Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Stargate Universe Has A Go!

tvfreakazoid

[61]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 8

That's the problem with shows like SG1 and atlantis. There were both similar and eventually it's get old really quick. Same old stories, recycling plots and what not. Same goes for startrek. I'm a huge fan of the series. The generations series did good and as they made spin offs, it was pretty much the same thing but different characters. Although i liked DS9 because i thought it had more actions, but anyways you get my point.

But I hear you they should use the startgate more since it is "stargate universe". Hopefully it will grow on you guys and gals.

MajLorne wrote:

It'll be lucky if it lasts just 5 seasons like Atlantis and SG-1 when Sci-Fi aquired the show.

I admit SG-1 and SGA both lost steam at the end of their seasons recycling plots and some episodes that were terrible fillers, but it was the way Sci-Fi just canned them midway thru the season without warning.

SGU got off on a dreadfully slow pace with storylines on earth no one cares about especially episodes like Life and Earth. The 2nd half has been ok, but Faith was soso, but nothing really happened other than them finding out about an alien race that can create new worlds. So far episodes like Time and Air (1) have been 'true' Stargate episodes.

Everything else in this show so far you can just use a shuttle or a teleporter instead of a gate [and almost half so far didn't even use it]. This show may as well have been its own show minus the Stargate prefix. I mean if it is supposed to be a 'stargate' show at least involve the gate more than using the shuttle most of the time. And I can speak for myself when I say if this show was called 'Destiny' and no Stargate prefix, most Stargate fans would probably be at peace because it doesn't relate much with the other two shows.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[62]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 21

I've stated that I will stick with Universe till the end to see how it plays out, but they'll need more episodes like 'Time' and 'Space' if they want to keep me interested in the show. I am glad that most of the visits back to earth via 'meat suits' ended in the first half of the season - so that's a step forward. And now with the 'kids' left behind, they'll have to use the gates in order to get back to destiny, which is another plus.

I blame the decline on SG-1 and Atlantis on budget cuts because they used a lot of money on some episodes [midseason and season finales which were pretty good on their own right], which meant less budget for the other episodes. If they had the same amount of money for the whole season to make just 10 episodes a year, then those seasons would've been much stronger and without lame episodes.

Edited on 04/29/2010 7:22pm

tvfreakazoid

[63]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 8

That's good that you will stick with the show even though it's not the same as the other ones. This is a true fan. Even though it's not quite the same you will stick with it. Unless it's really horrible and they do a bad job on writing and what not then I can understand. But I do agree with you that they need a little more stargate action going on.

MajLorne wrote:

I've stated that I will stick with Universe till the end to see how it plays out, but they'll need more episodes like 'Time' and 'Space' if they want to keep me interested in the show. I am glad that most of the visits back to earth via 'meat suits' ended in the first half of the season - so that's a step forward. And now with the 'kids' left behind, they'll have to use the gates in order to get back to destiny, which is another plus.

I blame the decline on SG-1 and Atlantis on budget cuts because they used a lot of money on some episodes [midseason and season finales which were pretty good on their own right], which meant less budget for the other episodes. If they had the same amount of money for the whole season to make just 10 episodes a year, then those seasons would've been much stronger and without lame episodes.

MajLorne

[64]Jun 30, 2010
    Having seen the last 3 episodes of Universe, I do have to say the show may have a future. But the way it was stretched out and the botched chances to stop the LA were poorly handled. I mean when they suck out all the air in a room can't they let go at some point? They don't have to kill everyone, but just make them pass out to the point they can be knocked out and taken away as prisoners.

So being how much I hate leaving shows on cliffhangers, I'll be waiting for season 2 to start to see how they resolve this conflict.

ifhtsictoan

[65]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 4

i have to admit i dont like how they have put the show together, it seems too much like a drama and they seem to be dumbing down details that should be fundamentally indepth and true stargate fashion. on the other hand i am having major widthdrawal symtems for a good sci-fi show, so i find myself watching each episode which makes me mad every time, one day i WILL stop watching it.

zzbeach

[66]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 12

The ratings for Stargate Universe have sunk very low.Unless there is a dramatic increase in viewers, it seems apparent that Universe may sink the Stargate franchise. It wasn't the time slot. Warehouse 13, which was just renewed for season 3, had over twice the ratings of Universe on the same night.

Edited on 10/12/2010 6:05am

CaptainHarkness

[67]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 23

But a good three quarters of a Season of Warehouse 13 airs during the summer with no competition. That's something to take into consideration.

zzbeach

[68]Oct 12, 2010

Sorry Captain, don't believe the crap SGU defenders say. Summer time is the worst time for a tv show. The competition for shows is not on tv. It's baseball games, picnics, vacations, camping and just plain great outdoor weather. The fall season is when people start coming indoors and turning on the tube. If summer were such a boon for ratings why do all the networks put on reruns?

CaptainHarkness

[69]Oct 13, 2010

You do have a bit of a point and I can see where you're coming from. But do you think Warehouse 13 would get those same ratings if it premiered late September/early October? The other Stargate shows always used to premiere in the summer maybe they should try it with SGU if it makes a third season.

zzbeach

[70]Dec 17, 2010

Stargate Universe has been cancelled. So ends the Stargate franchise. Although Universe may get a movie on Syfy to wrap things up, SG1 and Atlantis projects will more than likely be shelved forever.

seto1

[71]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 16
    What are you serious so soon what happened to the five seasons.

CaptainHarkness

[72]Dec 18, 2010

Apparently Syfy had other ideas. And it's a darn shame. I'm not gonna get into a rant now though. I could go one forever about Syfy.

seto1

[73]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 16
    Its a real shame what has happened to syfy i barely recognise my old friend who kept me company on days when i was sick with the flu,now it seems to be taken over b wrestling and lame reality shows hmm.I really miss the old days but i guess we cant bring them back rest in peace Universe ,you may signal the end of a once great network.

zzbeach

[74]May 10, 2011

Thank you SGU for destroying the Stargate franchise.

Shredmastahflux

[75]May 21, 2011
    • level: 10

zzbeach wrote:

Thank you SGU for destroying the Stargate franchise.

Technically it was syfy/mgm that ruined it. SGU was getting much better towards the end of season 2 and had they not cancelled, it may have ended up being a huge success. Keep in mind the 1st season of sg-1 was a little dull compared to the rest also. And this is coming from someone who names sg-1 as my personal favorite and greatest sci-fi show ever.

I have to admit though, i would rather they spent the time and money on more sg-1 movies and the atlantis movie they were working on. Unfortunately SGU cancelation means none of that will happen.

So.. i guess you are right haha in a way SGU did ruin the franchise. I still blame 'syfy' though. They can go to hell with their cooking/reality/wrestling/not sci-fi at all shows

MajLorne

[76]May 23, 2011
    Totally agreed about Syfy, that network blows big time. Stupid wrestling shows...

As for SGU, those last few episodes were really good. I mean makes you wonder how a season 3 might've been like. I'm mixed on it though. Season 1 = garbage, season 2 = redeeming, but too late. They really should've had more of s2's pace in s1, and maybe there would've been more viewers. That plus the move from Fridays to Tuesday/Monday and using the dated Nielson counting system.