Stargate SG-1

Lost City (2)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 19, 2004 on Syfy

• Final battle for Earth.

When things cannot get bigger, they do. This episode was massive, I most say. Really, really impressive. One of the best. It had everything - the mystery of the ancients, the threats, treachery, lot of action and stunning, impressive visual effects. The Antartic scenes - the whole things with thrones and Ancients outposts.. it was just amazing. Also the emotions involved - Teal'c trying to say what he think but there was no reason. Ofcourse Sam.. and O'Neill saving Bra'tac when it looked so hopeless.

I just say - I loved the episode. The way it was massive, the story, effects, the sad ending. It was perfect.
  • Helluva episode!

Visually the best episode so far. The very first time we get to see Earth's x302 fleet with Hammond aboard the Prometheus pushing their offensive defense towards Anubis. Season 7 was filled with fill up episodes, more or less entertaining, but this one redeems everything. This is where i clearly noticed the difference of stargate past and stargate future. First time i watched SG1 was on tv getting an episode per week, but watching it now episode after another day by day, the evolution is absolutely incredible. I'd like to see more and more of such episodes, more rush and adrenaline, more space action and ancient weapons, after all this time humans finally need to get something for their efforts, and clearly this is where it starts.
  • Excellent

History repeats itself as Jack O’Neill has the entire knowledge of the Ancients downloaded into his head just as Anubis begins his major attack of Earth. SG-1 must rush against time to stop Anubis before the knowledge kills Jack.

The true joy of these two episodes lies in seeing all our heroes (Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal’c and George) gathered together at Jack’s house sharing a drink and trying to avoid talking about the tragedy that awaits Jack. From a drunken Daniel trying to get Teal’c to explain how deep he is to Jack’s Burns as Goa’uld analogy this one scene was the most heart-warming and perfect Stargate moment I have seen reminding me why I fell in love with this show in the first place. Then the bombshell dropped, Hammond had been relieved of command and the all Stargate activity suspended for the time being. Dr Elizabeth Weir has been appointed by the President as the new head of the SGC in an attempt to put a more media friendly face on the program should it ever go public.

If there were not a spin-off being produced, which would feature Weir as a central character and Don S. Davis departure from the series, I would wonder what was the point of Weir character in this story. She did nothing and I mean absolutely nothing at all for the whole hour and a half. She should up, talked to the president and then to Daniel for a few minutes and then did nothing at all but sit around while everyone else did all of the talking. Sure there was a lot going on but surly the writers could have given her at least one scene to shine, one where she doesn’t talk about being overwhelmed by everything. Since Jessica Steen will be replace for Atlantis maybe the producers decided to cut down her involvement to make it easier to accept a new actress in the part but so far I’m not impressed or interested at all.

While Part 1 may have been all talk and set up to save money for Part 2 I still was not board for a single second. After weeks of cameo appearances Jack O’Neill finally took centre stage bringing many of his trademark clueless expressions and sarcastic remarks (“Mr VICE-President”) yet also showing us a man who has to accept that he might be dead in a few days time. These episode tried to remind us who Jack O’Neill is and why he means so much to everyone he works with. I was surprised that Jack’s ex-wife was brought up even if it was a blink-and-miss-it moment but his sudden refusal to talk about it showed that even all these years later some old wounds still hurt. His feelings for Sam were also addressed but thankfully there was none of that “oh I love you” “I love you too” rubbish that some people might have being hoping for, instead they simply understood how they both felt about each other. In fact the way Sam said Jack name at the end spoke more about their relationship then a million soppy speeches could ever do. As good as the Jack/Sam scenes were the scene with him and Teal’c was better. Teal’c, a man of little words, tries to tell Jack how much he means to him. All Jack does is place his hand on the side of Teal’c face and the two men stare at each other and without a single word uttered they understand each other perfectly.

In the background of all of this Kinsey is still trying to push his own agenda and take direct control of the Stargate program. Kinsey is one of the series more repulsive characters always trying to weasel his way into a position of power or control without any regard for others. Now he is Vice President and just waiting for his chance to get the bigger office. But before he can take his seat in the oval office he still has enemies he wants rid of, namely Jack O’Neill. Unfortunately that was Kinsey’s biggest mistake. Kinsey’s reason for having O’Neill removed from the Stargate program are purely personal, the two of them hate each other and Kinsey allowed his hated of Jack to come first. Instead of just lying low and biding his time he tried to get rid of the SG-1 as soon as possible thus exposing his schemes to President Hayes who not going to fall for anymore of Kinsey’s crap. By allowing his hated to control him Kinsey quickly lost whatever power he had managed to obtain and is forced to resign or face, as Hayes warned, be shot.

While Kinsey may be a snivelling pathetic waste of a man who will run at the first sigh of total annihilation Anubis is a more traditional villain and as a result he is caricature of what a villain should be. Anubis is nothing more than carbon copy of Sokar with the same origin story and even the same actor playing the part. Both are a Goa’uld who was banished for being really bad even by Goa’uld standards. In that time they gathered a massive army and return to take over the galaxy. The only difference between them is that Anubis is part ascended ancient with knowledge of their advanced technology which gives him a major advantage over the other Goa’uld. Apart from that there is nothing that standouts about either character with both of them just serving to simply make the heroes jobs even more difficult. Stargate has always had a problem creating good villains for the heroes for fight and while Anubis represent military might to overcome as a character there is nothing truly evil about him. He didn’t even destroy a single city what kind of evil overlord is he anyway.

If there was not going to be a another season after this one this would have served as a great series finale much better than Season Six’s “Full Circle”. While I still rank that episode as the best episode of that season it did not have the epic scale or sense of closure that a true series finale requires. These two episodes had both and a lot more. The battle at Antarctica was massive and perfectly realised confirming that Stargate has the best special effects of any small screen series. The effect of the Ancient weapon destroying Anubis’ fleet was far better than some laser of lighting style weapon we’ve seen before but it did still remind me of the sentinel swarms from the third Matrix film but that film was nowhere near as good as this so I’ll let them off. We had some closure with the threat of Anubis being dealt with and Kinsey finally getting his comeuppance, only the fate of the central characters and the location of the lost city of the title remained unresolved. The fate of Jack would not have been so open-ended had this been the finale episode, although I fear a last minute rescue by Thor would have been hard to swallow so I can imagine that Jack might have died if the show was not to return for another season. As much as this would have saddened me to see him die I would have been able to accept this, as it would have felt like the natural conclusion to the story; Jack giving his life to save the world, how more heroic can you get than the noble sacrifice for the greater good. I can imagine many fans would have been up in arms about this conclusion and they have the right to their opinion but for my money that’s how I think and feel it would have ended.

The fate of the lost city could have been left over by the writers and picked up later when Atlantis started. The resolution of this storyline was nowhere near as important as the character arcs of the central four so I was quite happy for it to remain unsolved as long as we got the emotional ending we needed. Some might find it anti-climatic that the lost city is not discovered at all but that is not what this story is about. It’s about Jack and his quest to stop Anubis and save Earth, with search for Atlantis used as the means to get the hero and villain into finale conflict. This episode was about the climax of that conflict as Anubis is finally defeated and SG-1 save the world…again. The lost city doesn’t have to be found as long as we know that Anubis now defiantly won’t be the one to find it.
  • One of my favorite episodes so far!

One of my favorite episodes so far! This review will be for part 1 and 2 of Lost City and it doesn't pay to write two so I'll just write this one. Finally, Anubis is defeated, or so it seams. And the battle over Antarctica was awesome. Who would of though that it would have been O'Neill to use the high tech weapon. I know he had the Ancient knowledge downloaded into his head but it is still hard to believe. I guess they didn't find the lost city of Atlantis yet but the will. I give both episodes a ten.
  • One of the best...

This is one of the best episodes of the entire series. I'll just do this review for part one and two. I like that whole moement when sg1 and Hammond are all sitting in O'Neills place drinking beer. It does suck that hammond got replaced and by someone who isn't even in the military. The first part was good but the seond part was even better. With all that ancient stuff in O'neills head again he starts doing some pretty weird things. but he leads them to a planet where they get a power source and go back to earth. It was really cool how General Hammond was commanding the Prometheus. This episode had everything a great story and an even better ending. later...
  • One of the best episodes of the entire series.

This is one of the best episodes that I have seen from the series. The episode was filled with the typical humor that we have come to expect from Jack O'Neill and crew.

When the attack on earth occurred, they put on an attack that was as impressive as any epic sci-fi battle we have seen in recent years.

What puts SG-1 a cut above the rest of the sci-fi shows is that this does not happen in a galaxy far far away, but happens right here on earth in the present day. And lets cut right to the chase: The Prometheus simply rocks.
  • Can I give it more than a 10??

There are no words to describe how awesome this episode is. I got goosebumps when the F-302s came swooping in and the Prometheus hovered over the scout ship like a mother hen protecting her chicks. Not to mention seeing the drones tear through Anubis' fleet like a 7-year-old with presents on Christmas morning.

I daresay this is the best finale out of all 10 seasons. It has it all: action, adventure, drama, wicked special effects, and General Hammond commanding the Prometheus. And then there's the ongoing romance between Jack and Sam that seems to reach a peak in the last few episodes of this season, which balances perfectly with all the fighting going on.

I remember reading a book in high school that theorized that the lost city of Atlantis was actually part of Antarctica. They gave some pretty compelling evidence too. I guess I wasn't the only one to read about it because the southern end of our planet makes an excellent backdrop for a showdown between good and evil. The south poles is one of the least explored places on Earth so who know what we might actually find down there?

I think this episode gives a message of hope. No matter how badly it looks like you're going to get your ass kicked, stay true to your friends and find an Ancient outpost somewhere and you'll pull through.
  • Well, 5/5 stars on this one, cant get better right ? =)

Like i wrote on the Lost City Part 1 review, this one really will be a kickass episode no doubt about it, really love these big confrontations with massive over the top adversaries vs SG-1, just that they dont get enough credit for saving world again...again...again...and guess what ? AGAIN!

Also a nice episode since we get to see much of the fav stars of the show on same episode, even tho Hammond Of Texas will retire from the show :'(, so last call from Prometheus cant be anything but really kickass!

I doubt anything like this will ever come across us again, but hey u never know =)
  • Best... Finale... Ever!

I love season finales. Everything is wonderful, caution thrown to the wind, and we end up with some of the best shows ever. This season finale does not dissapoint. It has everything from humor, drama, and adventure. The storyline is just amazing. This episode has the best battles in the series: the battle in Antartica and the Prometheus battleling in space against Anubis' fleet. This episode also serves as a great foundation for the start of Stargate Atlantis. It is a shame that after many great episodes like this one, Sci-Fi is going to cancel the series. All they should do is re-watch this episode and they will see how wrong they are.
  • And what a finale it was!

This episode had it all! Action, humour, Bra'tac kicking ***...

Well, suffice to say it was just about perfect.
    In a way it was also very sad, O'Neill is obviously going to be out of commission for a while, and it looks like Hammond will finally have to retire.
    I'm afraid this will change the character dynamics that I'm so fond of, but with three of the four members of SG-1 still there, it might yet work.

This episode was about O'Neill's sacrifice, and as such he had the focus of the show. I got the distinct feeling he risked his life not to save the world, but for his friends. The tension between him and Carter was practically palpable, especially when she was at his house, before the rest of SG-1 appeared.

The action was spectacular, the dialogue engaging, and Kinsey got a small taste of what he deserved. hopefully he'll be getting more before too long :-)
  • One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!

One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!One Of The Greatest Episodes Ever! In The Greatest Show Ever!
  • Very good episode with lots of humor but still a little serious.

I enjoyed this episode because it was funny in the beginning, but getting more serious and very attention catching. My favorite line in this episode was when Daniel and Carter are looking at the crossword puzzle that O'Neill filled out and Carter says "For celestial body he wrote Uma Thurman", and O'Neill is like " Yes". Great lines, great plot, and basically everything else is great too. This is an ideal episode of SG-1 but I'm still glad there aren't more like this because that would take away from it's over all splendor. I love this show, and I love this episode, I never saw part one but part two was really good. Everyone should watch this episode.
  • Definitely a top-3 worthy episode.

Richard Dean Anderson is absolutely amazing in this episode. This could have been a very serious episode, seeing as it might have been the last one, but Richard Dean Anderson makes the episode funny. Add that to the amazing special effects and the fascinating story and you have the recipe for one of the best season finales; on any show.

Normally I hate repeating storylines, but I thought it was very cool O’Neill went ancient again. I always thought that the writers could get more out of ‘The Fifth race’ story, and they did it magnificently. The conversations in his house were very good. The one with Sam was very emotional, and I thought it was kind of sad it was interrupted. But the team gathering was very funny, especially the drunken Daniel.

Dr. Weir; I liked that she didn’t trust Kindsey, but I missed a certain personality. The story that Anubis is finally coming for earth; That’s great. I liked the further development of Jack going ancient. Now that they’re aware it’s happening they were able to crack some jokes about it. I loved Jack’s scene with Sam in the engine room; although I was sure he was going to kiss her. I liked President Hayes’s speech to Anubis, it shows he has a spine (I was gonna say something else, but…). I also thought Jack’s new healing ability was very cool. The same went for Teal’c’s scene with him on the cargo ship.

The last scenes of this episode were among the best ever in Stargate; Prometheus with Hammond as captain, the death gliders vs the F-302 and of course the ancient weapon destroying the better part of Anubis’ fleet. And the final scenes in the ice cave were very emotional. I loved Sam calling the Colonel ‘Jack’. And I’m still convinced Jack’s stare from behind the ice is one of a lost love. This is an end to a season that ensures that I’m going to watch the next episode.
  • A great season finale

This was one of the better season finales that I have seen on any TV show. It really did a good job of setting the stage for the series premeire that we saw of Stargate Alantis. I was suprised by the way they had Jack gain the knowladge. I didnt think that jack was gonna do it but at the same time it made sense. As I watched it the second time threw I couldnt help but think how much better it would have been if they had shown how close SG1 had come close to dying and at least alluded to the fact that they were saved by coronel mitchel. Knowing this in fact made the episode even better.
  • a huge scale attack on earth leads to new powerfull weapons being found and the threat being defeated

This is by far my favourite episode of Stargate ever it shows the Goa'uld finially mount a large scale attack on Earth which are easily defeated by the new ZPM which is powering the Ancient outpost down in Antarctica which is by far the most important thing that the Stargate program has given the United States government to help protect Earth from the Goa'uld and any other alien races that may attack Earth. It also shows the human built F 302's in action against goa'uld gliders and the biggest aerial battle that we have seen on the series it was just great.