Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

parizada

[121]Aug 26, 2006
    • level: 11
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    Edited on 08/26/2006 11:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Clemontine

[122]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 23
    poggie wrote:
    Here is you quote to me -

"Well, we would probably all call ourselves die hard fans, but I also
    think I am the real thing. How can you be a die hard fan yet not like
    season 9?
    "

Notice the "yet not like season 9?" part. What else does that mean ?

Now you failed to point out where I stated that I did not like season 9. Simple.

So Apology accepted.

Sorry, I can see how that could have been confusing. I should have worded it better. The "you" was general. I was just refering that all the ppl who dont like season 9.

Orlin

[123]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 8

I've been a fan of SG-1 for the last five years (ever since it was basic cable lol  ). I can understand it coming to a close before the plotlines get stretched so thin that you'd think they weren't trying anymore, like a certain other show that shall remain nameless. I can see one of the regular cast members, (ie. Daniel) giving their life and destroying the ori ships in some brilliant explosion, a short montage with a few clips of the others in shock, crying, etcetera, and then going on with some recently made-up unbelievable plan and using Moros/Mirdin/Merlin's device to effectively block out the Ori. We laugh, we cry, and we move on with our lives.

natemares

[124]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    SciFi won't allow MGM to sell the show to any other US Networks. I don't think the show is streching story lines concidering its a whole new enemy that operates in a whole new way. With new cast members to help with the new enemy. But if SciFi won't allow the show to continue on another network they really and truely suck and I hate the idiots. If they won't allow the show to continue else where they really don't give a hell about the fans at all. Thats why I say SciFi sucks because they cancel it and say no you can't take it else wear.

furiousfunk

[125]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 13
    This was  a straight money move by Sci-Fi. MGM owns Stargate SG-1 and all the profits from the syndication goes to MGM. Sci-Fi wants to push that new show Eureka so they shove SG-1 out of the way and hope to score with their show and all the syndication profits. Write Sci-Fi and tell them to bring SG-1 back and tell them how there is no other reason to watch their crap channel without the Sci-Fi block of SG-1, Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica. I wondered earlier in the season why they moved SG-1 to 9PM and no Battlestar Galactica until October. They forced the ratings down on SG-1 by giving it pure crap as a lead-in and no Battlestar anchor for the evening. Sci-Fi must be jealous of Fox and Showtime and want to be known as the biggest idiot jerk executives in Television.

LtAgathon

[126]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 3

Actually, the reason for Battlestar Galactica not starting until October is due to the fact that the creators of Galactica wanted more time for developing it. They felt that the second season was rushed and therefore they made some episodes that they felt were really bad and out of character. Their first season was only 13 episodes but the second was, of course, 20 and they were racing time to get through it. Therefore, they asked SciFi if they could move it back. I know SciFi makes several idiotic decisions but this was actually an act to improve the plot of BSG by its creators. 

scottjoc

[127]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 10
    All television channels are jerks, they cancel things without regard the first chance they get... in this case "Stargate SG-1 is now the longest series so we do not have to bother with it anymore". Wish Showtime had kept SG-1.

philmore9

[128]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 6

Sci fi execs should be kicked in the groin. So you wanna cancel the longest running science-fiction show and by far the longest running show on cable, ok. Seems like a damn foolish thing to do esp when the show has such a devoted fan following you have a chance of ostracizing all the viewers you do have, but if you wanna hang yourself.... But to create a contract which ties MGM's hands and says you can't produce on another network is venomous. How selfish can you get? I understand it just business, but Showtime wasn't that greedy. Or maybe it's insecurity. Sci fi scared that the one thing people actually tune in for might continue to do well if they cut it? What *ussies. If they really do put wrestling there I swear to God....Who the f watches wresting anyway? I'm so tired of that dreck.

Anyway, does anyone know how this will affect the story arc? I assume they already have most of them taped already and prolly the scripts for most if not all. How rushed will the last 8 or so eps feel? Damn I hate network control.

Edited on 08/27/2006 10:36am

sparker1976

[129]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    They need to finish the Ori arc first.

That's the biggest problem with story-driven shows. They often get cancelled before the story is over. See Invasion, Sliders, etc. (and especially Threshold)

They'd better not do that to SG-1.

Clemontine

[130]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 23
    sparker1976 wrote:
    They need to finish the Ori arc first.

That's the biggest problem with story-driven shows. They often get cancelled before the story is over. See Invasion, Sliders, etc. (and especially Threshold)

They'd better not do that to SG-1.

Ah hem! Dark Angel.

Orlin

[131]Aug 27, 2006

natemares wrote:
    SciFi won't allow MGM to sell the show to any other US Networks. I don't think the show is streching story lines concidering its a whole new enemy that operates in a whole new way. With new cast members to help with the new enemy. But if SciFi won't allow the show to continue on another network they really and truely suck and I hate the idiots. If they won't allow the show to continue else where they really don't give a hell about the fans at all. Thats why I say SciFi sucks because they cancel it and say no you can't take it else wear.

What I meant to say is that I think SG-1 is one of the greatest shows ever to brace the airwaves, but if it continues into another ten seasons, it might eventually just become another mindless, tedious, and repetitive show, just like all the other new dramas, on, say, ABC for example.

LordNiall

[132]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 15
    I watched Monday Night Raw last night on the scifi channel and while i didn't see every commercial I didn't see one blessed ad for Either of the Stargate Shows. I saw Ads for Dead Like Me and Eureka, as well as their season finale of who wants to be a superhero(geez I hope it's not "Fat Mama" that wins).
    Proof Positive that Scifi routinely kills their shows by not promoting them. they did that with Farscape.
    Erik

kyuubinokitsune

[133]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 3
    MGM owns the rights to Stargate SG-1, not Sci-Fi.  They are the ones that actually make every episode, then they sell the show to those who play it.  Proof in fact, FOX shows SG1 episodes (although they are old ones) and it was MGM that game makers had to go to to get approval for a SG1 game.  (Alghough the game failed and was never released because MGM just sat on their hands hoping that the offer would eventually die so they could make their own game).
    The likely event of this is that MGM will give the show over to someone else, likely FOX, and they will pick up the pieces.  Then, Sci-Fi will see a sharp decline in their ratings, realize that they made a terrible mistake, ane will then try to get SG1 back.

That will go one of two ways:

If they succeed, MGM and fans will be quite wery of them and very detail oriented, looking at every little move they make with hightened emphesis.

OR

If they dont succeed, the show will continue on another network.  Sci-Fi will likely loose Atlantis and Battlestar in the back lash, both likely moving to where ever SG1 moves to as the same Science Fiction Block.

Now, as for why this happened, Sci-Fi is likely doing exactly what someone else said.  They just wanted their own Sci-Fi series "Eureka".  Plus, looking back, it seems that they have been pulling SG1 along, looking for the prefect chance to pull something off of it that they can call their own.  And they just got it a few seasons back... Atlantis.  And as for why they didnt just drop SG1 a while back.  Atlantis was unproven.  It was new and people dont always like what's new.  But now, it seems strange that they would drop SG1 while keeping Atlantis.

And dont anyone say, "Its because SG1 has been around for so many seasons, and Atlanits hasnt."
    That is just an excuse.  Atlantis is directly derived from SG1, it is like saying that Star Trek TNG has nothing to do with Star Trek TOS.  It is directly derived from the original series.  Although it features its own characters, things that that were featured in the original were just featured over again in TNG.  (EXAMPLE:  In the original series, an intense gravitational force caused water to act on the brain like liquer.  Intoixcating the entire crew.  And just before they are destoryed, they are saved when DR McCoy finds a cure.  In TNG, this time it is a collapsing star that causes it.  And just before they are destoyed, the doctor fined a cure and they manadge to escape.)

Saying that it has been aroud for a while is like saying, "Well it is classic, so we need to get rid of it."  You dont see us destorying "I, Robot" which is a classic science fiction novel.  You dont see us saying that we should tear down the White House because it has been around for 300 years.  You dont see us saying, "Well the constitution is really old, so we need to create a new one."  As things get older, they either decay, like the Star Trek Empire, or they continue to flouish, becoming a massive forest.  Star Trek simply didnt have the stamina to keep going when there were other science fiction series out there that were more realistic, and didnt portray a realistic world. 

SG1 captures our imagination by saying, its not hundreds of years away... Its right here, right now!  All you have to do is reach out and grab it!

Along with this, its protrayles of how different people sometimes act the same is breath taking.  Like in the last episode, 201, the General said something to the effect of, "Isnt it strange, that with all of the planets that have fallen to the Ori, most of them Jaffa worlds.  That it was a human world that you decided to test your weapon on.  Now, isnt that strange?"

Well that's about it.

deshields538

[134]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    Sci-fi are a bunch of money grabbers. They cancel the show and then try to make sure it can't go to another Network. *&^%&^£ Sci-fi grrrrrr!!!

T1m2

[135]Aug 31, 2006
    but y wud sci fi not allow it to carry on to another network, scifi have cancelled it now, and i thought mgm on the rights to stargate

Spinobreaker

[136]Aug 31, 2006
    yeh i know but noone else would want stargate if it helps another channel to get greater rateing. say fox picked up season 10 at the start of this year, it probably would not of aired pegasus project because it contains scence of atlantis, a show on another network
    im not doing a good job at explaining it but u sort of c my point

Lux22

[137]Sep 1, 2006
    I can not believe this is happening. First FOX and arrested development and now sg-1. HOW? WHY?
    I am from Finland and not sure what can I do to gelp stop this, but I JUST WANT SEASON 11!! (and 12, 13, 14, 15...)

brazilian_girl

[138]Sep 1, 2006
    i'm so sad about it...
    i think i'm gonna cry...

aslanx1

[139]Sep 1, 2006
    This sucks big time... SciFi has a contract that forbids MGM to sell Stargate SG-1 to ANY american network so i hope skyone or an other EU network will pick it up or even Canada.
    The worst thing in my opinion is that we will get the rest of the eps next year in MARCH !!!! that sucks because we wouldn't eaven know how this season ends, if there is any hope for a future sg1 series and so on...
    Secondly eaven if another network would pick it up it CANNOT air eps b4 march 2007 because it cannot show fragments of eps we have not seen ... IT SUCKS AND SciFi ARE IDIOTS, MORANS !!!!!! If they do not reconcider i will no longer watch any of their other crap like Eureka or eaven BSG and Atlantis ... and think that tihs is the only way we can pay them back if they do not reconcider.

aslanx1

[140]Sep 1, 2006
    *reconsider