Stargate SG-1

Maternal Instinct

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 25, 2000 on Syfy

• Average for Stargate, but still great, with lots of humour and dramatic sequences throughout.

This doesn't really feel like your normal episode of Stargate. I'm not sure why, but it definitely feels somehow different. This may have lessened my enjoyment a little, but this episode still has many fine qualities. As always, I'll start with the good qualities. There is plenty of humour in this episode. True, as with most episodes around this era most of the humour comes from O'Neill, but that doesn't make it less funny. My personal favourite lines include the janitor/usher discussion, most of Jack's reactions to the Monk's gibberish, but most of all my favourite single line is "I'm a huge fan of subtlety, but that’s down right in cryptic." I also really liked the humour derived from the interaction between Daniel and the Monk, as well as their serious moments.

Now, the whole Harcesis story arc is something a fan will either like or dislike, and I fall more into the former category. I personally feel that it's story arc is made up for by the episode "Absolute Power" which has a very good ending and morale, but it also introduces us to Oma Desala, which is a can of worms that would change the world of Stargate forever. For that reason alone, this is a good episode.

Another thing I really liked in this episode is the character journey experienced by Bra'tac. I really sympathised with him, and Tony Amendola (as always) gives a brilliant performance. I particularly like the lines "I have dreamed of finding this place twice as long as you have been alive" and " I am not yet ready to give up. I feel alive Teal’c, like a young man of 80. We still have false gods to slay."

Like I said earlier, there was something about the feel of this episode that didn't really work for me. I actually really liked the first part of this episode before they travelled to Kheb, but after that not so much. I also didn't really like the effect of Oma's face amongst the white glow of her body. That didn't work for me at all, and I just find it silly (and not in a funny way).

So, all in all this is an average episode of Stargate. It has plenty of humour, a pretty good story, and some nice ideas, one of which would go onto something huge. It's an enjoyable glimpse toward what this show would eventually contain.