Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

Eerazor

[161]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 4
    Hi everyone,

I am not going to take the time to read through all 16 pages worth of posts here so please bear with me as I try to make a few points.

Ok, granted it sucks that SG1 is going through its last season. I have to admit I only got into SG1 about a year ago. Having watched the first couple of episodes when it first aired, it did not interest me much. After 9 seasons of DVDs and now the 10 Season running I have to say that it just got better and better. I love the characters and the extended universe that they have built around the original movie. A lot has changed since the shows beginning and it only continued to change as it progressed through time.

With SG1 running and then, Atlantis starting, I have to say that I still prefer SG1. Atlantis is certainly not as strong and their cast, with all respect to their work, just does not work as well as the SG1 cast. I like the idea of having a highly advanced city and all and certainly Atlantis had its strong points but it is just not as good. The characters are too predictable and too annoying.

SG1 had a much stronger cast. It is a shame that RDA has left. He was the primary reason I loved the show. His witty talk and normal input on technical babble from Carter just made it extremly enjoyable. It certainly managed to loosen up the spirit.

Then BSG came along (now my absolute fav show) and it changed the way we look at SciFi. It has become character driven, darker and certainly more adult. SG1 has attempted this from Season 9 onwards and to a certain extent it has managed to do that, but in my opinion it just missed the mark. Atlantis attempted it with the last episode of Season 2, a more darker, mature approach. That worked and I had hoped they would continue that trend.... oh well, there was hope ^^

Now the news has sunk in, SG1 will be no more. Maybe a mini series, maybe movies, who knows. There are plenty of other shows out there and as some people have stated, a shame for Claudia and Ben. Both are great actors but Ben tried to be too much like RDA and that did not work. Then he tried to go towards the Crichton role a little more and sure, it worked a little, but did not do it for me. Season 10 he has changed his approach again, a little more sure, a little quieter. Love it BUT we already have one of those. Claudia on the other hand has turned into the lovable character. Original and fresh it is a shame that her past was not a little darker, a little more complex. It would have been wonderful to explore that much more.

The Ori are here and the System Lords are gone. They serve their purpose but the threat just does not come across. Sure we saw it at the end of 9 and the beginning of 10, but other than that, its just "back to buisness". I guess that is one of the reasons it has gotten a lot lower rates.

For my point to actually come across, I dont blame anyone for the decisions they make. Its a question of break even. SciFi has missed a great buisness opportunity using the digital media technology present today (having done that would greatly increase interest) and normal terrestial TV has just become a spam fest of Adverts just as Emails have. It could have been made better, it could have expanded on opportunities but avast, nothing is happening on that front (and I think I speak for a lot when I say that if they had done so, we would have supported them).

I certainly would. I love scifi, I always will. I grew up on Star Trek, Star Wars, moved to Babylon, DS9, Voyager, Battlestar Galactica (original), BSG 2003, Surface and sooo much more. I love the genre, I love the new direction of it, its a shame that not everyone feels as understanding as I do.

Supporting the show is great. If something can be done, help those that are willing to try, but a decision like this, much like Farscape, might produce something, it might not. Only the future will know...

I just want everyone to know that this writer, appriciates the show, the writers (certainly those), the actors and the directors. 10 Seasons is a lot, and certainly something to be proud of. Dont ruin an achievement with complaints, boycotting threats etc. It will not change their opinion and it will make the fan base look... well tacky.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Orlin

[162]Sep 29, 2006
    • level: 8
    It's just not fair. The money-grabbing greedy NBC execs. don't care about fans, only revenue. MGM owns the rights to both the Gates, they should be allowed to air the show on whatever network they want.

kila177anja12o

[163]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 23
    On the summary page of the the show under News Headlines there is an article "Breaking News: the stargate may reopen." Has anyone been able to read it? Are they having 2nd thoughts on another season?

icanfix

[164]Oct 1, 2006
    im a little behind, is it definate that this is the last season, that means only 2 seasons to defeat the ori, they should have made it concrete that it was atleast 3 seasons to sort out the ori, 2 seems unbelivable stupid, carnt the cast put some of the millions theyve made into a new season

Nikell

[165]Oct 1, 2006

yeahh was cancelled just like farscape.... thx new actorss... hehehe

well somebody knows when comes back the last episodes of the 10 season????

Ghost_loy

[166]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 6
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    this angers me!!!!

zilexa

[167]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 5
    OK so I read big parts of this thread but I didn't read anything about the 10 remaining episodes of THIS season!
    Only few posts back I read this question for the first time!
    So who knows?

teclas2k

[168]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 3

hi everybody, well, this going to be fast:

One year ago i found all the S1 to S8 episodes in pocketPC size. Man, i've never seen as much TV...

For some time, now, i've been able to follow the series pretty well, watching the episodes within one-day after your  air-time.

This week though, things have become a nightmare to manage and something had to go. An hour ago, i was looking for the latest episodes but, to my surprise, nothing available... i got here and, then, i found the Bad News.

Why, on earth, do they stop the shows (ranked 3rd and 4th) at the middle of the seasons (let alone between a double-episode script)??? SGA 3x11 air date set to Feb 2007?

BUT THE $1.000.000 QUESTION IS: HOW DO THE EPISODES GET SCORED BEFORE WE GET TO WATCH THEM ?

I thought this kind of things used to happen only in my country where several shows were bought only a couple of seasons. To my surprise, 24 has been one of the longest (and simply the best), through these last 3 years.

EChanceWoods

[170]Oct 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    it annoys me and it is a shame that this program is comming to an end. ive watched this since i was a kid and have loved it. watched every single episode and think its a superb show!

They must finish it by showing the rest of the season.. id rather it finishes complete than left hanging..

does any one know when the next episodes are being shown, if so when ?

Nikell

[171]Oct 5, 2006

sooo.. nobody knowss??

SGA comes back in March of the next year (Friday March 2, 2007 ), SG1 too??? as usually the shows comes back together?

....well I really dont understand how SGA will continue ignoring whats happen with the ori in our galaxy =P.... 

Angusto

[172]Oct 6, 2006
    They way I heard it, Sci-Fi only cancled the continuation of the show. Meaning that after Season 10 the show would end if MGM didnt continue it. By the way, I am quite upset about this decision but I am also hopeful for Atlantis and you never now what will happen with SG1.

solome

[173]Oct 10, 2006

Hi! This is my first post on this site.  I just needed to write somthing about the show being cancelled.

Stargate was one of the best shows ever on television.  I heard it was being cancelled because their wasn't enough good ideas.  I don't know where that came from.  There are hundreds of things that have not been done yet,on the show.  You know if that's just what they needed was more good episodes,  they should just ask the fans.  You could have the entire eleventh season made just for the fans.  There should be a place fans could send in episodes they've written and all that would need to be done is a few touch-ups.  If they did that they would have more than enough episodes for a season.  I already know of a few episodes that would be great on the tv show.  I don't know if I'm explaining this right.  But there could be an entire season made just by the fans.  It would definatly be great.  I also heard RDA might come back if they were doing another season.  They would get hundreds of entrys for episodes if that were the case.  They should try it.  I don't think it's ever been done for an entire season on a show before.  And there is a rise in veiwer's participatating.  Peole vote on shows like American Idol.  Maybe that paved the way for veiwer partisipation in normal shows as well.  I don't know, I think it would be a good idea and it would keep the show alive for one more season AND make television history.

Orlin

[175]Oct 13, 2006
    I have fantastic news everybody. While I agree that an eleventh season would be preferable, MGM has given the green light to two direct-to-DVD movies.

CSIfan498

[176]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 6

The end of an era. Stargate was one of the best movies, and Stargate SG-1 was probably the best show on SciFi.  I really hope that the show gets picked up by another channel.

vinsfins

[177]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 11
    I'm depressed that the show is leaving, being a fan for many years, but it has been around for 10 years.  As there doesn't seem to be much hope in reviving as a tv series, I would rather that the show end in a bang.  I would rather have the last 10 episodes of the show be amazing, then have the show for 2 more years with sloppy writing and stories.

DOCTOR-WHO

[178]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    sweet_em wrote:
    After what they did with Farscape this isn't a big surprise at all.

Yes, and look at what they did to LEXX (a different caliber of show entirely). I hope they don't do this to the new Doctor Who series. This is a shame.

thinkbui

[179]Oct 24, 2006
    No, SciFi can't do anything to Doctor Who since it is a BBC show.  The most SciFi can do is say whether or not it'll air on the network.  Even if they do decide to pull it, there'll always be a way for US fans to watch the show.

DOCTOR-WHO

[180]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 7
    Good.