Stargate SG-1

Fragile Balance

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 20, 2003 on Syfy

• Brilliant

This is one of "SG-1"'s all-time greats. Personally, it's my second favourite episode, second only to the brilliant "Window of Opportunity". This episode was supposed to made back in Season Four and I'm glad it wasn't because I doubt it could have been as good as this. The main reason, I think, that this episode is so good is Michael Welch. The whole episode depended on whether or not he could pull off a convincing imitation of Richard Dean Anderson. He not only does a good imitation but he practically makes the role his own, at least as much as he could. When you watch him, you are totally convinced that he is the "same" Jack O'Neill who had been with "SG-1" since the very beginning. Although RDA only appears in the last few minutes of this episode, it's hardly noticeable because of Welch's performance. He's a great actor and was brilliant in "Star Trek: Insurrection", "Joan of Arcadia" and "Frasier." I was pissed that he wasn't in Season Eight and I *will* be if he's not in Season Nine. He was one of the show's best guest stars and best characters for a long time. One of very few bad things about this episode is that Amanda Tapping got too much to do while Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge got too little.