Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Colonel Cameron Mitchel or no Colonel Cameron Mitchel

Idbeolderifiwas

[61]May 3, 2008
    • level: 20
    pwells01 wrote:

I do think Carter got robbed out of taking command of SG-1. Amanda said she was disappointed about that decision. The reason could have been the timing of her pregnancy or something else.

Anyway, out of curiosity (and moving a little away from the thread topic), if Carter was put in charge of SG-1 and there was no Mitchell, I wonder who would be a good fourth person to join Carter (leader), Jackson, and Teal'c. I love Carter, but she's usually serious and not too exciting. So the fourth person should be somewhat colorful, and maybe a warrior type. I was first thinking of a military person, but it's not easy to have a fun, entertaining military subordinate. I don't know - maybe a woman who's a cross between Teyla and Vala.

Someone a lot like Lt. Ford per-say? Without the crazy wraith enzyme high that is.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pwells01

[62]May 3, 2008
    • level: 16
    Maybe like a Ford would be good, but probably someone older. In Atlantis it just didn't seem like they utilized him enough. He was sort of a kid following Sheppard around and doing little grunt work a lot of the times.

Finnegan77

[63]May 4, 2008
    • level: 27
    Mitchell didn't bother me as much as the rest of you, apparently, but I was already a Ben Browder fan from Farscape. I think we all missed the great O'Neill/insert other cast name here vibes - his interactions with the other SG-1 members were some of the things that made this show so great. That said, his scenes in many of the season 7 and 8 eps were definitely "phoned in" (as was said in 200!). Anyone trying on Col (NOT General) O'Neill's boots would have trouble fitting in, and that is why they made Mitchell so very different. Just the way he interacted with the other team members was different - he called Daniel "Jackson" - distancing himself from the brother feeling Daniel and Jack had. He apparently annoyed Teal'c, since Teal'c made every effort to punch Mitchell out in "Ripple Effect." He and Sam got along best, and that makes sense as there was no UST between Mitchell and Sam as there was with Jack/Sam.

I supposed I did resent the time they took for Mitchell's character development during season 9. I wanted more of a build-up of this new team - more deepening of the characters' connections rather than individual eps for Mitchell (like the Sodan ep and "Collateral Damage"). When he did connect, it was good - "Line in the Sand" with Sam, "The Quest 2" with Daniel, "Bounty" with Vala - but it was too little too late at that point. I found myself resenting Mitchell's "star" status in "The Ark of Truth," that's for sure. When the whole team should have been fighting the Ori, too much time was spent watching Mitchell fight the Terminreplicator.

sinar121

[64]May 4, 2008
    • level: 8
    me didn't like how they just brought in a new guy and made him THE star. i mean, come on, u gotta work ur way up or something. Jonas started small, Carter on Atlantis also had a small part

D-blaze34

[65]May 5, 2008
    • level: 6
    Ori_Prior wrote:

He will never replace O'neil but he is a good character.

The only thing is that he seems to be taking over the screen from the other members of SG-1 who've been there eight years longer than he has. That's my only problem

That's O'neill with 2 Ls lol

Sorry probably been done to death.

sinar121

[66]May 5, 2008
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    pwells01 wrote:

I do think Carter got robbed out of taking command of SG-1. Amanda said she was disappointed about that decision. The reason could have been the timing of her pregnancy or something else.

Anyway, out of curiosity (and moving a little away from the thread topic), if Carter was put in charge of SG-1 and there was no Mitchell, I wonder who would be a good fourth person to join Carter (leader), Jackson, and Teal'c. I love Carter, but she's usually serious and not too exciting. So the fourth person should be somewhat colorful, and maybe a warrior type. I was first thinking of a military person, but it's not easy to have a fun, entertaining military subordinate. I don't know - maybe a woman who's a cross between Teyla and Vala.

Someone a lot like Lt. Ford per-say? Without the crazy wraith enzyme high that is.

How 'bout someone like Aris Boch. or maybe FRAN

pwells01

[67]May 6, 2008
    ooo, Aris Boch - I miss that guy! Maybe by now they've figured out a way to remove the dependency on that roshna(?) substance. (and now, Carter's a colonel...)

yellowbucket101

[68]May 27, 2008
    • level: 6
    I really do like him, though he is no replacement for RDA he s very good. His fight with Teal'c was also very good. He is a very good addition to sg1 and has a good role. they were carefull in that he isn't technically in charge of the team as daniel is a civilian, teal'c is teal'c and he is the same rank as carter. so it works out he is kind of in charge so long as he doesn't do anything that any of them don't like.

ancientprincess

[69]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 13
    I definitly say WITH him in the show. Hes hot and cute and not to mention funny. He battles bad guys and makes the funniest jokes. The show became better with him in it.

ddrasher45

[70]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 2

It's not the same with him. It's just like in season 6 with Jonas Quinn. He's not the same, but he'll do. I will say this though, seasons 6 without Daniel and season 9 and 10 without O'Neill just not the same without the original team together, but it's still good.

Edited on 08/30/2008 2:28am

MurrayTheJaffa

[71]Sep 7, 2008
    I say with, BUT O'Niell is vastly superior. Mitchell is a good enuf replacement and I must admit I am a little biased because I loved Ben Browder in Farscape. Here is my main issue with Mitchell. I like him and I think he's funny, and they did a decent job of separating him from Jack(they coulda done better), but he has absolutely zero leadership over the team. O'Niell was able to keep everyone in check, but the rest of the team basically walks all over Mitchell and he even admits this! O'Niell was much funnier and much less cliche'd and it felt he was in control of the team not just part of the team. That's my problem with Mitchell he doesn't lead SG-1 it feels like he's just part of SG-1.

Finnegan77

[72]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 27
    Yes, the dynamic definitely changed, but imagine if they'd brought him in and he'd been the "in charge" guy. That would not have worked at all - he had zero off-world experience, and no reason for the team to immediately put themselves under his leadership. Without injecting some kind of "we're a team" feeling, as they managed to do after a few eps in season 9, there was no reason for Daniel and Teal'c (let alone Carter) to agree to keep going through the gate as SG-1. It would have been foolish for him to be giving orders about anything except military tactics, and even that wasn't necessary with Teal'c. Teal'c only put himself under Jack's authority because he trusted him with his life. (Teal'c always had WAY more experience.) It the huge threat of the Ori that kept the members of SG-1 committed to working together.

And if they'd brought in another ranking military type to "take over" (moved Reynolds in, or another experienced SGC member), that would NOT have worked at all.

The team interaction was very good (different, but good) in the Season 9 and 10 eps where they actually worked as a team. Beachhead was fantastic, also Prototype, Pegasus Project, The Quest, etc. Where the Mitchell character bogged down for me was when they tried to put him on his own.

MurrayTheJaffa

[73]Sep 9, 2008
    That's also an excellent point. You're right in that it wouldn't have felt right if Mitchell(as his character is portrayed) were completely in command. However, I think there could have been a little less "I'm going to do this Mitchell, k?" on the part of Daniel and Teal'c. I guess my beef is more with the team as a whole in s.9 and 10 than with just Mitchell. SG-1 suffered from the lack of a defined leadership, imho. However, both 9 and 10 were still fun as hell, but it was just different, and not catered to my love of seasons 1-8 lol. And I'm not sure I see why having another experienced SG team member take over would be any better or worse than Mitchell taking the "lead". I guess the bottom line is: "What? Where's O'Niell? Ah, all right c'mon Mitchell..."
    Edited on 09/09/2008 2:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

lynna12000

[74]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    I think Mitchell would have worked better as Carter's 2IC, rather than as leader. Sure, Mitchell was a pilot, but that does not automatically give him leadership skills/experience. Carter, on the other hand, had both skills and experience. Not to mention experience in working with other groups and cultures. Mitchell's leadership skills were non-existent.

Hella2006

[75]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 1

Absolutely WITH!!!

Ben's characther was not well defined by the scriptwriters, right, but there was a huge need of fresh blood in the series. O'Neill was absent and obscure in his last seasons. Cam Mitchell was exactly what the SG-1 team needed; a younger, active and fresh military leader.

It was a pity that the writers insisted in making Mitchell so similar to O'Neill in some occassions... They had nothing to do, Mitchell deserved to be a new character on his own.

jrsgalaxy

[76]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 14
    Hella2006 wrote:

Absolutely WITH!!!

Ben's characther was not well defined by the scriptwriters, right, but there was a huge need of fresh blood in the series. O'Neill was absent and obscure in his last seasons. Cam Mitchell was exactly what the SG-1 team needed; a younger, active and fresh military leader.

It was a pity that the writers insisted in making Mitchell so similar to O'Neill in some occassions... They had nothing to do, Mitchell deserved to be a new character on his own.

I dont know he seems to be acting pretty natural. it seems to me that is the way Ben Browders personality is in real life minus the Stargate life of course.

seto1

[77]Feb 13, 2009
    I dont see why everyone hated him,he brings alot to the show and has help revive the show,he is no oneil but he is almost as good

jrsgalaxy

[78]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 14
    seto1 wrote:
    I dont see why everyone hated him,he brings alot to the show and has help revive the show,he is no oneil but he is almost as good
    Yeah I know. I think he is one of those unique actors that can bring in their own personality in with every role and people love to see that. Mel Gibson is another actor who can attest to that. Everyone says of them is what you see on screen is basically they way they are in real life. I think its cool to be able to do that. Some great actors you wouldnt want that because alot of them are jerks in real life if you ever see them in talk shows you know what I mean. One actor who I think is real discredit is Burt Reynolds. HEs too arrogant selfish IMO. Like when he slapped a young reporter in the face in the middle of an interview. WHo does that?

zampognaro

[79]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 9
    At first I couldn't like him ... he was replacing O'Neill after all and for some reason they made him in-charge of SG-1 straight away.
    But, as season 9 progressed, he kinda grew on me. And was so hilariously funny in certain episodes, that he soon became one of my favorite characters.
    So ... definitely WITH.

seto1

[80]Mar 6, 2009
    I aways thought Sg1 became a kind of too much brass team.Simply put i know sg1 is the flag ship team but having two colonel on the same same seemed like a waste to me.While all the way in a distant galaxy a lone colonel is killed and a major becomes the ranking officer of such an important mission.I know it sounds like im bashing some of my fav characters on the show but the allocation of officers clearly needs work.