Stargate SG-1

Learning Curve

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 23, 1999 on Syfy

• Jack makes a new friend, then loses her, but in doing so changes a civilization...

This was an emotional episode. I'm a guy and normally don't speak about being moved, but I truly thought that this episode was a little moving. And what truly made this episode moving was how in the end the girl didn't "live", her mind was wiped, but in doing so she gave her people what they needed to return to learning the normal way. I really like when Jack gets real determined and feels strongly about something, and this episode showed the more passionate side of Jack where he'll disobey orders on principle. It really made the episode feel real to me.
  • Learning to be a kid..

I loved this episode. First it was very important episode for O'Neill but more than that, I was amazed by the storyline - ok, it was not action of motion storyline or anything like that - it was very emotional and somehow different thing what you do not see on this serie often, maybe that's why I even enjoyed it more.

The way those people understand things so different, the way it was shown and how hard it was to humans to understand and respect their way of things and what came out - sometimes there can be happy endings and those are even more enjoyable.

So beautiful episode.
  • Good O'Neill development

This is what I refer to as a "purpose episode". It introduced one of the most important pieces of technology in the Naqahdah generator. It will come into play heavily in the later seasons and especially in Atlantis. The plot was a little weak and it was a little boring. There was some decent humor in here mostly from Jack. I guess there was another point to the episode that not all planets do not do things as we would like and that we have to try to accept it. Overall an important episode that is not one of my favorites.
  • What a great episode...

This was a very good episode, mainly becuase we got to see the 'nicer' side to Jack O'Neill. At the start of the episode i thought it would be very simple but the story grew more intresting and planned as the episode went on. I liked the idea about a society not teaching their children, or rather leaving them to get by on their own. Considering that this is a 'filler' episode i really liked the story. The writing was well written and the charactor proformaces were good. The only thing that i wonder about is why have we never seen this race again? Considering the are so advanced? and why has Tel'c lately being left out of the major stories?
  • An important episode for O'Neill's character and a fascinating science fiction story.

First off I must say my memories of this episode were not too fond before I watched it again recently, but after watching it I have come to appreciate it so much more.

The story is a very interesting piece of science fiction: children with nanite in their brains that have them basically harvested at the age of 12. Obviously we would see this treatment of children as inhumane, none more so than O'Neill. Indeed, the side effects of the treatment and the attitude of the citizens towards it as a great honour (especially how the children look at it) are quite strange and scary.

I usually judge the performance of child actors on how much they irritate me. I can happily say that none of the child actors annoyed me in the slightest, which is quite impressive. I also must praise the performance of Andrew Airlie as Kalan. His performance is very convincing and only makes the whole concept that a culture could have this attitude all the more realistic, adding to the quality of the episode.

But in my opinion the core of this episode is the impact this alien culture and their customs has on O'Neill. This situation and clash of ideals shows an important side to O'Neill's character. It shows his strength in his beliefs, and is in my opinion made all the more realistic how they never once make a reference to O'Neill's son. The dialogue between O'Neill and Hammond after he returns Merrin does seem a little forced and sentimental, but it's effective nonetheless. On top of that, the very last scene between O'Neill and Merrin is a truly great bittersweet moment in the best Stargate tradition.

All in all, this is an above-average episode. It may milk the sentimentality a bit, but it's an important piece for O'Neill's character and a great piece of science fiction.
  • A touching episode where Jack struggles to respect the beliefes of another civilisation.

The team travel to Orban, a highly evolved society which is interested in trading technology and intel with Earth. They can't believe their luck; as you know, in the past, most evolved societies have been reluctant to share their knowledge and technology, feeling that any race not evolved enough to develop it on their own is not evolved enough to use it wisely.

As the episode develops, we learn that the Orbanians have achieved their rapid evolution through nanotechnology. They implant children with thousands of nanites at birth, who then go on to develop phenomenal abilities to learn. As teenagers, the nanites are removed, and with them, the children's artificial intelligence, rendering them savants.

Although this technology has allowed to Orbanians to become highly developed in a short period of time, the SGC is aghast as what they see to be the abuse of children. Jack especially takes it badly, especially when he bonds with a little girl who has a knowledge of astrophysics that makes Sam look like, well, a savant. He time is nearly up before her nanites are removed, and Jack battles to convince her that she should be having a childhood instead of making such a sacrifice. Even after she listens to his arguments, she decides that the development of her civilisation is more important, and undergoes the procedure.

Jack finds a way for the de-intellectified children to relearn everything in what I thought to be quite a touching scene. This episode combined everything I love about Stargate; travelling to other worlds, negotiating with other planets and learning their ways (and learning to respect them!) as well as a heavy dose of Daniel digging up stuff and humanism. 8.5.