Stargate SG-1

Foothold

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 05, 1999 on Syfy

• Interesting

The team returns to the SGC and find it under siege by unknown aliens. These aliens take on the image of other people and then control their personalities by means of cocooning them. it;s up to the SG team to stop the aliens and the madness!!
  • Colonel Maybourne takes a day off

Colonel Maybourne takes a day off.

As Sam put it so eloquently,

"Maybourne, you are an idiot, every day of the week! Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!"

Good action/adventure oriented episode.
  • Aliens infiltrate the SGC...

This is an excellent episode that demonstrates, with flawless clarity, the biggest danger of running the Stargate Program, having a team go off-world only to bring something deadly back, in this case, alien impostors. Anyway the story seemed very plausible and flowed extremely well. Carter's character definitely got a chance to shine here, it was great to have just her against the forces of the SGC in a race against time to stop the incursion. Having Maybourne as a sort of accidental hero was great and set up episodes further along in the series in which he is also helpful. This episode is the first episode where we see that good ol' Harry really does have earth's interests first, despite being sleazy in the way he defends earth. An all-around action packed romp you will surely enjoy.
  • Really hallucinating or?

This was one really exciting and for some time, it almost made me think that yes, Carter and Teal'c are hallucinating and there is nothing wrong, at least not what looks to be at the first, but no - there was something really interesting going on, what kept me nailed to the screen all the time. Stunning.

All the changing abilities and all the alien invasion - it was not something new, but the way this episode was done - quite humorous, some of the sayings and O'Neill ofcourse.

Enjoyable to watch even thought if not the best, then defenetly not a waste of time either.
  • good episode...

The SGC is taken over by aliens and Carter and Teal'c are the only ones who can stop them. The aliens used a sort of cloning technology to look and have the memories of all of the SGC members, but they are unable to use it on Teal'c and Carter. Carter contacts Colonel Maybourne and he eventually comes in at the end with soldiers and takes the aliens down with the help of Carter, Teal'c, Jack, and the guy I can never remember the name of. Some of the aliens got through the gate while other blew themselves up. Anyways, good episode with an interesting idea.
  • Funny

This is a really funny episode especially the teaser with the water in the ears and needle in the butt stuff. Then the episode turns serious with the reveal that Hammond and Janet are big ugly cockroaches that have mimic technology. The cafe scene was hilarious with the idiot everyday of the week line and Jack trying pronounce the name of the chemical. The addition of Maybourne and Davis made the episode that much better. It was good to see Maybourne help out and the team give him the respect he deserved. Overall a good episode that makes me laugh every time I watch it.
  • Granted this was not one of the best episodes but it was still very entertaining. I had no problems with it. The idea that Jack and daniel would actually work with Mayborn should tell you something that would never happen without being an order.

Sure the way it all happened was a little what you might call silly, and the way they stored the victims. What exactly was that that they were hanging from, it kinda looked like some kind of inner parts of something alive.
    But it was still kinda cool.
    It seemed funny if they were going to duplicate them they would just go ahead and kill them.
    I liked the out burst that Sam had with Mayborn in the food court, an idiot everyday of the week, but why couldn't you have taken one day off? I loved it, it sounded like something that Jack would have said.
    I have no idea why the Alien was stabbing Teal'c's symbiote like it was really giving her fits. How much resisting could it be giving her held by some kind of vise?
    Nice way to meet Major Davis. when carter discovered the devices worked was pretty funny too. Imean to become one of your best freinds literally you gotta love it.
    I am not quiet sure what i liked about it so much but i did fingd it humorous in some parts. I just thought that it did What it was supposed to do, it entertained me.
  • It was extremely predictable.

Although the main story was a little predictable and unoriginal this episode till turned out fairly well. It was intresting having to figure out what had happened to SG1. I liked the idea of Aliens taking over Stargate Command. This was mainly a Carter/Tel'c episdoe but the ending was fairly good. The aliens themselves were very different from the type we usually ecounter on SG1, prehaps over the years the writers have began to think that something else other than a few other species lie in the universe. All in all this was a good episode. So far this has been a very unpredictable season. With many twists and turns lets hope it stays like this.
  • It is very, very silly, but that's why I love it so!

First off, I have to say that before watching this episode again recently, my opinion of this episode was quite negative (I changed the score to what it is now from 6.0). But I must say that this has been the biggest surprise of the season so far. This episode was just so entertaining and hilarious, and almost makes up for the previous disappointing episodes.

I'll start with the good points. First, this episode is really funny. I almost laughed out loud (and believe me it takes a lot to do that) when the Major Davis alien screams. I don't know if it was intended to be funny, but it was. But there are plenty of other funny moments in this fine little episode, with particular standouts including O'Neill and Daniel convincing Carter that nothing's wrong, "How's a needle in my butt...” and the other possibly unintentionally funny bit with imposter-Fraiser analysing Teal'c's symbiote with alien devices. That bit is just so silly it's funny.

I also have to say that the design of the aliens is outstanding. It's great to look at, very creative, and very realistic. It's nice to see that they'd spend so much time, effort and money on aliens that would never appear again, but at the same time it's disappointing that we'd never see them again. What are also impressive are the morphing sequences, when the creatures change into humans or when Carter switches between herself and Daniel.

But there's one very effective scene I must mention. Right after Teal'c knocks out a guard, he notices he's human from his blood, thus realising that not everyone has been duplicated. Then immediately after that he shoots another guard dead. At the same time as Teal'c, you worry about whether or not the guard was a human or alien. It's very effective and well done.

Now for the bad points. First, the situation and story are pretty basic: alien incursion impersonating the SGC. It's a science fiction cliché as old as science fiction itself. But this is Stargate, they now how to use clichés well, and this does it very well. Also, some of the alien designs are quite silly, such as the scanning device and the suspension devices, but this is just my opinion (plus some might find them funny).

In summary, although the story and situation are hardly original, this is a very fun little episode and one of the biggest surprises for me from this season.