Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Stargate Universe Has A Go!

pwells01

[1]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 16

Well, here it is!

Gateworld article

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptainHarkness

[2]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 23
    I'd still rather have Atlantis than Universe but one Stargate show is better than no Stargate show. This show does sound pretty good.

minicab

[3]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 3

sounds good i hope they put some of sg1 in it like daniel and vala that would be so funny.

sinar121

[4]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 8

lol dunno which forum to post in...

anywho, younger audience, dunno about dat, but will keep open mind - who knows, could be pleasant surprise

Yo, Wonderbread, you got that address figured out yet?

Idbeolderifiwas

[5]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 20
    sinar121 wrote:

lol dunno which forum to post in...

anywho, younger audience, dunno about dat, but will keep open mind - who knows, could be pleasant surprise

Yo, Wonderbread, you got that address figured out yet?

lol personally if they used all of those actors from 200 in this series I'd be hooked

sinar121

[6]Aug 22, 2008

me too!

so, it's not supposed to be a spin-off from SG-1. does dat mean completely different universe, like no chance of any of the sg1/atlantis people appearing?

Idbeolderifiwas

[7]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 20
    No I think it's still the same Universe but no cross over characters and an all new cast. They'll probably depart from SGC but that will be all that we see of Earth for a while.

sinar121

[8]Aug 22, 2008

hmmm, i guess me don't understand what spin-off is. why wuz Atlantis a spin-off? cuz McKay and Weir were in SG1 before?

so technically, SG Universe could still have old characters somehow in the story? (like if they found a way to get back to SGC in one eppy or some alternate reality stuff)

MelbourneAussie

[9]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 5

After reading the GateWorld article, I'm not getting excited yet - just a wait and see attitude. "Universe will attempt to appeal to a broader audience, drawing new viewers into the Stargate world" - hasn't anyone told them that you can't please everyone so you're stupid for trying.

"The show will be a 'little more character-based, a little less rooted in a sci-fi mythology,' Brad Wright told GateWorld" - that sounds like a soap opera to me. I don't know about other posters here, but one of the reasons I watched Stargate SG1 was because it was a "Sci-fi mythology".

Brad went on to say "It really does come down to characters and stories that are engaging, and that people want to see - that they feel like they haven't seen before." Yes, I agree and it was because the characters and stories were engaging (and the specific actors' portrayals of those characters), that we came to love the show so much. The shippers wanted more but that's always the case. Like a lot of people, I never liked Atlantis as much as SG1 and that was mainly because of the actors.

The article goes on to say "Part of the new focus is a deliberate attempt to bring in younger viewers" and the Press Release mentions: "...while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers" - I don't believe this, they made a joke about that themselves with their 100th and 200th episodes (Wormhole X-Treme). I wonder if they're going to ask Martin to help them write the episodes.

They might bring in younger/new viewers but I've got a horrible feeling they're going to lose a lot of the original viewers of whom many are/were young as they grew up with SG1. (If you read some of the comments after the article, some of these same 'young' viewers are concerned as to where this new show is heading and whether some of the original characters will be included.)

I see Atlantis is ending after the current fifth season (I've only just learnt that as I stopped watching it some time ago). Atlantis will also have some TV movies. The fact that the Atlantis and Stargate Command sets are staying put I suppose gives us some hope they'll still make more SG1 movies but I've got a horrible feeling we won't be seeing any more SG1 movies and that the sets are just being left for the proposed Atlantis movies and the launch of Stargate Universe.

One of the comments (after the GateWorld article) said to give it a chance before you go mindlessly bashing it. I'm not "mindlessly" making these comments and I will definitely watch Universe when it eventually arrives here but at this stage, after reading that article, I'm not expecting too much.

sinar121

[10]Aug 22, 2008

its okie to have certain expectations (hi or low) based on wut they tell us about it, as long as u keep an open mind until the series begin.

me would want Firefly Mal to be in there, unless he's now considered jinx

if it's gonna be star trek voyager - next generation, they can have woolsey back as holodoc

ancientprincess

[11]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 13

Whatever the new spin off is I hope that the actors from SG1 and Atlantis especially Daniel, Mitchell and Sheppard appear in it. But i still think that they shouldn't have cancelled Atlantis because it was one of the best shows on TV. Oh well at leat the Stargate will live on in another spin off. BTW Atlantis was more than just a spin off it was a great show in its own rite.

Libaax

[12]Aug 23, 2008
    I do hope that the characters quality and humor is SG1 like and not SGA ala Teyla,Ronan.....

Characters will saving or killing Universe.

I really dont like the idea thats too similar to Star Trek Voyager and the hole young explorers thing...

Thats not what made Stargate famous. If they dont care about Stargate,discovering new planets adventure thing.

Not even my love for SG1 will make me like this.....

oxheybazza

[13]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 3
    I just hope they aren't just dumbing down the whole Stargate concept to appeal to the kids who are more interested in mindless shoot/kill computer games and haven't yet got to the stage where characters and a plot are more interesting than action for action's sake. There must be lots more mileage in the Atlantis series but I think SG1 had to end because nobody could replace Jack and it got bogged down in the "Arthurian/Ori" stories. However, there were loads of loose ends left in SG1 stories which could be followed - what happened to the Tollans, what are the stories behind the Nox, the Mayan giants of Crystal Skull, etc.? SG1 could perhaps travel back in time to help the Asgard overcome their cloning problems. Ya just gotta love those little guys !!

ayumidah

[14]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 10
    Yippee...

hapat

[15]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 14
    Yeah usually when shows try to reinvent themselves to appeal to a younger audience they suck. So hopefully this doesn't follow the same pattern.

MajLorne

[16]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 21
    Agreed, I don't mind younger, but when you start alienating the main fanbase, that's a reason to start tuning out. But well the main guys have been helming the two series so far and have done well, so I'll hold my opinions about the show and hope for the best. But it still would've been wise to wait and see how this show does before canning Atlantis. I mean what if this fails? Bring back Atlantis and paying the fired actors more money to come back? This is a Vegas bet I wouldn't want to try. [pun intended]

MrBovineOrdure

[17]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 6

Then it'd be called "Wormhole Xtreme"

Mr BO

pinchasb

[18]Aug 28, 2008

lat as give it a Chance the stargate craters did a good jab on SG-1 and Atlantis

so give them a Chance to make it. Voyager and lost in space were not vary good.

stargate has prov-en themselves so give them a Chance.

OwenKealy

[19]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 1

For the love of God and all that is holy, please tell me you're just picking up on English as a second language - or that you're in third grade. Yeesh.

As for this "Universe"...bah! Reading the description of the show in that article made me cringe. And don't give me any of that 'Well, give it a chance' crap. They're cancelling a solid show (Atlantis) so they can launch Dawon's Creek meets Voyager. Lost on a spaceship and unable to return home? Yeah. That's original. Never been done in sci-fi ever before.

Oh..wait. Yeah. It sort of has. A lot.

The stargates that they jump to seems to be a hollow and shallow connection to what made the show unique in the first place. And dropping off on the mythology? Nice way to remove another element that made the show fun and different, asshats.

*shakes head* They're turning Stargate into "Star Trek: Nemesis". A horrible thing that should have never been allowed to happen.

pinchasb

[20]Sep 16, 2008
    OwenKealy wrote:

For the love of God and all that is holy, please tell me you're just picking up on English as a second language - or that you're in third grade. Yeesh.

As for this "Universe"...bah! Reading the description of the show in that article made me cringe. And don't give me any of that 'Well, give it a chance' crap. They're cancelling a solid show (Atlantis) so they can launch Dawon's Creek meets Voyager. Lost on a spaceship and unable to return home? Yeah. That's original. Never been done in sci-fi ever before.

Oh..wait. Yeah. It sort of has. A lot.

The stargates that they jump to seems to be a hollow and shallow connection to what made the show unique in the first place. And dropping off on the mythology? Nice way to remove another element that made the show fun and different, asshats.

*shakes head* They're turning Stargate into "Star Trek: Nemesis". A horrible thing that should have never been allowed to happen.

First I'm Israeli and English is a very hard language. Although the spoken language at home is English and I read in English, writing/spelling is a different story. (Hebrew is a much easier then English end very different)

2 I wrote it before I read the article.
    3 yeas I'm sad they are canceling Atlantis end it is stupid to cancel a show before u have a new show to replace it.
    But I still hope they can pull it off .The article was not encouraging. But as I said before Voyager and lost in space were horrible maybe Stargate can show them how it is done. In any case I'm going to give them a chance since Stargate has prove-en themselves in SG-1 and Atlantis. I'D soggiest u give them a chance to.