Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Official Stargate SG-1 Cancellation Thread - Direct Discussion Here

robvanwijk

[181]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    sparker1976 wrote:
    They need to finish the Ori arc first.

That's the biggest problem with story-driven shows. They often get cancelled before the story is over. See Invasion, Sliders, etc. (and especially Threshold)

They'd better not do that to SG-1.

Once upon a time there was a show called Babylon 5. It had a very remarkable aspect to it; before the first episode was shot (actually, before they tried getting money to actually make a series) it was already known there was 5 years worth of storyline. Then, halfway through the fourth season someone (I don't remember who) decided to pull the plug.
    So, one and a half year of storyline suddenly had to be packed in half a year of episodes. Let's just say the end of season 4 was epic (hmm, is there a Nobel Prize for understatements and where can I claim it? ).
    In the end, B5 actually was renewed for it's fifth season. Yeah, by then there was nothing of the original storyline left, so the fifth season was (in my humble opinion) not as great as it would've been if everything was done according to the grand plan. Ah well, it was still very good anyway.

But, back to SG1; while I suspect that the writers of SG1 intended to take more time than two seasons to kill of the Ori, I also think they'll be able to wrap it up in half a season if they have to. That means no clip shows, no filler eps, instead we'll get half a season's worth of the best SG1 has to offer (especially if they can end it with a movie).
    Now, I completely agree with everyone here that two or three (or more!) 'normal' seasons would be better than a half season that's possibly the best we've ever seen, but it's also a lot better than stopping without giving the writers advance warning, ending the show at a cliff hanger. Contrary to what some posters seem to believe, the rest of season 10 is still going to be aired.

Now, there is one question that comes to mind. What if MGM wants to continue Stargate, but SciFi doesn't? If MGM where to come up with another spin-off series, what would the legal implications be? Could they sell the new series to another channel?

(random comment) Why would it have to take SG1 more than two years to get rid of the Ori? I mean, Sheridan and co (read: the main characters of B5) needed somewhere between one and two years (depending on how you count, and my recollection is not 100%) to solve their problem: two (in SG1 terms) Ancient-like races that where battling each other, on top of that all the other mayor and most of the minor races in the galaxy where at war and, o yeah, Earth and Mars needed to be liberated. Stated in that context, anyone here (this being an SG1 forum and all ) can surely agree SG1 should be able to tell the Ori to "get the hell out of our galaxy" in two seasons flat, right?
    (That's funny if you are a B5-fan that is low on sleep. I hope it works out just as well for the rest of you out there!)

Just my two cents,
    Rob van Wijk
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chris2141

[182]Oct 29, 2006
    This always happens to my favorite shows !! Stargate is absolutely my favorite show. I feel so sad and also amy hoping some other network, with good sense, will pick the show up. Sf must be allergic to quality programming...dumb move.

ktpries07

[183]Nov 3, 2006
    I know I am behind the 8 ball on this topic but I just came across this site and was very surprised that they are cancelling my favorite show. I know it has been on a long time but there is a reason. Good story line and the cast. I don't know about anyone else but it just isn't quite the same without richard dean anderson. Even my wife who only seen a few episodes notices the difference without him being on the show. With that said if they do go through with this, they could at least do there true loyal fans( the ones that sticks with them no matter how good or bad the story is or how boring it maybe) a favor and end the show with everything complete. PLEASE don't do like every other long running TV series and leave the fans hanging. WE NEED AND DESERVE SOME CLOSER. Without the fan base you would'nt have made it this far. Hopefully some other channel will pick them up and continue the legacy.

Rocket_Man141

[184]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 17

Im so happy that the movies are going to finish the series off, finishing it at the end of this season would be pretty bad. Does anyone know what the second movie is based around if the first is finishing the Orii arc?

Telkiar

[185]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 10
    Rocket_Man141 wrote:
    Does anyone know what the second movie is based around if the first is finishing the Orii arc?

Everyone is saying that the second movie will be based on time travel, perhaps, and this is only a rumor, the second movie may even be a lead-in for another spinoff.

Ita3rd

[186]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 8
    If the second movie were to be used as a lead in for another series I wonder how they'd do it.

gamefreaks420

[187]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 2
    I though they wasent going to cancel the show????, why would they do this.What about the stupid ori i wont them to be f up bad

Telkiar

[188]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 10
    gamefreaks420 wrote:
    I though they wasent going to cancel the show????, why would they do this.What about the stupid ori i wont them to be f up bad

SG:1 as we know it has been cancelled, they want to continue the series with two movies, the first of which will be the one where the 'stupid ori' will be 'f up bad'

hapat

[189]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 14
    I just hope the characters will make appearances/star in the second spin-off show or Atlantis.

alison_974

[190]Nov 13, 2006
    hapat wrote:
    I just hope the characters will make appearances/star in the second spin-off show or Atlantis.

We might see Carter on atlantis so she and mckay can fight, but yeah i hope others make appearances.

I have a weird question when the show is cancelled will they still continue being sg-1, i mean from atlantis will they still talk about them as if they are still going through the gate and that, even though we don't see them...LOL... did that even make sense??

stargater32

[191]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    They are going to finish airing the rest of Season 10 aren't they?  When does it start back up?

Snake-Drinker

[192]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 23
    I feel a bit sorry for Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge and Michael Shanks. They've been these characters for so long that they've become typecast and may have trouble getting more rolls.

joeybrandojones

[193]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 13
    All of you are wrong, the show will continue, they only said it was canceled so when it comes back, all of the fans would be surprised. Anyway, its on hiatus

gregtorius

[194]Nov 21, 2006
    I really enjoy this show, and love all the characters.

Let's hope it keeps going, bringing all the suspense, comedy, and action it has provided over the last few years!

__

crazychris19870

[195]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 4
    I just visited the official stargate website... and under seasons on the front page they have season 11 with a ? so perhaps behind the scenes mgm are trying to work something out for an 11th season? Just a thought!

hapat

[196]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 14
    Well it has been speculated that season 11 would be internet only. But I doubt it.

L_d_G

[197]Dec 3, 2006
    ok so i've only just joined TV.com. Registered I mean and I'm out of the loop majorly. IS SG-1 being canceled for good, is it really over. Or are they gonna take it to another network, make a mini series or a few movies...or internet it only ?

It would suck so bad if SG1 ended now, I mean they have the potential to get at least another 4 season with the Ori. It took how long to defeat the goa'uld, roughly 8 seasons ?

They cant defeat the Ori in two seasons!!!!

pc1211967

[198]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    Apparently SCI FI can prevent any US networks airing the show but MGM hold the International rights DVD rights and merchandising rights plus there has also been a lot of cash invested in the game as yet not released Would like to think there is still hope but it does not look good

alison_974

[199]Dec 7, 2006
    I think if SciFi don't want to run it anymore they should let another network do it... otherwise there will be a whole lot of angry gatefans

L_d_G

[200]Dec 10, 2006
    DEATH TO SCI FI!!!!