Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

vinan

[41]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 13
    Im trying to put a good spin on this news.

I mean how many shows go out when its doing well in its 10th season.  NONE.  Maybe ending it here is a way of preserving one of the best shows ever created.

I mean this september I got alot of shows to watch anyway (Heroes, Jericho, Six Degrees, Studio 60 and it goes on), and we will always have Battlestar Gallactica.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sasg_2

[42]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 52
    It's importnat for fans to prove to the SCi-fi channel that they made a mistake and if this is the show's last season the fans should make sure they go out with a blast by watching and giving the show high ratings.

I got this from gateworld:

Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching," he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE and make sure the ratings stay strong.

"That helps prove to other outlets that might be interested in SG-1 that the show is still as strong as we think it is."

Could Stargate SG-1 find its way to yet another network in 2007? Or might the SG-1 team be headed for a TV movie, mini-series, direct-to-video feature ... or the big screen? Stay with GateWorld for the latest developments.

Stargate SG-1 Season Ten continues with all-new episodes this Friday at 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific on SCI FI, followed by Stargate Atlantis at 10 p.m.!

Thanks for reading.

vinan

[43]Aug 22, 2006
    It would be interesting is really Sci-fi had no intention of cancelling the show and using this announcement as a way to boost ratings. Im sure its been done before. Or maybe im clutching at straws.

sasg_2

[44]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 52
    vinan wrote:
    It would be interesting is really Sci-fi had no intention of cancelling the show and using this announcement as a way to boost ratings. Im sure its been done before. Or maybe im clutching at straws.

That
    thought crossed my mind but why do it to boost the ratings of SG-1 alone and not SGA too? Both shows have been having low ratings.
    Plus, and this is what makes me even more confused, episode 200 had a 1.9 average household rating. That's the best rating of the seasosn if I'm not mistaken.

Rovy

[45]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 3
    How does this affect SkyOne in Britain? Are they a Sci-Fi affiliate?

In any case, I really would be disappointed with anything BUT a series. I just hope Sci-Fi and whoever goes with SG1 don't fight with each other and say no crossovers...

Minarvia

[46]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 39

sasg_2 wrote:
    vinan wrote:

That thought crossed my mind but why do it to boost the ratings of SG-1 alone and not SGA too? Both shows have been having low ratings.
    Plus, and this is what makes me even more confused, episode 200 had a 1.9 average household rating. That's the best rating of the seasosn if I'm not mistaken.

I can't believe that this threat would appear in here, but it look like it happen, and you point is a valiate one and "200" rattings where the type that SF was looking for.

Spinobreaker

[47]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 10
    just when i thought nothing could overshadow episode 200 i was wrong
    i will miss this show and if its canceled and i was one of the writers i would say screw the budget lets go out with a bang

darkmind-tvtome

[48]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 11
    i cant imagine it being picked up by another network unfortunately, having already been rescued from showtime, it just seems a bit implausible, not least as the reason for cancelling is apparently ratings, so to be picked up, it would need to be by a smaller network, who would be grateful for a 1.9 share.

the most likely outcome i can imagine is that sci fi change their minds, either in the face of fan action or improved figures, unfortunately dvd sales and international viewing figures will be unlikely to factor in to the equation as sci fi doesnt benefit from that.

i agree with a few of the other posters here, sg1 still has something to offer, something thats quite unique compared to what else is out at the minute. whereas battlestar has a sprawling, arching, quite dark storyline (not speaking ill of battlestar, just highlighting a distinction), sg1 is more episodic, and lighter, it made for a good balance between these shows.

i sincerely hope there will be a turnaround on this decision

crashedalien

[49]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 7

Yes it is terrible news that SG-1 is going but look at it this way, we still have Atlantis and that means that the producers still have a way of continuing the SG-1 story. This means that the cancellation is no way near as tragic as those of Farscape, Firefly or any number of other series that were cut down in their prime and left the viewers with nothing other than the dreams of possible future projects.

I would hope that the series has a definitive end,however if they want to really make things interesting they shouldn't make it too happy (remember that we have Atlantis to sort out any problems left by SG-1). Therefore I say that SG-1 should end with a full scale invasion of Earth and leave SG-1 either dead (see the end of Blake's 7 for inspiration) or in the hands of the enemy. That leaves Atlantis cut off from our galaxy and truely alone in Pegasus but also opens up the possibility of future attempts by the Atlantis crew to save Earth and thus give them a mission with a bit more purpose.

Of course assuming the characters do survive you can almost guarentee that they will be showing up in Atlantis next year!

rh10465

[50]Aug 22, 2006
    It sucks, I just hope they end it right. Beside who else can they fight after the ORI

darkmind-tvtome

[51]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 11
    Rovy wrote:
    How does this affect SkyOne in Britain? Are they a Sci-Fi affiliate?

In any case, I really would be disappointed with anything BUT a series. I just hope Sci-Fi and whoever goes with SG1 don't fight with each other and say no crossovers...

sky one will air the eps that are made, and thats it, they're not involved in production. if another network were to pick it up sky would likely have to hash out a new deal with whoever else is carrying it, and mgm/sony, who actually produce it.

sky one isnt a sci-fi affiliate, it just has the first run uk rights, which means they air it before any one else in the uk, some time after that (as dictated by the deal sky make with sony/mgm) channel 4 airs it

actressSLCT06

[52]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 10
    I really hope Richard Dean Anderson is back for the last few episode, because what would the end of the series be without Jack. Come on.

thorvath

[53]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 6
    /mourn

mikecanada

[54]Aug 22, 2006
    I was just watching the local news and they had 2 of the shows directors on
    And they said that they have wanted to end the show during the past 2 seasons
    And that MGM will defenitly do some tv movies and possibly a motion picture

Formula_50

[55]Aug 22, 2006
    To be honest, I did not like the writing in the last two seasons. That said, I will definitely miss the original cast. Sci Fi does have a history of recycling their actors. I look forward to seeing Amanda Tapping or Christopher Judge in another series. Maybe even their own. I will not miss the two rejects from Farscape. No offense to the fans of that show.

Lippydrk2k3

[56]Aug 22, 2006
    all you are missing one thing after september they will stop it till March then air the last 10.

I believe it should have ended at season 8, however with ben and clauida as new additions, and the fact with a new storyline with a history/medieval twist, it HAD  potiential.

I hope as i stated in my last few post it will live on.some other medium.  remember when serenity came out and somone was attempting to do Firefly season 2, only with straight to DVD, maybe that will happen.

Lippydrk2k3

[57]Aug 22, 2006
    and the long awaited SG-1 Movie?  when will that show up.

i think this was all planned i could be wrong.

-MGM wanting to do 2 more Sequels
    -Season 10 Airs  to Low ratings
    -Scifi cancels SG1
    -USA renews 440 for a 4th season

jokipper

[58]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 50

Ironically, earlier this month I had posted a message about how TV ratings are contrived, and I had praised the Sci-Fi channel for keeping shows like SG-1 ongoing. The truth is, no one will know if we watch this last season or not. The fates of all TV shows are in the hands of less than 10000 viewers, the random ones who are surveyed. Has anyone here ever been surveyed? No one knows if YOU have been watching SG-1 or not. This is the tragedy.

Watching this last season won't matter. Keeping the interest level high (by letters, emails, and other direct actions, including posting literate messages on fansites) is the only effective way to keep SG-1 living.

Edited on 08/22/2006 10:35pm

napster_sl

[59]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 6
    I hope this isnt true.............

Clemontine

[60]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 23
    Formula_50 wrote:
    To be honest, I did not like the writing in the last two seasons. That said, I will definitely miss the original cast. Sci Fi does have a history of recycling their actors. I look forward to seeing Amanda Tapping or Christopher Judge in another series. Maybe even their own. I will not miss the two rejects from Farscape. No offense to the fans of that show.

Good point. It will be nice to see the actors in other things, see how they fare. Well, concerning the end, I think they should either end it completely with the season 10 finale, go to another network, or have a feature film. TV movies or a miniseries just seem too cheap for SG-1.

I really dont like the idea of SG-1 dying in the finale, but they do have to have something happen to explain the lack of involvment in Atlantis. Perhaps the program will be shut down and the gate moved to a new location as a possible subject for the rumoured new spin-off. But I DO NOT want earth to find out about the gate. That would ruin all believability.