Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Third movie green-lit + News

  • Avatar of hapat

    hapat

    [21]Jan 5, 2010
    • member since: 12/19/04
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,402
    Yeah I hope to get both, but at this point it looks pretty bleak. Heck even the long talked about sequel to the original movie would be welcomed at this point.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fordae

    fordae

    [22]Jan 7, 2010
    • member since: 08/01/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 5
    What? How could you possibly make a sequel to the original movie??? Am pretty excited for a new SG1 movie, though apparently the SGA movie has been scratched...shame.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hapat

    hapat

    [23]Jan 14, 2010
    • member since: 12/19/04
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,402
    Looks like both are probably scratched and they are just using the dvd market as an excuse.

    They always had a plan to make 2 sequels to the original movie. They'd just ignore the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zzbeach

    zzbeach

    [24]Feb 15, 2010
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 738

    Michael Shanks (Dr Daniel Jackson) has an interview that puts a damper on the third SG1 movie. Read it here:

    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/02/shanks-another-sg-1-movie-may-not-happen/

    Although good ole Joe Mallozzi denies it, I do believe Shanks is right. I don't see any Stargate projects coming soon, especially if the rumors of the Atlantis sets being taken down and sold at fan conventions are true. With SGU's ratings tanking and SyFy's unique way of screwing Stargate fans, it is very possible that season two of SGU will be the last project of the Stargate/MGM production team. The only sliver of any good to come out of this could be 5 years after the demise of Stargate/MGM, Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin may get the itch to make the Stargate movie sequels they wanted to. Hey, it's wishful thinking but who knows?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CaptainHarkness

    CaptainHarkness

    [25]Feb 15, 2010
    • member since: 06/25/08
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 1,946

    Yeah I read that, I hope Shanks is wrong and we can get some continuations of SG-1 and SGA. My fear is that with the SGA cast is moving on they won't be available to do the movie, Momoa being cast as the new Conan and I hear a rumor that Joe Flanigan could be the new Rockford I hope we can hear from Wright and Cooper what is going on.

    I may be the only person who doesn't want to see a sequel to the original movie, Who wants to go back to one L Jack? That's just my opinion.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zzbeach

    zzbeach

    [26]Feb 17, 2010
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 738
    My hope is that someday when MGM is bought out and a bright exec takes over, he'll clean house and get rid of Wright, Cooper and Mallozzi. It's time. Not a rewind but infuse some fresh blood and a larger group of writers. It worked for Star Trek (I'm talking about when Roddenberry died) and look at Doctor Who. Russell T Davies was instrumental in bringing back the show successfully, but everybody agrees that he should leave and he has. What about FOX when they cleaned house in the early 90's. Alien Nation was successful but FOX was losing money and cancelled it. Then FOX cleaned house, Alien Nation was brought back and made 5 tv movies by some risk taking execs. We don't need a rewind or some new show with a "new and fresh direction". We need new people with more ideas. Stargate/MGM has become too incestuous.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [27]Feb 21, 2010
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,455
    You see when it comes to Stargate movies I think they'd be a bigger audience for a film that incorporates the cast of SG-1 and the original 1994 movie. It could be like a parallel universe storyline. I think MGM as well as the producers are missing a trick here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jrsgalaxy

    jrsgalaxy

    [28]Apr 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,676

    Yeah I hope Robert C Cooper leaves. I hate watching him drone on on how awesome he is in making/ producing the episodes on the special features. He's so full of himself.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [29]Apr 15, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,491
    pferreira86 wrote:
    You see when it comes to Stargate movies I think they'd be a bigger audience for a film that incorporates the cast of SG-1 and the original 1994 movie. It could be like a parallel universe storyline. I think MGM as well as the producers are missing a trick here.
    That's a great idea about parallel universes. With that you can have the best of SG-1 in the movie series. I personally prefer the SG-1 cast over the original movie cast.
    But I don't want more go'auld and replicator stuff. If it introduces Atlantis, that would be nice.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [30]Apr 18, 2010
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,455

    MajLorne wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    You see when it comes to Stargate movies I think they'd be a bigger audience for a film that incorporates the cast of SG-1 and the original 1994 movie. It could be like a parallel universe storyline. I think MGM as well as the producers are missing a trick here.
    That's a great idea about parallel universes. With that you can have the best of SG-1 in the movie series. I personally prefer the SG-1 cast over the original movie cast. But I don't want more go'auld and replicator stuff. If it introduces Atlantis, that would be nice.
    But I do think there would be scope for a bigger story if they had both the movie cast and series cast. I think Kurt Russell and Richard Dean Anderson would work well together. By having a parallel universe storyline the movie would also explain why the O'Neils and Jacksons look so different to each other.

    Edited on 04/18/2010 4:29am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seto1

    seto1

    [31]Apr 22, 2010
    • member since: 02/13/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,085
    That sounds like a pretty good idea but isn't Kurt a little out of there pay grade could they afford him.I was really sadden to hear that there would be no new stargate movies i had already saved a spot for extinction and universe is okay but unlike sg1 and atlantis has not wowed me enough to want to get any dvds.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NUMB3RSno1freak

    NUMB3RSno1freak

    [32]Apr 24, 2010
    • member since: 05/12/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 217
    Apparently it's only the uncertainty of MGM Studios that is stoping them from making the Stargate Movies, all the cast, crew and production team are ready to go for it, which is really crappy. :'(
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [33]Apr 25, 2010
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,455

    seto1 wrote:
    That sounds like a pretty good idea but isn't Kurt a little out of there pay grade could they afford him.
    I think if they were making a big budget movie or a semi-sequel to the original 1994 film instead of a TV/DVD movie I think they would have the money but of course there's MGM financial problems to deal with first.

    Edited on 04/25/2010 5:37am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jrsgalaxy

    jrsgalaxy

    [34]May 3, 2010
    • member since: 01/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,676

    THey could still make sequels to the original movies if they stress the tv series was a parallel universe. Becuase if you notice they did make some chanegs from the movie like the O'Neill in the movie has one L and even Jack in the series likes saying "thats O'Neill with two L's stressing the difference.Sha're isspelled Shau'ri in the movie . Tyler, Jacks son is changed to Charlie. THe mountain complex is changed from Colorado to Cheyenne Mountain ( I forget what state ) And so on and so on. Ferretti also has one R in the movie. So thinking these were continuity mistakes was wrong . It was done deliberately. For what reason I don't pretend to know , but it does leave the door open to other possibilities such as making sequels to the movie. In the movie it also states Ra is the last of a dying race and stumbles upon Earth. Then in the series there hundreds of Goa'ulds. Some think the alien shown was the actual form of Ra(well I think its kind of implied in the movie) I tend to think it was a host because if you look closely when they uncover the Stargate they point to something on the ground which looks like a symbiote fossil yet they never expanded on that or mehtioned it in the movie.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Spinobreaker

    Spinobreaker

    [35]May 8, 2010
    • member since: 10/19/04
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,654
    Well, according to gateworld, the movie deals with an issue thats plagues the program since the word go.. and it heavily involves jack oniell...

    My theory is its a "stargate program revealed" type movie
    where they go public about the program (After all the only group out there capable of attempting to fight us are the lucain alliance, and they are like mozzies to an elephant if you know what i mean). After all itd def be an interesting story to play out, and it would be a VERY jack centric story.
    There could be a few things that could happen to lead up to it.
    1) a Lucain alliance ship attacks/lands in a city (i know rule one, dont land ships in cities)
    2) They just decide to go public (yeh right)
    3) Any number of other rnadom ways to get the word out

    And the fall out could be anything from the public going, "meh what ever" and totally ignoring them to "omg were all going to die" + riots etc, then u got the news stories. I guess itd sorta be like continuum meets road not taken

    that said im probably totally wrong, since all we have are those two tiny hints, and since ther probably wont be an SG movie for atl east another few years, who knows what form itll be
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jrsgalaxy

    jrsgalaxy

    [36]May 16, 2010
    • member since: 01/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,676

    Didn't they tear down all the sets and sell the props. Oh wait that was Star Trek

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ouji-San

    Ouji-San

    [37]May 20, 2010
    • member since: 02/18/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 65
    make a real season 11 please..

    the Movies are okay.. They felt more of a Long Episode...thats what happens to something that goes straight to DVD.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MelbourneAussie

    MelbourneAussie

    [38]Jun 28, 2010
    • member since: 09/09/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 127

    CaptainHarkness wrote:


    Yeah I read that, I hope Shanks is wrong and we can get some continuations of SG-1 and SGA. My fear is that with the SGA cast is moving on they won't be available to do the movie, Momoa being cast as the new Conan and I hear a rumor that Joe Flanigan could be the new Rockford I hope we can hear from Wright and Cooper what is going on.


    I may be the only person who doesn't want to see a sequel to the original movie, Who wants to go back to one L Jack? That's just my opinion.



    You are not the "only" person who doesn't want to see a sequel to the original movie because I don't either. IMO the SG1 series was the sequel despite the subtle changes. SG1 was (for me) the best. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't get into SGA as I just kept seeing half the stories as rehashes of SG1 episodes. I've only seen a couple of episodes of SG Universe so didn't get a chance to like/dislike it. I still don't know if it's coming back - must go and check that out. However, the little I did see, it wasn't a patch on SG1 and let's face it, nothing ever will. Ten year's - wow, what a ride!


    Re a third movie - I bought the other 2 sight unseen and will buy a third the same way. If they're reluctant to now make one, they obviously didn't make enough money on the other two because that's all that counts to the studios and all that ever has.

    Edited on 06/28/2010 6:31pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CaptainHarkness

    CaptainHarkness

    [39]Jul 12, 2010
    • member since: 06/25/08
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 1,946

    MelbourneAussie wrote:


    CaptainHarkness wrote:


    Yeah I read that, I hope Shanks is wrong and we can get some continuations of SG-1 and SGA. My fear is that with the SGA cast is moving on they won't be available to do the movie, Momoa being cast as the new Conan and I hear a rumor that Joe Flanigan could be the new Rockford I hope we can hear from Wright and Cooper what is going on.


    I may be the only person who doesn't want to see a sequel to the original movie, Who wants to go back to one L Jack? That's just my opinion.



    You are not the "only" person who doesn't want to see a sequel to the original movie because I don't either. IMO the SG1 series was the sequel despite the subtle changes. SG1 was (for me) the best. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't get into SGA as I just kept seeing half the stories as rehashes of SG1 episodes. I've only seen a couple of episodes of SG Universe so didn't get a chance to like/dislike it. I still don't know if it's coming back - must go and check that out. However, the little I did see, it wasn't a patch on SG1 and let's face it, nothing ever will. Ten year's - wow, what a ride!


    Re a third movie - I bought the other 2 sight unseen and will buy a third the same way. If they're reluctant to now make one, they obviously didn't make enough money on the other two because that's all that counts to the studios and all that ever has.


    I liek all 3 shows. It's hard to say which I like more. SG-1 the original, Atlantis the spin-off or SGU the third show. SGU is different and I like that. It's more character driven and dark. I hope they go a long way. I can't wait for season 2.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.