Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Ark of Truth Thread (possible spoilers)

twitch283

[41]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 10

I bought Ark of Truth Friday, watched it last night, and was reasonably impressed. This isn't so much a review as it is a jumbled collection of thoughts.

• It felt like I was watching an extended episode of SG-1, like the series hadn't really ended and I was jumping back in the middle of it.
    • The inclusion of Tomin and the closure of this particular section of his life was a welcome addition. His conversation on board the Odyssey with Teal'c was a brilliant piece of writing. Then again, I'm partial to misguided and redeemable villains. To me, even though that particular section of Tomin's life is finished, the character's over-all arc isn't done, not by a long-shot. He's just helped bring about the collapse of the Ori power structure, his religious beliefs turned out to be a lie, and to top it off his wife left him. As an Ori commander he's in a unique position to help restructure his society and deal with the fall-out of the death of the Ori. That's a spin-off, I'd watch (hint, hint StarGate crew...or heck, even fan-fiction writers)
    • The final sequence between Adria and Morgan, provided a nice call-back to Oma and Anubis at the end of Threads.
    • Did the med-ward scene between Cam and Sam seem just a teensy bit shippy to anyone else? And before I'm flamed to a crispy finish, I'm not a rabid shipper, it's just an observation.
    • My only complaint was the use of Merrick as a replicator meat-suit. It just seemed a little too Terminator to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[42]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 21
    pwells01 wrote:

There's quite a bit of cleaning up to do after the movie, such as:

1. The Ori ships and army - Tomin will become some sort of leader, but of what exactly? What is the purpose of the Ori army now?

2. The priors seem to still have power - at least their staff seems to have power. What will happen to them?

3. Odyssey and ZPM - one possibility is that the Odyssey will keep the ZPM for now (Earth has one and Atlantis has one) and it will continue to be their flagship (with the cloak and Asgard weaponry). Maybe they'll use it in the next movie.

As far as Atlantis, I really don't know what their mission is supposed to be. Obviously, their main directive is to prevent Atlantis from being used by enemies to attack Earth. Beyond that, how far out are they supposed to go in the Pegasus galaxy and what are other directives?

I guess now the Ori worshipers will now start up their own nation, sort of like the Free Jaffa Nation used to be before the Ori wiped out Dakara.

Hopefully now they will use their powers to help rebuild their civilizations and power the ships [hopefully bring one or 2 ships to Pegasus to fight the Wraith - I always did want to see an Ori ship battle a Wraith hive ship]

True, I guess they can leave it on the Odyssey then. It would be cool to see it in action on Atlantis as well especially if it has cloak. Otherwise with the Ori threat over then they may as well give the ZPM back to Atlantis. [they may need it especially since the replicators won't be building many ZPM's anymore].

To the IOA I guess all the human population is expendable - so I guess when the time comes Pegasus [in their opinion] would be a lost cause and Atlantis would be flown back to the Milky Way Galaxy to a nearby solar system or safe world.

shadowspy24

[43]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 11
    It was a good movie and I'm glad they wrapped everything up. What annoyed me though was the fact that if they were gonna bring back the replicators then they should have at least used them against the ori. I was really looking forward to see them fight it out and i was quite disappointed when i realised they weren't gonna fight. Another thing I didn't get was the two ancients kept saying that they really can't do much but they are in the ori galaxy and they can do what they like wwithout repercussions. I thought that their restrictions were only in place in the milky way and pegasus galaxy.

sajwest

[44]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 23

I finally got to see Ark of Truth!........**Thank you Sky One!**.......Now I can last until 28th April when the dvd comes out. lol

Anyway I'm not going into a long review,because I'm not good at them,I'll just say a few things.

The replicator storyline was a little out of place,for me.I'm not sure where it fitted in the overall scheme of things.Nice to see Mitchell get beat up,though LOL...just joking.It was a good scene and the IOA guy that was transformed into a replicator was a little creepy,just as he should be.

I was glad they bought the Doci back,I though he had dropped off the face of the Stargate earth,so to speak.Could have used him a bit more,but never-the-less nice to see him.

About time that Morgan Le Fay did something about Adria!....would have been nice to see more of the battle that ensued..but anyway.

It was good that they finished off the Ori storyline,and rounded things up.

What I said above makes it sound like I didn't like the film,that's not true.I actually loved it.It made me realise how much I miss the series and wish it was back.

Roll on 'Continuum'......and hopefully many more films in the future!

pwells01

[45]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 16

I probably should write a review for the movie, but I haven't yet, for apparently no good reason. I agree with what others have generally said about it. The replicator part was my least favorite part of the movie, as I wanted that to basically end after "The Reckoning" and also after seeing it re-used in Stargate Atlantis. But other than that, I did like the movie a lot, and it did seem like a long SG-1 concluding episode (or two) and a nice closure to the Ori story.

sajwest wrote:

About time that Morgan Le Fay did something about Adria!....would have been nice to see more of the battle that ensued..but anyway.

Yes, it definitely would have been nice if they expanded that battle scene! Out of curiosity, I wonder what restrictions did Adria have in using her powers in the Ori galaxy, and who was watching her there. Why couldn't she do things herself, like destroying the Ark of Truth, for example?

borghl

[46]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'd bring up the point that the Ori were unable to eradicate all artifacts that predated the supposed creation in Origin.

The Ori were unable to keep the resistance from existing.

Why?

As far the the Ark of Truth, I'd say treat it as any of the other artifacts that the Ori could not destroy or keep from the resistance.

dark_element06

[47]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    i m really glad they made an end. It was really annoyed when i saw the last episode and all they had to show was a usual episode that had nothing to do with the ori. The movie was great for the most part of it. The only parts i didn t like were that the team only was together for only half a movie and then they started jumping from character to character and the end of adria: two lights bumping into each other. I would have liked a person on person fight. But i m glad i saw the end of another god-like rulers.

borghl

[48]Mar 25, 2008
    Like a Jedi fight? With glowing energy shooting out from each fighter colliding and shooting energy everywhere?

pwells01

[49]Mar 25, 2008

That would be cool!

I know that the their fight was supposed to be analogous to Anubis vs. Oma, but I'm not convinced this one is supposed to last for all eternity. If Adria flees away to a different galaxy or dimension, Morgan le Fay may not necessarily follow.

About the artifact, if Adria and the Ori army cannot destroy it, she can at least cover it up with a force shield or have it hidden and heavily guarded rather than have it out in the open to allow Jackson to just step up to it, since she knows that if anyone can activate the artifact, he can! Also, she could, of course, just kill the enemies, save Vala. Didn't Cameron say something about if the Ori aren't dead, this would be a short mission? Anyway, the point is that there are many things that she can do, so are there any boundaries for her?

Idbeolderifiwas

[50]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 20
    I thought the Adria/Morgan fight ended with both of them being destroyed? It certainly looked like that when they both just disappeared.

pwells01

[51]Mar 25, 2008

I hope not! It seemed to end like Anubis vs. Oma, and they didn't die.

Anyway, I just thought of a different subplot that the movie could have had, and maybe remove some or all of the replicator plot.

Morgan le Fay had been successfully distracting Adria to keep SG-1 invisible to her, and this allows Daniel, Vala, Tomin, and Teal'c to find the ark. But then they get captured by the Ori. Mitchell and Carter then rescue them and together, as the whole SG-1 group plus Tomin, they fight their way to re-take the ark from the Doci and the followers. As they're making headway, Adria appears to wipe them out, but Morgan le Fay steps in and their battle ensues, so we have two huge battles going on concurrently (with huge fireworks, of course!). SG-1 closes in on the ark, but Adria is beating Morgan le Fay. Eventually, SG-1 successfully gets to the ark and activates it in time to save Morgan le Fay. She and Adria continue to battle to a draw and disappear. The two galaxies are saved. The End.

MajLorne

[52]Mar 25, 2008
    very nice review. I so hope sci-fi would air this movie eventually..

sinar121

[53]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 8

MajLorne wrote:

i think they probably will, maybe in the fall or so. u didn't get the dvd?

sinar121

[54]Mar 25, 2008
    pwells01 wrote:

I hope not! It seemed to end like Anubis vs. Oma, and they didn't die.

Anyway, I just thought of a different subplot that the movie could have had, and maybe remove some or all of the replicator plot.

Morgan le Fay had been successfully distracting Adria to keep SG-1 invisible to her, and this allows Daniel, Vala, Tomin, and Teal'c to find the ark. But then they get captured by the Ori. Mitchell and Carter then rescue them and together, as the whole SG-1 group plus Tomin, they fight their way to re-take the ark from the Doci and the followers. As they're making headway, Adria appears to wipe them out, but Morgan le Fay steps in and their battle ensues, so we have two huge battles going on concurrently (with huge fireworks, of course!). SG-1 closes in on the ark, but Adria is beating Morgan le Fay. Eventually, SG-1 successfully gets to the ark and activates it in time to save Morgan le Fay. She and Adria continue to battle to a draw and disappear. The two galaxies are saved. The End.

me kinda likes this for 2 reasons

1. Morgan Le Fay sacrifices herself to help SG-1, instead of acting sorta like a coward. this is like a continuation to her risking to give info to SG-1 before.

2. SG-1 fights as a unit again

it could be better than the replicator stuff. this time the replicator used the 101 Terminator model instead of the T-1000!

MajLorne

[55]Mar 26, 2008
    sinar121 wrote:

MajLorne wrote:

i think they probably will, maybe in the fall or so. u didn't get the dvd?

Not yet, I guess I just want to watch it on tv first b4 buying the DVD. Probably also to wait and see if they eventually have a special addition full of 'new features' just to get people to buy again.

G_Threat

[56]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    I just want to know how much money did they earn by selling this movie on dvd?

Idbeolderifiwas

[57]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 20
    G_Threat wrote:
    I just want to know how much money did they earn by selling this movie on dvd?

So far, close to 5 million dollars. Keep in mind that it has yet to be released internationally, so that figure should be doubled or more. This is good news because the budget was 7 million, so hopefully if the sales are good enough for the Ark of Truth and Continuum we will get to see another movie.

borghl

[58]Mar 26, 2008
    pwells01 wrote:

That would be cool!

I know that the their fight was supposed to be analogous to Anubis vs. Oma, but I'm not convinced this one is supposed to last for all eternity. If Adria flees away to a different galaxy or dimension, Morgan le Fay may not necessarily follow.

About the artifact, if Adria and the Ori army cannot destroy it, she can at least cover it up with a force shield or have it hidden and heavily guarded rather than have it out in the open to allow Jackson to just step up to it, since she knows that if anyone can activate the artifact, he can! Also, she could, of course, just kill the enemies, save Vala. Didn't Cameron say something about if the Ori aren't dead, this would be a short mission? Anyway, the point is that there are many things that she can do, so are there any boundaries for her?

okay, there's a problem with your other plot. Morgan cannot take on Adria until Adria's powers are diminished. And for that to happen, a Prior or the Doci have to look into the activated Ark. Otherwise, Morgan would not survive a battle with Adria. I know you said Adria was beating Morgan, but it wouldn't be like that. Adria's power is just too great for Morgan to even try to take on.

Also, if Adria tries to flee the battle she's in with Morgan, Morgan has to follow her, otherwise, who or what would stop Adria from finding another galaxy, starting another race of Humans, and forcing them to worship her, starting the whole thing over again. No, Adria and Morgen Le Fay have to be in an eternal battle like Anubis and Oma.

eh.

sinar121

[59]Mar 26, 2008

me don't know how Morgan Le Fay suddenly was able to match Adria. i mean, so the priors know the truth, but there are still millions or billions of worshippers out there. i don't think these followers channel their worship powers to the doci or priors first, but i dunno, maybe

borghl

[60]Mar 26, 2008
    I think the Priors are the conduit through which the powers get passed. Once the Priors no longer believe, the conduit through which the collective power flows no longer exists.

The Milky Way people are being forced into submission, and not everybody has turned. And the majority of the worshippers are in the Ori galaxy, so when those Priors were shown the truth, Adria's powers were very nearly completely dimished.