Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

Wait for the Blu-Rays or buy the DVDs?

Vyce3

[1]Nov 24, 2009
    • level: 14

Will they eventually release the season sets on Blu-Ray? Will the transfer be worth the wait?

Thanks

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 17
    I hope they release it on Blu-ray with many, many extra features!

Ryehead

[3]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    Season 1 on Blu Ray is already on amazon, no release date yet but atleast we know it's on it's way

mglenstevens

[4]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    Will they release on Blu-Ray? Of course they will, everything that has ever been released will eventually be re-released on Blu-Ray to make money.

Will it be worth it? Probably not. When DVD first came out they were putting VHS rips onto DVD and people still bought them, the same will be true for Blu-Ray, expect a lot of DVD rips at first, especially for shows that were filmed in standard definition video.

I buy most of my TV shows on DVD since they are more available and would probably be cheaper if I ever found Blu-Ray seasons of any show. I don't think they could do anything with the 3x4 ratio of my Farscape episodes to show up better on Blu-Ray

magnetiite

[5]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 2

One of the issues I was thinking they might have is seasons 1-3 coming to Blu-ray. I heard they were shot using either 16mm, super 16mm, or otherwise. Didn't specify though. I'm pretty sure regular 16mm film doesn't support 1080p, but I read that super 16mm and above does. They did use 35mm for the SFX shots though.

CaptainHarkness

[6]Jul 20, 2010
    • level: 23

I thought I read something when the Atlantis Fan Choice Blu-Ray came out. MGM or some Stargate producer was asked about seeing SG-1/Atlantis on Blu-Ray and they said it probably wouldn't happen. I read it on gateworld a loooooong time ago. But hey plans change. A third SG-1 movie was greenlit but that seems to be in trouble now so you never know.

pferreira86

[7]Jul 25, 2010
    • level: 17

I think every TV show and film will end up on Blu-ray eventually. The picture quality will depend on when something was made but I do think SG-1 will end up on Blu-ray, it just won't look like it was made today.