Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Stargate dialing sequence - Local and remote....

MrBovineOrdure

[1]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 6

Forgive me if this has been asked before. (I searched and gave up on page 9 of the 28 pages the search for "stargate dialing" turned up)

Got the 10 season set a few weeks ago, up to season 4 already and something occured to me.

When you're dialing, you select 7 glyphs. On the local end, you see the ring spin around until the first glyph reaches the first chevron, then it spins again till the second glyph reaches the second chevron, and so on and so forth until the seventh is locked in, the WHOOSH, and your wormhole link to the remote stargate is established.

The thing is. If you are on the remote end looking at the stargate, you see exactly the same thing. Sometimes it's just the cheverons lighting up one by one, sometimes you see the dialing being repeated at the remote end. It would seem more likely that once all 7 chevrons have been dialed, what you should see on the remote end is all 7 lighting up simultaniously and the wormhole immediatly established.

My question is, how does the remote end know the connection is for it when it lights up the first chevron? It seems to me that when that first one lights up at the remote end, they're still dialing on the sending site.

I can only think of a couple of senarios where this would work.

1) All seven chevrons are dialed on the local end first, then some kind of signal goes to the remote stargate which repeats the dialing sequence, then wormhole is established. Problem with this theory is that the dialing sequence takes about a minute and from what we see, after the 7th is dialed up at the local end, the wormhole is immediatly established. It doesn't wait the same amount of time it would take for the remote end to repeat the dialing sequence.

2) When the first chevron is locked in place a signal is sent to all stargate who's address has the first address with that glyph. Problem is we've never seen the behaviour of the remote stargate getting the first chevron then quitting. Plust this seems pretty wastefull in communications

3) After the 7 are dialed locally the amount of time for the wormhole to make it to the remote end would be about the same amount of time it takes a gate to dial 7 numbers remotely. Again. Doesn't seem likely unless there's some time dialation involved here.

Mr BO

Edited on 08/07/2008 8:24am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[2]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 20
    Yes, it should dial all chevrons at the same time, but then again, anyone happening to be standing in front of the gate at that time would have no time to react and get out of the way, so perhaps it's a safety mechanism to prevent that sort of thing?

Finnegan77

[3]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 27
    Off-world dialing changed as the seasons went on. The chevrons only light when the gate is dialed off-world in subsequent seasons, the inner ring spins only from on-world dialing. It does make logical sense that, if the inner ring was spinning on all off-world activations, we'd always know which address was dialing in.

Idbeolderifiwas

[4]Aug 7, 2008
    Also, when dialing from a DHD, the gate does not spin. The Earth gate only spins because it is dialed manually.

Spinobreaker

[5]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    more or less yes, but if uve cn the episode 200 then u could argue that general hammond being a general wanted it 2 spin :p cause it round :p

boredguy5

[6]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 8

Spinobreaker wrote:
    more or less yes, but if uve cn the episode 200 then u could argue that general hammond being a general wanted it 2 spin :p cause it round :p

Such an amazing quote from that episode, I love it when Teal'c TV character says 'Weapons at maximum' and they all respond with 'How would that help?' lol

With regards to the original question I believe that altho it becomes common practce that only the Earth gate spins due to their unique answer to having no DHD that the convention changed as it's TV just like they took away the super chill factor of travelling through the Staragte in the early episodes. They found a system that worked and stuck with it.

Edited on 08/19/2008 4:19pm

lighter52

[7]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    I believe its that, since there are millions of possible addresses, and potentially as many Stargates to go with them, once you get down to about the fourth or fifth glyph, there are few 'gates, or possibly even only one that corresponds to those beginning glyphs, and thats when the off-world chevrons start lighting up. Or the 'gate is psychic, and knows EXACTLY what 'gate you're dialing.

As for why we only see the Earth 'gate spin, it isn't the only one that spins, see episode 16 of season 10. In real life, I remember reading somewhere that they have one 'gate that spins that stays at the SGC, and the rest are just mock-ups with lights.

And it weighs 32 tons, so I imagine it would be hard to take on the road....

MajLorne

[8]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 21

Actually I think it's been stated that the Earth gate spins is due to the lack of the control crystal as found in the DHD's of other worlds.
    The only way to activate a gate without the crystal is to hook it up to another power source and manually spin the gate [namely Teal'c, who's strong enough to] or computers dialing the gate. Teal'c has spun the gate in seasons 1 [The Torment of Tantalus] and 3 [Nemesis].

As far as the Pegasus galaxy ones, I know they light up, but could they be spun manually? I don't recall seeing that ever happen on Atlantis. And I guess it's a good thing they have the Jumpers in most cases.

Edited on 04/24/2009 9:45am

Spinobreaker

[9]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 10
    nah SGA gates dont spin, they are digital, the symbols spin around, like in the first ep rising when they get there rodney does the whole, press button wait for the symbol to spin around "chevron 1 encoded", press button wait for symbol 2 to lock "chevron 2 encoded" a look for weir speeds things up lol

MajLorne

[10]Apr 27, 2009
    Oh ok.
    And lol, CotG [series premiere] aired yesterday. I'm glad about one thing in Continuum: the remote dialer.
    If they still have this plan to make a redo of this 2-parter, I hope they at least include a scene involving the remote dialer so it would make sense about how Apophis was able to dial out from the base.

seto1

[11]May 7, 2009
    • level: 16
    Thats true and it seems that many of the advance races have their own version of the remote dialer.The asgard have a kind of pebble,i believe the Nox have one also,along with the tolan,the Tauri really should get one of their own

MajLorne

[12]May 8, 2009
    The Nox seems like they can just 'will' the gate to activate. Tollan, not sure, but they probably have some tech that can activate the gate as well.

Idbeolderifiwas

[13]May 8, 2009
    The reason the Earth gate spins is like Majlorne said. They are in essence manually dialing the gate, but instead of people turning the inner ring, it's done by motors. Because there's no DHD connected to the gate the only way to dial it is to hook it up to a power source (those red thingies on the Earth gate) and spin the ring to the corresponding symbols.