We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

mikecanada

[1]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 13
      Editor's Note As this was one of the first threads, and seems to have among the most psoters so far, I'm going to go ahead and "promote" this thread to official status and pin it for discussion. For the sake of convenience, please direct all discussion of the cancellation to this thread.

Please use personal blogs to organize petitions, and use your signature to advertise them. This will help to avoid multiple competing petitions.

Other threads will be locked.

-----
    According to Stargate-sg1-solutions sg1 has been cancelled:

heres the info from there site:

Network cancels Stargate SG-1 as 200th episode airs

While
    fans and the media celebrate the airing of the milestone 200th episode
    of Stargate SG-1, Solutions has learned from its sources that the SciFi
    Channel has cancelled the show. The timing could not be worse for such
    a decision from the network and is sure to rebound on them disastrously
    in PR terms.

The news was reported by the authoritative cable industry bible Multichannel News on its website today: click here to read the full story.

“People close to the production of Stargate SG-1 said Sci Fi Channel canceled the series on the eve of its 200th episode, which aired last Friday night, making the show the first cable scripted series to reach such a milestone.

The announcement came in
    sometime before cast, crew and executives gathered to celebrate the
    historic airing at a Saturday-evening bash held at the Pan Pacific
    Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, where the series is shot.

Spinoff series Stargate Atlantis — which also airs Friday nights on Sci Fi and shares producers and production facilities with the older SG-1 — was said to be unaffected by the cancellation. Atlantis is currently in its third season.”

Fans
    have been well aware of the recent silence from SciFi Channel, always
    so quick to publicise ratings in the past. Season 10 premiered to lower
    ratings than previous seasons and has gone on to garner a series low.
    In fact, Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 has earned ratings similar to those
    which led to the cancellation of Farscape by SciFi Channel as Stargate
    SG-1 was launching on SciFriday.

Heres the link to solutions for the full story:
    http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=650
    Edited on 08/22/2006 2:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

staurophobic

[2]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    SciFi cancelled it, not the company who makes it (unless SciFi took over the rights), so it doesn't mean that it's necessarily over...

But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of Stargate, anyway. All my favourite shows are ending at the moment, so go figure.

kanniballl

[3]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 18
    If this is true (and I'm skeptical) I can't say I'm that sad.  The show was great, and is still decent, but it's starting to drag on a little.  After a show has been on for so long it's kind of necessary to just let it go. 

• It stops being "fresh"
    • The actors are either getting too old or their new replacements are just not up to par.
    • Plotlines start getting recycled, or episodes just start blending together in memory
    • In this case, each new enemy is vastly superior than the last.  Following this trend, either the next new enemies will be insanely powerful or they will have to COMPLETELY change the format of the show (like Earth has been invaded and a small rag-tag group of rebels use the gate to get rid of their occupiers).

It's been a great memory, and the shows are still entertaining to me.  But seriously, if SciFi wants to commit euthenasia then power to them.  I just hope the actors find success elsewhere as they are talented, and after so many years they feel so familiar that you just "want" them to have a good life.

vinan

[4]Aug 21, 2006
    I hope this isnt true, thats all I have to say about this news.

LtAgathon

[5]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    I'm quite skeptical about this. I think that SG1 is still a good show and that it can still be a great part of the SciFi Channel, but if it is true I bet it's not the end of the show. Firefly got Serenity, I bet the fans could probably get this show on another network no problem.

gmvail23

[6]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 50

Unfortunately Gateworld.com is reporting the same news and they are just about the best sorce of Stargate info. Here's the link http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/istargate_sg-1i_cancelled_iatlan.shtml 

All I can say is this just makes me feel numb. I know that all good things come to an end but I just not ready for Stargate to be one of them.

LtAgathon

[7]Aug 21, 2006
    Yeah, Gateworld is the best when it comes to the gate, but they're also reporting that Robert Cooper is saying that SG1 will go on in one way or another. So I am hopeful that other networks might be interested.

Jeeiang

[8]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    if scifi did cancel it...MGM could take it somewhere else...whoever wants to pick it up...MGM has all the rights to stargate so ....i just hope its not all the way ended.

Spinobreaker

[9]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tell me im in a nghitmare...

123home123

[10]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 56
    It's seems like MGM is thinking more along the lines of occasional miniseries, TV movies or feature films rather than continuing the show on another network. It has appeared that the show has been running out of steam this season anyway. Maybe a change of format (occasional TV movies) would be good for the franchise.

LtAgathon

[11]Aug 21, 2006
    I just hate to see this happen to Ben and Claudia again.

Minarvia

[12]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 39
    This clearly shows what happen to a good show when a network fools around with a wining format. I loved SG-1 when it was on 8:00, but at last we still have Alantis, and let's hope that Alantis lasts as long as SG-1 did.

moviebuff82

[13]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 11

Sci-Fi has confirmed the cancellation. It was released on the Sci-Fi Wire.

qwed88

[14]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    Why are they doing this? They just got new cast members, and set up a whole new story line, atleast give the series one more season and allow it to tie everything up, instead of screwing us like they've done with every other scifi series.

Lippydrk2k3

[15]Aug 21, 2006
    well me being an avid watcher and fan....im sad to see this go...but this season started out so boring for me...that the storyline were getting dull...i myself found number 200 just OK also 100 just OK as well.  the only 2 good episodes this season was the third one and the preimere. 

I hope this lives on another network...maybe USA Network after the 4400.  or maybe before it.  maybe as a miniseries on scifi. but  from time to time i only liked a few Earthsea, Triangle, and Peacekepper wars. 

Alantis is starting to be a better show the few crossover shows they had were awesome.  and may there be many seasons of that still to come beyond season 4.

Minarvia

[16]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 39

Lippydrk2k3 wrote:

I hope this lives on another network...maybe USA Network after the 4400.  or maybe before it.  maybe as a miniseries on scifi. but  from time to time i only liked a few Earthsea, Triangle, and Peacekepper wars. 

I don't think if does land on another network, it won't be on USA, because USA is owned by the company that owns SF. Manny fans are thinking that maybe Spike might be the next network to get this series. Miniseries might be a good thing, but I hope that it not a two part one, maybe a three or four part one.

Lippydrk2k3

[17]Aug 21, 2006
    Spike eh?  shall be interesting...i was only thinking USA simply because Dead Zone and Monk are going to leave soon.  Spike come to think it only has Blade as a scripted series and TNA Wrestling hmm. ...but here me out if WWE comes to Scifi....which i pray they wont maybe Stargate Mondays?  just wishing 

parizada

[18]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 11

Aw man I'm soooo depressed!

I can't believe this is happening. It's not fair. They can't cancel a series just when they've brought in new characters and plots and themes! I'm just living in hope now that it'll be picked up by another channel.

Just a reminder to ALL fans who want to see the series continue: keep posting on as many forums as possible and lobby for this series as much as you can. Believe it or not, if enough fans start complaining; someone will take notice and hopefully that someone will be another channel and they'll do something about it. Maybe its just wishfull thinking but look at what happened to Firefly: it got cancelled. Fans went nuts on the forums - We got Serenity -Then Firefly came out on DVD and became a cult hit!

mikecanada

[19]Aug 21, 2006
    This from Rob, talking to Gateworld:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/cooper_isg-1i_will_go_on.shtml

.....executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been
    confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying.
    SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this
    week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate
    fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's
    ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important
    is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching,"
    he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE
    and make sure the ratings stay strong."

SG-1 had damn well better go on...and it had better be that glorious "everyone is coming back for it" movie that's been talked about the past few months. Either way it won't be the same...I want my SG-1 series

staurophobic

[20]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 9
    LtAgathon wrote:
    I just hate to see this happen to Ben and Claudia again.

A curse, mebbye? (I only started watching Farscape a few days ago... Still unsure about it.)

qwed88 wrote:
    Why are they doing this? They just got new cast members, and set up a whole new story line

Quite possibly the reason. People might not like the changes enough to continue watching. It's happened before.