Stargate SG-1

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 16, 1999 on Syfy

• Daniel loses it, goes nuts, three fries short of a happy meal, wacko!!!

This episode's pace was a little slow I think and the theme was a little depressing. Really only the first third or so was slow and then it kinda picked up the pace. I must say that seeing Daniel go nuts was a little painful, but in a good way. He did such a good job of acting crazy it was very easy to sympathize. It was also nice how they tied in the storyline from Holiday("Inventions to fight the Goa'uld!"). It was very depressing to see the team kinda torn up over Daniel's condition, I thought Carter's response was especially realistic. The initial pace of the episode and the depressing overtones through the middle third were what brought the episode down for me.
  • Killing Goa'ulds, trying everyone else insane...

It was.. quite interesting. I most say, this episode really show some good acting even thought they usually do not have so much changes for that but some border situations like Daniel's insanity, really gave that change.

The storyline itself was not very interesting and to be honest, on some point first little disturbing but the end saved a lot - those little bugs and the way thanks Carter they managed to save the day.

But still, the story was somehow hollow as it even not seem enough to say about this episode - it was good character development for Daniel and little action but not too amazing
  • Crazy Daniel is a place the show hasn't really gone before...

An invention of Ma’chello (a highly intelligent alien whose technology effectively fights the Go’uld--also seen in “Holiday”) accidentally causes Daniel to become mentally imbalanced. Daniel's deterioration and paranoia seem well-paced. At first there are only noises, followed by nightmares and occasional hallucinations. Eventually the images and sounds seem so real that Daniel is placed in a padded room at a psychiatric facility so as to prevent him from harming others. Michael Shanks does a very good job depicting a person who can barely distinguish reality from his own imagination (not to mention he looks pretty good). Although the idea of Ma’chello’s technology having unforeseen side-effects was seen in “Holiday” with the accidental body-switching of Jack and Teal’c, a technology that actually uses the humans as a carrier for the weapon is a unique thought. I do have a few issues with the episode. The attendants at the mental hospital look more like bouncers for a hot new club or models for a big - and - tall store than they do people meant to just help the mentally ill. Also, when Fraiser and O’Neill are infected their reaction to the weapon isn’t as creative as it could have been. Fraiser has some good, paranoid reactions/hallucination, but mostly just acts like she’s having a problem remembering how to talk. On top of that, O’Neill just lays there and rolls around a little after a brief “Sam’s a Go’uld” glimpse. Shouldn’t he be seeing or hearing a few more things, too? Maybe fighting back a little? If someone were really having paranoid hallucinations, why didn’t O’Neill at least argue a little and accuse Sam of trying to kill him with whatever was in the needle? At any rate, I really enjoyed the episode. It was about time that the protein marker in Sam paid off. Plenty of references to past episodes, and a story that finally allowed Michael Shanks to do a little more than argue with Jack or translate an alien language.
  • Decent

This sequel to Holiday was very interesting and gave Michael a chance to flex his acting muscles. The episode starts out with the discovery of the dead bodies of a rouge faction of Goa’uld that appose the system lords. It begins to get creepy when Daniel starts to see the dead bodies of Goa’uld. I did not like that they blamed his condition on the gate and because of it shut down the program. The scene in the mental hospital was sad and I think Shanks did a very good job. When Jack and Janet got infected the line that Jack says is a classic O'Neill line and one of his best. Overall an OK episode with some good performances.
  • Just that: not my favourite storyline.

This episode is basically a performance piece for Michael Shanks, and it won't be the last. While Shanks gives a fairly strong performance, it is a little over-the-top sometimes, and the story isn't particularly strong.

It starts off quite well: a room of long-dead Goa'uld, and soon after Daniel starts going crazy. Some of the hallucination sequences are rather impressive, in particular having an event horizon appear in the closet, and seeing a Goa'uld crawl up O'Neill's arm and burrow into his neck. The discussions about Daniel's disorder and the potential danger of Stargate travel on health add another interesting layer to this episode. However, personally it seems that Daniel is put into a mental institution very quickly, like they sort of rushed into it so they could continue the story and get onto the next bit. Ironically it also seems that the team accepting Daniel is back to normal takes even less time! But this is just my opinion. The plot thickens a bit when we find out that the cause of all this was a Ma’chello landmine. This idea also makes the episode more interesting, as does the plan and execution to counteract them. Actually, I must compliment Teryl Rothery on her performance whilst infected with Mac hello’s landmines.

So, in summary whilst the episode is rather well made and performed, it's just not a story that I like that much.
  • Shortly after discovering the dead bodies of nine renegade Goa'ould Daniel begins to experience auditory and sensory hallucinations that could spell the end of travel through the gate for everyone, or a lifelong stint in a psych ward for him.

This ep is without a doubt one of my favorites. ANything that has to do with exploration of the psychological ramifications of anything just appeals to me. It doesn't hurt that watching Daniel go insane bring out my need to nurture... can't help it...

What I didn't like.... was how quickly Dr. Frasier and Dr. Mackenzie moved to institutionalization as a 'treatment'. Now I understand Frasier had to divulge the headache thing and confidentiality really doesn't hold in the military, especially with a variable like the Stargate and off world travel involved. So, that said... their eagerness to attempt to limit trips through the gate, shut it down completely, and relegate Daniel (who by the way I think the writers forgot was adopted) to a padded room was a bit hasty considering all they'd gone through already. I mean hello... he's already died once! did you not watch the movie? and if I'm not mistaken has also overcome a forced addiction to the sarcophagus... I might be wrong in the timing on that but I don't think so.

Loved the hallucinatory sequences and how well Michael Shanks played them out, as well as the paranoia in the padded room, but tell me why is it that whenever someone trys to stick up for themselves even in a padded room, they're considered to be 'acting out of control'? In context I think it's pretty darn reasonable to want to think clearly and elbow the wall out of frustration... Mackenzie, get over yourself.

Thankfully my dear Daniel is able to convince Dr. Mackenzie to contact Jack and ask a few simple questions which eventually enables him to return to the Mountain and help his friends as they become acquainted with some more of the dangers of the devices Ma'chello devised for use against the Goa'ould.

Overall an ep I've watched many times and rarely am not in the mood to see, kinda like Crystal Skull... I'll get to that one later.