrti, Yu, and Chronos. Chronos killed the father of Teal'c, and Yu becomes very influential later in the series. This episode is a classic, it shows the technological superiority of the Asgard over the Gould, and finally gives Earth a superior ally. It also shows that the Gould were aware of the Artic Gate found in Solitudes. I love it when previous episodes are referenced.