Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

kila177anja12o

[81]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 23
    I thought it could have at least one more season. but i do see how the story lines are getting a bit stretched.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LtAgathon

[82]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 3
    I can't accept a miniseries, I want the show back. I think that the Farscape miniseries turned out pretty bad because everything happening seemed rushed due to the fact that they were puuting a season's worth of plot into one miniseries and I don't want that to happen to SG-1. So i'm just gonna shoot for another network and hope for the best.

jstnxprsn

[83]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 5
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    Edited on 08/23/2006 6:16pm

sasg_2

[84]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 52
    LtAgathon wrote:
    I can't accept a miniseries, I want the show back. I think that the Farscape miniseries turned out pretty bad because everything happening seemed rushed due to the fact that they were puuting a season's worth of plot into one miniseries and I don't want that to happen to SG-1. So i'm just gonna shoot for another network and hope for the best.

I would like a mini-series and I did like the farscape mini-series. But I'd prefer more seasosn or a movie.

rellenh

[85]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 4
    While I'm sad that Stargate SG1 is cancelled, I can't say that I'm surprised. It ran its course and to drag it out will only decrease value and laughter it brought.

Clemontine

[86]Aug 23, 2006
    LordNiall wrote:

Clemontine wrote:
    How can they do that? Have two things (the series and sequels movie) continuing from the same source that contradict? Unless the sequel movie is something that could have happenen in SG-1 off screen. If there are things in the sequel movie that contradict SG-1 I think that would be stupid.

they can do it. They did it with "Highlander".first came the 2 Highlander movies, then the series, then another highlander movie, the funny thing is that the series was still on when the 3rd movie was made. Basically what the viewers have to do is seperate the movies from the series and regard them as alternate universes.
    Erik

I get that, but its still stupid.

vinan

[87]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 13
    On regards to the rumoured sequels. I believe the annoucement was basically to get people to do exactly what were doing. And seeing what people would want etc and if it would be a good idea to make them.

In the end I doubt there will be any stargate movie sequels.

As for mini-series.

I dont think I would mind it to be honest. It would save on the budget, no filler episodes and im sure it will gain massive ratings when there on.

In the end, all I want is THIS stargate universe (or dimension or whatever) to carry on existing even if it isnt a proper season.

Auntie_Am

[88]Aug 23, 2006
    So what does SCI-FI plan to do with itself now that they've booted one of the very few watchable programs on their channel? More wrestling? More C-grade monster movies? Do they honestly think the audience they've been building will stick around for that dreck? I like SG-Atlantis, Eureka, and Battlestar Galactica--but never, ever stick around to watch anything else. (*Unless they have a B5 re-showing.)

Homer1894Gamma

[89]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 11

On August 21st, 2006, shortly after the 200th episode of Stargate SG-1 aired, SciFi announced the show would not be renewed after it's tenth season. The Reasons why are:

1. the 10th Season of Stargate SG-1 has fallen from 2.5 million viewers in the 9th season to 1.3 million viewers in the 10th. This is due to the fact that SG-1 has had a time slot change, and that SciFi has not run nearly enough advertisements as needed, or as many in the 9th Season.

2. SciFi thinks that SG-1 has had its day and a good run, and rather than running more advertisements, SciFi thinks it is better to deny SG-1 of its potential, rather than letting it continue.

What fans can do to help are:

1. Watch all the episodes of Stargate SG-1 when they come out. don't tivo it or record it, because that doesn't count in the ratings. Watch the episode when it comes out, Friday, 9:00 p.m. SciFi, I urge you.

2. Sign any petitions you find. You can go to www.petitiononline.com and go to the save Stargate SG-1 petition, and any others you find. Also try and convince anyone else you know who like Stargate SG-1 to watch it when it airs and sign any petitions they find.

3. Buy the DVD's. This will prove SG-1's cult value and that it has a large and devoted fanbase.

Fans of SG-1 have gotten lucky. We know the tenth season will end in March, and we can try and keep it alive in that time. If enough people watch it up to that time, If the ratings are good enough, then SciFi might reverse its decision. If not, the we, the fans, should enjoy Stargate SG-1 while it is still on. But if the ratings increase, if the petitions work, then SG-1 will continue, and we will be able to further explore the Stargate universe through it's greatest and richest force, Stargate SG-1.

- The SG-1 Origin

parizada

[90]Aug 23, 2006

I agree totally and i Implore you....please, every fan in the USA, watch the series WHEN IT AIRS and the rest of us will do our bit as well by buying dvd etc. Sign every petition you find and tell anyone you know who likes the series to sign them as well. Or alternatively, do what i do...bookmark the petition sites into your favourites (if you have a laptop) and when you see your friends you can encourage them to sign it then and there.

Keep it Alive people...most of the petitions have over 10 000 signatures already...and that's within 3 days of the big announcement...and we have till MARCH... so just imagine the results we could get in that time if we just keep informing other fans and friends of the petitions.

Gantros

[91]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    All they need to do to reinvigorate the series is to reveal the existence of the Stargate to the earth population. It adds a completely new dynamic to the series, which gives the woefully negelcted political aspect of the series a new place of prominance. The first season of a spin-off that continues where SG-1 left off, Stargate: Fifth Race (a reference to the SG-1 episode of the same name) could develop into the expansion of colonists from Earth to various worlds in both the Milky Way and Pegasus, and the political consequences therein. Sort of like Firefly in that respect. Threats would include the Ori and Baal (In the Milky Way), the Asurans and Wraith (In Pegasus), and perhaps Earth based political factions (dictatorships, religious groups, etc.). The low ratings for SG-1, I believe, are the result that the Stargate SG-1 Universe has grown too big to fit the "Secret Miltary operation" that it started as, it's time for the earth to expand it's borders.

Clemontine

[92]Aug 23, 2006
    Gantros wrote:
    All they need to do to reinvigorate the series is to reveal the existence of the Stargate to the earth population. It adds a completely new dynamic to the series, which gives the woefully negelcted political aspect of the series a new place of prominance. The first season of a spin-off that continues where SG-1 left off, Stargate: Fifth Race (a reference to the SG-1 episode of the same name) could develop into the expansion of colonists from Earth to various worlds in both the Milky Way and Pegasus, and the political consequences therein. Sort of like Firefly in that respect. Threats would include the Ori and Baal (In the Milky Way), the Asurans and Wraith (In Pegasus), and perhaps Earth based political factions (dictatorships, religious groups, etc.). The low ratings for SG-1, I believe, are the result that the Stargate SG-1 Universe has grown too big to fit the "Secret Miltary operation" that it started as, it's time for the earth to expand it's borders.

A big change like that isnt necessarily a good thing. I mean adding two new main characters and changing the enemy was a big change, but it seems a lot didnt like that. Why do you think politics would be better welcomed by sci-fi fans?

I, personally, love the fact that SG-1 is our time, our world, unlike most sci-fi. But if earth knew about the gate, it would no longer be our world. I would be some other version of earth. It would be very disappoint. It would ruin the fantasy.
    Edited on 08/23/2006 9:12pm

parizada

[93]Aug 24, 2006

I don't know if this has been posted here yet (I haven't gone thru all the posts), but for all of those out there who, like me, were hoping another network would pick up the series and save us, it is not to be. The blood-suckers at Sci-Fi have screwed us over with that as well:

"Stern added that under terms of its contract, the network’s decision to cancel the series prohibits MGM from making any new episodes of the show to air on U.S. television" (from http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=24)

Sci-Fi really knows how to royally screw up the best thing to hit their channel. So now the only chances of a renewal lie with Sci-Fi overturning their decision...which i personally find really unlikely.

But while I'm at it, i would like to once more pronounce my undying love and affection for MGM and all who work for them, from the guys who make the coffee right up to their top exec's: they have publicly announced their support for the SG-1 franchise and will do all they can to ensure it lives on in some way. It wont be the same as a series but that's really not up to them and I applaud them with all my heart for not just leaving SG-1 for dead. 

T1m2

[94]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 6
    is there any petitions on the internet that we can sign???

Vessa289

[95]Aug 24, 2006
    They say they may do a series of TV movies following SG-1. I suppose that's much better than nothing, but of course, it's not the same as tuning in every week. It sounds like all the writers and producers behind the show don't want to go down without a fight. Good for them, I'm with them all the way.

meleeunbeatable

[96]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 46
    Yeah movies are better than nothing, that is if they happen.

philmore9

[97]Aug 24, 2006

I was devastated when I heard the news. I've only really been into the show for a couple years, but in that time I have poured myself into it. I guess it kind of filled a void when the Star Trek franchise died and now this is being taken away as well. I've made it a point from now on to think of the wonderful, albeit brief time I've known it.  And hey, at least there's still Atlantis for another year. And Smallville. I think Grull said it best at the end of 200 when he said science fiction is an allegory and it could represent the thing that saves us if we are to be saved at all.

Haha, just thought I'd throw in a Jack Handy moment. But seriously, it sucks but I'll get over it. Who knows, I might even get into Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy or some other sub-intellectual unmitigated crap that the networks want us to watch instead of high quality, mind-expanding writing. 

Edited on 08/24/2006 3:32pm

Clemontine

[98]Aug 24, 2006
    I was very glad when I read the update today about the gate reopening. Movies can be exciting, even though they are TV movies. I guess it is realistic since they probably wouldnt make enough as feature films. But movies will be exciting because each one will be packed. They wouldnt make clip movies, filler movies, or random first contact movies. They will be great. I hope at the end of the season the team splits and goes there own way, as they almost did between season 8 and 9. Then the movies can be about threats so big that only SG-1 can stop it, and they have to reunite. Lol, so cheesy, but I love it.

LordYoshi

[99]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    I just sent this in an email:

I have read that you have decided to bring Stargate SG-1 to an end this season. I would like to let you know how disappointed I am with this desision. Stargate SG-1 is the best Sci-Fi show since Star Trek: The Next Generation and is better in several ways. I have never enjoyed a show as much as I enjoy Stargate SG-1. I only recently became a fan of the show through the DVD releases and have bought 8 seasons slimpacks. I was looking forward to catching up and tuning in for new episodes. I was very happy to learn that Richard Dean Anderson will be in some of the episodes. I tuned into see the 200th episode out of anticipation of his return. (I was however was shocked that Corin Nemec was not in it. I was a huge fan of Jonas Quinn and feel he needs to return. Additionaly he was the only one left out.) I am not alone when I say I am dissapointed. There weren't this many people upset when the X-files ended and I was a fan of that show. In fact, the X-files used to be my favorite show until I discovered Stargate SG-1. Please consider continuing your fabalous show Stargate SG-1. Seeing the orignal four SG-1 together again was just what the show needed. Get O'Neil back out there and keep that gate open!

poggie

[100]Aug 25, 2006
    We're losing sci-fi shows like mad... Unfair.

I accept that they want to bow out on a good note, if indeed they do can it and it doesnt get picked up elsewhere, but man.. In my opinion there are still many avenues to explore, I mean they dragged the goa'uld out for so many years, and the ori are pretty narky..

buh, I dont wanna have zero shows to look forward to, so take this off, and then it's just BSG and Atlantis, and who knows, ratings might plummet for either at any given time and blammo, off it goes.

Look at all the sci fi shows recently.. All canned.

Decent sci fi shows anyway, not soppy roswell type clones...

Angry Angy Poggie.. 8[