Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

aslanx1

[141]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 8
    I know this would never be done , but here i go...
    If any of the Mods for tv.com are SG1 fans they should boycott SciFi by removing all their show from the website. I know this is highly unlikely but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope it won't come to that though (
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[142]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    boycotting them and everytihng like that wont change there mind
    spamming them will do nothing
    hell if every fan across the country setup shop on there front lawn and said we arn't moving until u keep that series goin they will still do nothing
    we can abuse them all we want it will change nothing
    all i ahve to say is accept SG1 is gone i have
    its over, they wont
    we cant do anything to bring it back, its jannet, gone... i wish i had the quantum mirror so i could go to another parallel dimention where sg1 either runs forever or is real... one can hope... one can hope...

aslanx1

[143]Sep 2, 2006
    If everybody was like you... not watching their shows means NO RATINGS , NO SPONSORS , NO MONEY they have to realise that canceling SG1 will make viewers hate their network.
    If we send massive nr of email and letters they will see that people still like the show and lower ratings are due to the absence of bsg, show that made non SG1 viewers watch the show only because of BSG.

Spinobreaker

[144]Sep 2, 2006
    yeh but not enough people will do it
    theres what about 1000 that view this forum, 100 less is less that 0.01% of rating
    and even if the word got out noone would sttop watching them enough to change anytihng
    comeon timnk about it a bit
    even if everone who knows about this site, i mean is member of tv.com stopped watching stargate they wouls loose only about 1% of there viewers max
    that will cost them a little but if they keep running sg1 they wont b able 2 charge that much any, not straiight away
    the best thing you can hope for is that this is a bluff to get ratings back in the show by saying its goin by by and pissin off all the fans
    the sci fi exects never listen to the ittle people they onlt think about $ and if SG1 isn't making enough then they will not start it up again

Spinobreaker

[145]Sep 2, 2006
    i mean watched stargate and stopped watching sci fi

aslanx1

[146]Sep 2, 2006
    The show is making plenty of $ but the francise gets most of it, not SciFi they stated that SG1 would be renewed if it would cost less. To produce a show SciFi pays in advance for the episode production (cast, crew and other fees) and they get money only from adverts, so they would make MORE $ if they would pay MGM less... i know they are capitalist pieces of s#$t . Also i am not spreding the boycott ideea only on tv.com , get real, a true fan like myself has various other means of spreading his ideeas. I will send lots of e-mails to various ppl, networks (that might pick the show up) and SciFi and MGM.
    This "little" of mine is not exclusive to tv.com and i can assure you there are way more than 1000 pissed off fans like me that are prepaired to boycott them by not watching any of their stuff. Personaly i never liked the ideea of 2 shows beeing developed in the same studios by the same ppl it means that one would be better and the other worst.
    SciFi does not realise that out there there are way more fans than they think (ppl that dl eps and buy dvd's) and people that miss the so called LIVE show but later watch it one way or another.
    I WILL FIGHT TILL THE END AS A TRUE FAN SHOULD !

aslanx1

[147]Sep 2, 2006
    *"little" ideea of mine*

kerblimey

[148]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 09/02/2006 10:52am

kerblimey

[149]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    Spinobreaker wrote:
    boycotting them and everytihng like that wont change there mind
    spamming them will do nothing
    hell if every fan across the country setup shop on there front lawn and said we arn't moving until u keep that series goin they will still do nothing
    we can abuse them all we want it will change nothing
    all i ahve to say is accept SG1 is gone i have
    its over, they wont
    we cant do anything to bring it back, its jannet, gone... i wish i had the quantum mirror so i could go to another parallel dimention where sg1 either runs forever or is real... one can hope... one can hope...

i have to agree with you here....look at the trouble people went to when Angel was cancelled!!! newspaper adverts, petitions, billboards, letters to execs etc...and nothing came of that

aslanx1

[150]Sep 2, 2006
    This is NOT Angel... Stargate is a franchise it has the money to breack an contract and sign with another US network or even an EU network , if the fan support was big enough so don't think this battle is already lost. hope, do your part and keep your fingers crossed.

jokipper

[151]Sep 3, 2006
    • level: 50

Is it possible for a cancelled show to be uncancelled because of stronger ratings? Yes, that happened to Babylon 5, which was cancelled early in season 4, yet wound up being renewed for a 5th season and then also given the greenlight for several TV movies as well.

We don't know the whole story here. It's easy to hate SciFi Channel for this, but what role does MGM play in the affair? Did MGM demand more money for season 11 which the SciFi Channel refused to pay?  MGM certainly knew the contract bound them to the SciFi Channel for the immediate future, and we also know that MGM has enough money to buy out any contract...so plenty of blame goes to MGM if this is truly the end of SG-1.

I still say that the higher-ups at MGM are solely interested in the upcoming Stargate movies and not SG-1...hundreds of millions of dollars will be at stake on the new theatrical releases and SG-1 has outlasted its usefulness for MGM.

Eagle215

[152]Sep 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    I am still a devoted fan. I admit I cannot always watch, but I do end up watching the new episode eventually. I was watching this show when I was in middle school and I am in college now.

I hope the show at the very least does not end. Maybe some other channel will be smart and take it up. SciFi is so STUPID to let SG1 go. Atlantis is not a popular enough show to continue on its own.

I am disappointed with SciFi and I hope all fans do their part to Stop This!!! I know I will.

Eagle215

[153]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 7

If anyone wants to send a message to the SciFi retards, contact:

Bonnie Hammer, President
    NBC Universal | Sci Fi Channel,
    30 Rockefeller Plaza,
    New York, NY, 10112 Mark Stern, Executive VP Original Programming
    30 Rockefeller Plaza,
    New York, NY, 10112 David Howe, Executive VP and General Manager
    30 Rockefeller Plaza,
    New York, NY, 10112

Also, contact:

Charles Cohen, Executive Vice President
    MGM Television Entertainment,
    10250 Constellation Boulevard,
    Los Angeles, CA, 90067

*Info from http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=650

Also contact feedback@scifi.com

Tell Charles the Cohen to not give up on the show and find another network for SG1. Send all angry or detailed suggestions or disappointmenting messages to the first three.

I have written a message to the three NBC execs and president dumbass (can I type that? who cares at this point).

I have created this detailed message. IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO COPY THE MESSAGE AND MANIPULATE THE WORDING A LITTLE AND ADD OR SUBTRACT STUFF TO IT, FEEL FREE. Otherwise, make your own message and mail it to them. Here it is:

I am writing to express my disappointment, frustration, and sadness at the cancellation of Stargate: SG1. I am a dedicated fan who has enjoyed the Stargate series for at least eight years now. I have seen every episode, and to see it go at a time like this is very depressing.

WHY I WATCH STARGATE

Stargate has an incredible cast and the crew along with the writers, producers, and everyone else has made these last 10 seasons unforgettable. Here is how I would describe the show:

“It is not simply fiction and plot based. This fictional world is based right in our own world. The missions this team takes involve going to other worlds, but they live in a military base in Colorado. The ingenuity of the writers combined with incredible acting skills makes that one hour of Stargate that much better. Action, comedy, adventure, incredible special effects, good acting, and famous small-time/television actors have made the show successful. The plot is by far the greatest part because an episode leaves you thriving for more.” [Phil Leichtle (me), in a letter to cnn.com] I cannot speak for everyone but I can say every aspect of the show is truly amazing. Here are only a few things I have noticed over the years that make the show great:
    Cast Crew Sets and Designers Costume Designers Makeup Artists Music Guest Stars
    Plot Action Storyline Special Effects Comedy & Humor Famous Actors Famous Quotes
    Diversity Scientific Info Sci Info Accuracy Character Development Transcripts Stargate Websites “Atlantis”
    Content Common References Debates Global involvement Aliens Ascended Beings Technology Design
    Conflicts Dialogue Drama “Behind the Scenes” Professional Acting Weapons Themes

I have also compiled a very small list of famous recurring roles & guest stars that YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO BE IN YOUR POPULAR CABLE SERIES. These professional actors have participated in a variety of movies, television series/shows, cable series, and other films. Other famous television actors include (in parentheses are the number of films or episodes the actor has been in provided by "imdb.com"): Beau Bridges (157), Julian Sands (24, 75 films), Ronny Cox (The Outer Limits, The Practice, Murder She Wrote, 117 films), William B. Davis (X-Files, Smallville, The Outer Limits, 84 films), Tony Todd (104), Tony Amendola (CSI, The Practice, 68 films), Louis Gossett Jr. (Iron Eagle, Gideon Oliver, he was an SNL host, The Young Rebels, 147 films), Carmen Argenziano (CSI, Sisters, Melrose Place, LA Law, 160 films), Willie Garson (Sex and the City, Boy Meets World, NYPD Blue, Quantum Leap, 114 films), Don S. Davis (Dead Zone, Madison, The X Files, 126 films), and many more.

I could write dozens of 400 paged books on why Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis are the two best SciFi shows on television.

SUGGESTIONS AND WHY YOU CAN’T CANCEL!!!

I read an article that formally announced SciFi’s decision to cancel SG1’s airing on the SciFi channel, http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=650. I understand why you need to do it so there is no need to explain it.

Millions of people around the world still rely on Stargate SG1 despite its slightly low viewer ratings recently. Many have chosen to download it and many others have bought the CDs of the first 8 or 9 seasons and simply like watching those. Now, some want to see Stargate SG1 end properly, but SG1 is in the middle of the biggest crisis it has ever seen. Whether people still love SG1 or have begun to dread it a little, they all still want to see it end right.

Now Atlantis will only carry the SciFi channel so far. Atlantis also cannot carry on reasonably without the SG1 storyline. Many fans also believe that Battlestar Galactica will fail as well on your channel if you discontinue SG1. Eureka is a good show, which I have begun to watch, but it looks like it could get old very fast!

I suggest SciFi channel airs Stargate episodes (SG1 and Atlantis) on another night, like many other networks. I only watch the SciFi channel on Fridays and Saturdays and, once in a while, on weekdays which contain some awesome episodes of former scifi series. Some of the movies that are played at night are, I must admit, pathetic.

I know personally that I would like the show to air at another time other than Fridays, starting at 9 p.m. Playing Stargate episodes on another night would be an adequate solution to your airing problems, I think. It would gather more viewers at least one of the weekdays, if you played it say Tuesday or Wednesday. I honestly believe Stargate is bringing in the most money for the SciFi channel and this would be a horrible mistake. You cannot risk losing one show, SG1, and then losing the other, Atlantis, just because this season has been a little low in the viewer ratings. Perhaps you should also try to advertise season premieres on NBC affiliated channels also to increase the number of new fans.

THANK YOU

Thank you for reading my letter and please reconsider. I have read the forums and blogs and I can say with absolute certainty that many people love and even need this show. It wasn’t on for almost 10 whole seasons for nothing. Try something different with its scheduling and everything might turn out okay again.

Orlin

[154]Sep 9, 2006
    Why haven't new episodes been posted on iTunes? It took two weeks for Real World and 200 to get posted, and SciFi said on the air that Counterstrike and Common Ground would be available the next day. Well, it's been two weeks and still nothing. G-d only knows when Memento Mori and McKay and Mrs. Miller will be posted.I've done my part, I've paid the forty bucks for a season pass, and so far SciFi hasn't delivered anything. I understand that they're cancelling the series (even though they shouldn't have any right to), but when a fan pays for a DVD, you give them every episode, not just the first six. So post the episodes the day after they air, like you say you will!

d13robot

[155]Sep 13, 2006
    I am happy to say that the savestargatesg1.com site has reached over $7500 in campaign funds! 

lexlou

[156]Sep 13, 2006
    i have a question ofr the powers that be - if stargate is such a big money making event why take it off the air, the more episodes there are, the more DVDS can be release and the more money is made - no show = no fans, no fans to buy product =  no money

scottjoc

[157]Sep 15, 2006
    I have an idea on saving SG-1 but its a long shot, if we got enough americans to buy SG-1 off of itunes (and I mean a lot of them) maybe SciFi will reconsider this whole thing, I would buy myself but i've tried before and failed. I live in the UK and it wouldn't let me.

gforce85

[158]Sep 15, 2006
    • level: 4
    I love the show, but to be honest, I'm surprised the show is still on.

sfviewer

[159]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 27
    stargate sg1 is one of the best shows on tv, it makes no sense for it to be cancelled at this point of time. 2 more years will do it.

Orlin

[160]Sep 16, 2006

lexlou wrote:
    i have a question ofr the powers that be - if stargate is such a big money making event why take it off the air, the more episodes there are, the more DVDS can be release and the more money is made - no show = no fans, no fans to buy product =  no money

This is because MGM owns the rights to SG-1 and MGM gets all of the money made from merchandise, all SciFi gets is the money from on-air advertising. NBC (which owns SciFi) is trying to keep all the money in-house by airing only their shows (i.e. Battlestar Galactica and Eureka).