Stargate SG-1 Forums

Syfy (ended 2008)

What happened to Daniel's allergies?

pferreira86

[1]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    I just want to ask a quick question. What happened to Daniel's allergies? In the early seasons they make reference to him being allergic to travelling to alien environments but in the later seasons he doesn't sneeze once. Maybe on one of the worlds SG-1 visited the team brought back special medicine to get rid of his allergies?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pwells01

[2]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 16
    Yeah, it just disappeared. I think the character had allergies in the original Stargate movie and so they continued with it, but it was only useful in the first few episodes of the series. I don't think it was ever explained how it went away - maybe some intense treatments or the sarcophagus cured him of it. Anyway, I didn't mind because it would've been annoying to have it shown all the time.

Human_Typhoon

[3]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 5
    The writers probably forgot about his allergies or just chose not to bother with them anymore.

MajLorne

[4]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 21
    Ignoring the allergies thing is no big deal and probably would've been pointless. Like imagine every few minutes they have to stop so he can sneeze in a kleenex or something or give away their position because he sneezed, etc.
    And agreed, perhaps those treatments in the sarcophagus did help cure him.

Finnegan77

[5]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 27
    MajLorne wrote:
    Ignoring the allergies thing is no big deal and probably would've been pointless. Like imagine every few minutes they have to stop so he can sneeze in a kleenex or something or give away their position because he sneezed, etc.
    And agreed, perhaps those treatments in the sarcophagus did help cure him.
    Or Janet finally found the correct combo of medication for him. Lots of ways to explain away the allergies - I think the last time they came into play was in "One False Step."

MajLorne

[6]Feb 28, 2009
    Hem, I really gotta rewatch some of the earlier season episodes, but good points.

pferreira86

[7]Feb 28, 2009
    MajLorne wrote:
    Ignoring the allergies thing is no big deal and probably would've been pointless. Like imagine every few minutes they have to stop so he can sneeze in a kleenex or something or give away their position because he sneezed, etc. And agreed, perhaps those treatments in the sarcophagus did help cure him.
    Now that you mention it he does spend a lot of time in a sarcophagus in the Season 2 episode Need but that episode occurs before One False Step.

Idbeolderifiwas

[8]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 20
    Also when he left in S5 it was partly because the character was never changing. He was upset that Daniel was still a scrawny little archaeologist guy.

MajLorne

[9]Mar 1, 2009
    Yeah S7-10 were much better for him, it's nice to see him able to hold his own in fights now. Obviously not like Teal'c, but at least he won't be the one getting 'beaten up a lot', that's Mitchel's role

CaptainHarkness

[10]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 23
    lol. Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of the allergies. I watched in interview with Shanks once and he said the Daniel of season one was just basically a Spader rip-off and the character started to branch off on his own after that.

seto1

[11]Mar 2, 2009
    Well i always thought they were like mind over matter cures.

pferreira86

[12]Mar 2, 2009
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    Also when he left in S5 it was partly because the character was never changing. He was upset that Daniel was still a scrawny little archaeologist guy.
    What changes did they make exactly? I mean, Daniel in the later seasons seems more of less the same evolved Daniel from Season 3 - 5. It's only in Season 1 - 2 that his character was like James Spader. Michael Shanks said in an interview during Season 3 or 4 that he was attempting to change the character. His character became a bit more forceful and less geeky, he left and then came back. I don't understand how his character could change anymore than before.

Finnegan77

[13]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 27
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    What changes did they make exactly? I mean, Daniel in the later seasons seems more of less the same evolved Daniel from Season 3 - 5. It's only in Season 1 - 2 that his character was like James Spader. Michael Shanks said in an interview during Season 3 or 4 that he was attempting to change the character. His character became a bit more forceful and less geeky, he left and then came back. I don't understand how his character could change anymore than before.
    I don't believe Michael left because the character hadn't changed, but because he had very little to do any more as many eps were now revolving around the whole Sam/Jack thing, and political conspiracies which left Daniel with no people to meet or texts to translate. But that's a whole nother topic and has been talked to death. The other comments have explained the allergies, and some people just outgrow theirs. I only wish mine were that way.

pferreira86

[14]Mar 3, 2009
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    I don't believe Michael left because the character hadn't changed, but because he had very little to do any more as many eps were now revolving around the whole Sam/Jack thing, and political conspiracies which left Daniel with no people to meet or texts to translate. But that's a whole nother topic and has been talked to death. The other comments have explained the allergies, and some people just outgrow theirs. I only wish mine were that way.
    Yeah, I'll probably never be able to eat a Snickers chocolate bar again. I'm allergic to nuts which is a pain. I do remember Shanks saying about the show relying more on conspiracies and less on the mythology of Stargate, which I believe is the change the writers made to bring him back. The Ori storyline being an example. I find it odd he left after Season 5 when he had mythological episodes like The Tomb.
    Edited on 03/03/2009 3:13am

seto1

[15]Mar 6, 2009
    Tomb was not that great an episode it was actually quite a let down.

pferreira86

[16]Mar 9, 2009
    seto1 wrote:
    Tomb was not that great an episode it was actually quite a let down.
    I loved The Tomb. It was one of my favourite episodes of the season. It felt like the writers were trying to return to the atmosphere of the original movie. Nice as well to be reminded of what Stargate was originally about considering the show had moved on quite a bit since the movie.

MelbourneAussie

[17]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 5

"What happened to 'Daniel's allergies?"

Antihistamines I believe is what happened. I'm not sure which episode as I've not watched the show for quite some time (despite owning all the Seasons & both movies' DVDs) ; but wasn't there a situation where other team members were affected by something but Daniel & Teal'c weren't. I think it was because Daniel was on antihistamines and Teal'c's symbiote protected him. It could have been The Broca Divide from Season 1, but don't quote me as it's been quite some time since I watched it. If some one has time to rewatch it, could they please confirm my guess. Thank you.

pferreira86

[18]Mar 11, 2009
    MelbourneAussie wrote:

Antihistamines I believe is what happened. I'm not sure which episode as I've not watched the show for quite some time (despite owning all the Seasons & both movies' DVDs) ; but wasn't there a situation where other team members were affected by something but Daniel & Teal'c weren't. I think it was because Daniel was on antihistamines and Teal'c's symbiote protected him. It could have been The Broca Divide from Season 1, but don't quote me as it's been quite some time since I watched it. If some one has time to rewatch it, could they please confirm my guess. Thank you.

I think you're right but he's still has allergies after that.

zampognaro

[19]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 9
    pferreira86 wrote:
    MelbourneAussie wrote:

Yep it was in the Broca Divide ... but that was early in season 1. He sneezes in episodes after that in season 1 and 2

jrsgalaxy

[20]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 14
    zampognaro wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    MelbourneAussie wrote:

Yep it was in the Broca Divide ... but that was early in season 1. He sneezes in episodes after that in season 1 and 2
    I dont have allergies and I sneeze from time to time. And Im glad they minimized the allergies like someone mentioned earlier about it giving away their position . I mean I dont think we couldve gone ten seasons of this scenario :
    "The team is hiding in some bushes to let the enemy move on so they can escape "
    Daniel " Achoo!!"
    Enemy Soldiers: " Lower Your Weapons"
    O'Neill:" Dammit Daniel"
    That would probably get old quick.