Stargate SG-1

Fragile Balance

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 20, 2003 on Syfy

• A great Season 7 episode. These are the kinds of stories that keep the comic relief always going in Stargate SG-1.

When I saw the teaser for Fragile Balance, I was just watching it in awe. I wondered how this could possibly not be the funny episode that they do every year (the actual funny episode for Season 7 was Avenger 2.0). As I watched the episode, I began to realize that even though it starts off with a light humor that makes us laugh and just be amused by the Jack O'Neill character, the whole episode becomes darker and darker as it moves on. The light humor at the beginning amazingly turns into a sort of dark and intense episode later. Of course, like most Stargate, it regresses back to the light humor of the beginning of the episode at the very end.

The thing that stands out the most of everything for this episode is of course not only the Young O’Neill character, but also the actor playing him. Michael Welch did an incredible job as Young O’Neill. The reality of it is an actor who was 15 years old at the time of this being filmed, managed to mimic the idiosyncrasies of Richard Dean Anderson. If I didn’t know better, I would think that Richard Dean Anderson WAS Michael Welch playing O’Neill only in a younger body. I know I may be overstating it a bit, but really. To actually correctly mimic Richard Dean Anderson like that requires such talent and at a young age too I would think that it was almost impossible.

Now that I’ve finished basking over the actor, let’s move on to the plot. Of course, as I find with all episodes of any TV series, there were a few things that bothered me about this plot. Let me begin with the obvious one. How would Loki possibly know that one week after he had put the clone on Earth, that they would happen to be in the same bed as the time that they were taken from Earth. That is the least of the plot holes in the story. When Young Jack is taken from Jack’s house and Original Jack is put back, Original Jack doesn’t have any memory of what Young Jack did over the week. Now this would make sense. But the thing that doesn’t is that if Loki or some other Asgard abducted all of these people over the time, wouldn’t any other people around them find it odd that they’ve forgotten everything that happened to them in the week that they were abducted for. For instance, if the clone had some kind of operation within that week, that Loki wasn’t aware of, when the original was put back, the original wouldn’t have had the operation even if the clone had. I think SOME people at least would have found this the least bit odd.

All right, now away from all of the plot holes etc, lets move on to the actual evaluation of the story. I know that this episode revolved around Jack, but it seemed that the other members of the SG-1 team barely had ANY significance. If perhaps there had been a little bit more going on than just Jack being a clone and such and some of the other characters were used a bit more, then I would have considered a higher mark. Overall, I give this episode a 7.2 because even though it wasn’t a horrible episode, I’ve seen much better.