Stargate SG-1

Memento Mori

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 08, 2006 on Syfy

• A focus on Vala forgets to reveal anything new

Generally speaking, I’m the type that will embrace a new character, especially when the older cast members show definite signs of waning interest. It’s largely the reason why I found myself looking forward to Robert Patrick joining “X-Files” in the wake of Duchovny’s exit, and why Ben Browder’s arrival on “SG-1” was something I enjoyed. While it’s not always the case, the arrival of a new character can sometimes jump-start a writing staff, especially if they have fallen into patterns with existing characters with established plot connections.

So when Vala was introduced and then brought back as a semi-regular, I was somewhat pleased, though concerned by the inevitable backlash. After all, Claudia Black was the second ex-“Farscape” cast member to join the series, and that led to a number of comments that the show was changing irreparably. That wasn’t the case, from my point of view, but I was a little worried over the character’s liability. She was great as a guest star, but would she work as a regular?

For me, it was akin to the addition of Annabeth Gish to “X-Files”. Patrick brought a vitality and intensity to his role, but it was almost as if the writers used up all their creative energy on the character of Doggett. There were few episodes focusing on Gish’s character Monica Reyes, and in the end, her character never had the same presence.

I mention this analogy because the writers have been working (some would say inconsistently) to make Mitchell a strong member of the team, while Vala has been featured in some big moments without outgrowing her origins as a fairly one-note guest star. This episode is all about giving Vala an episode of her own, to show what kind of person Vala is at the core, but the story is fairly mundane and ultimately feels forced.

So we find out that Vala is the kind of person who would rather run away from her problems than face them directly, but we knew that already. And despite all of that, we learn that Vala is fundamentally a good person, but the writers have already reinforced that notion as well. So what did we really learn about Vala in this episode? The slight advancement of the possible Daniel/Vala relationship was nothing new, either.

Contrast this with the “SGA” episode “The Real World”, which thrust the character of Weir into an unusual psychological space, thus revealing much about her and how she deals with adversity. This episode was trying to do something similar with Vala, but in the end, it didn’t have the same level of impact. Granted, Weir is a lead character on “SGA” and so the audience is more familiar with her, but the principles are the same.

One other problem with this episode was the stunt coordination. I noticed a similar problem on a recent episode of “SGA”. I know that there are issues with the fight choreography all the time, but it was a lot more noticeable in this episode. There were people with semi-automatic machine guns shooting at people a few feet away, missing entirely, while the “good guys” ducked the bullets!

(As a sidenote: I also have a podcast associated with my various reviews called “Dispatches from Tuzenor”. Recent episodes cover the “Stargate SG-1”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://entil2001.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • Really.... nothing much happened. Read on for spoilers and questions.

Nothing happened!
    Vala gets kidnapped... back flash 2 wks in time... introduced a new G'ould... (rather hot blonde with glowing eyes, I was hoping she's be Baal... maybe a girl-girl scene :P )... talked about OLD OLD Score (Since it was when Vala was Katesh)

Which so happens to show up in Daniel's book.... on Earth... With seemingly drawings and ancient text... Questions abound about :

1 - How did the hot blonde get onto earth ?
    2 - Why would Baal let her run things?
    3 - What is the significance of the buying and selling of stocks.
    4 - How did the Trust get a Tokra memory device ? or do the G'ould have the same tech ?
    5 - Why does the Zat have such strange and inconsistent effects ?
    [Especially when Mitchel sends the Zat energy through a metal structure.]
    6 - Vala is never seen in much H2H combat.... 7 - How does Mitchel drive a car with a shot arm ?
    8 - Why is there a need to take off his pants ?
    9 - Why did'nt the Dadelaus beam both of them up? Since they have orbiting space ships and beaming tech and sensors.
    10 - How does Vala get her memory back ?
    11 - HOw come Mitchel gets to recove so quick ?
    12 - What happend to the tactical team ? they were at the motel room scene... but not at the shoot out @ some warehous.

12 - What did T'eac say to the Trust scientist ?
  • Vala is kidnapped?? Stories like this will not save Stargate.

6.1
    A real filler episode, the only good thing about it was that the introduction of a new female baddy. And a hot one for that. It just seems to me everything goes so easy, the bad guys must have infiltrated Stargate Command a couple of times by now. Cant they plug those leaks by now? Not realy much to tell about this episode. Vala gets kidnapped, tortures for info, looses memory, escapes, works in diner, bad and good guys find her again, shoot out, the end. And how many Goaulds are there walking around on our planet, it seems that everyone of our corporations is run by a snake. The whole episode was ok there for the 6.1 but if they want to save the series they realy have to come up with better and more original storylines or per haps Stargate realy has run out of air?? Im a huge fan from day one but this will not help prolong the series.

The interaction between the actors is back to where we were when Dean Anderson was still there. So why not realy put that to use?
  • unoriginal...

Vala is captured by the trust and looses her memory. Ummm...ya, they've done a lot of episodes dealing with memory loss and I don't see why they did another. This episode was good in the sense that it developed Vala's character, but, other than that, it wasn't that good. They've done it all before: the trust kidnapping people, the mind device thing, and the whole forgetting thing...I just was disappointed. I loved the "date" between Daniel and Vala though. This episode also made me like Vala's character a little more, but it still wasn't that good. Overall, unoriginal episode that was good only for character development.
  • They're really reaching with this type story

Unfortunately, SG1 just served up a good reason to support the detractors that want to cancel this series. I'm giving the episode a 7, because I'm a fan and can't bring myself to trash the series. But . . . jeez! an amnesia storyline! How many THOUSANDS of times have I seen this exact story over the years. Not just in TV but in the movies. This was old when Marie Dressler ruled the box office. Come on, guys! Don't give the SG1 haters more ammunition like this. Try and save this series. Don't help shovel dirt onto the coffin.
  • Vala finds herself alone in a city with no memory of her identity or past life. Meanwhile, Mitchell and Teal\'c question a man named Weaver who may have information about Vala\'s whereabouts.

7.1
    I have to say that I do like Vala's character, though when she first came I was kinda hating because every show has to put in another girl character, but that's besides the point. Truth be told I didn't see the point of the episode. They didn't seem to gain anything from it so the question here people is: Why?
  • A Tad Unoriginal, but the Daniel Vala date made up for it!

I dont like to be negative, but this episode was a little unoriginal and not only that, I swear i've seen a similar episode in season 5...

Firsly the Positives. I thought the bit with Mitchel tied to a bed was absolutely hilarious. I really could not stop laughing!

It was good to finally find out that the woman from Ex Deus Machina was actually Athena, an arch nemesis of Valas ex self. The Random Diner Guy! Absolutely loved him! They should do an episode just on him...maybe just on a different show though.

Daniel and Vala went on a date! That ladies and gentlemen made this episode completely watchable! The dialogue between these two was once again fantastic. The wit shown over and over by Vala is one reason I consistently watch Season 10. The reactions by the team to their date was also a great way to end the episode.

The Negatives. The end and the storyline were really bad and i swear i've seen it on so many other Sci Fi shows. The only thing that didn't make it unbearable to watch was that it had some Vala and Daniel action. Also because Vala lost her memories, she seemed to lose her fantastic wit so we lost what a great Vala episode could have been.

Overall, an alright episode that did have some good moments. Maybe an attempt to try something new would have made this story a little bit more interesting. Counterstrike was definitely better.
  • Vala loses her memory after being kidnapped by one of Qethesh's former Goa'uld rivals. After she escapes, SG-1 must find her before the Trust can.

I'm going to admit a couple of things before I start this review. I'm biased with this episode. I do not like the Trust. I'm not sure there's an episode I've seen involving them that I've really liked. If Ba'al's not directly involved it's even worse. On the other hand, I love Daniel/Vala. The moments between those two as well as the hotel room with Aeryn and Cri-, erm, Vala and Mitchell really help bring the episode back up in my eyes.

So, let's focus on the positives. I did like the Daniel/Vala scenes. The opening in the restaurant was cute, Daniel's determination to find her touching (if you could call it that), the scene in the warehouse when he talks her down was great (I always like it when Claudia, or any actor on this show, gets to play an emotion their character doesn't frequently exhibit), as is his insistence at the end of the episode that they weren't on a date, as cliched as that may be. Even Landry didn't appear to be buying it. Other good bits: Vala cuffing Mitchell to the bed, SG-1's discovery of Mitchell in such a position, Sam joking that Cam is always losing his pants, Vala's addition to SG-1.

I'm not quite sure why they made her a member now. Maybe they realized when she disappeared that she was a valuable member of the team and had contributed nicely in her time since returning from the Ori galaxy. She hasn't beheaded any Goa'uld in Stargates or anything, but she's done all right. Anyway, it's nice to see.

And then there are the bad aspects. Like I mentioned before, I don't really like the Trust so half of the episode's main storyline a bit off putting to me. A little dull, a little pointless, I just wish the SGC could get rid of these guys and move on. Is there some grand storyline planned for them? I hope so, and I hope the payoff is amazing because otherwise this has all been rather pointless.
  • Vala's episode.

I think that - Vala's episode takes it all together. I do not know. It was somehow so familiar for me. maybe because Vala quite reminded that ascended being working on that café Daniel was when he was between two plains. Anyway, I loved the depth this episode added to Vala. First the sentence when she step by step started to remember - that maybe she does not want to remember past as it does not sound too good. That shows that within she is a good person. I think this was the point the wanted to prove - as when we first met her, that was not too sure.

Also, that little naivnes what we learned about her and in the end. I think emotional episode, again. And mainly character development.
  • Vala gets kidnapped and in the attempt to rescue her her memories get fried. With no memory, money or friends and people after her - she seeking answers while also trying to hide.

I thought this episode was excellent. Vala is a great addition to the the SG team (then again I'm biased cause I loved her & Ben in Farscape - ultimately one of the best sci-fi shows on TV, until it was axed).

This episode showed us a more vunerable side to Vala and the scene between her and Sal was amazing. She had no memory yet she knew deep down that she wouldn't return to give him the money she owed him.

The chemistry between Daniel & Vala is really good. I'm not suggesting a romantic relationship cause that would be pointless at this stage with the show ending (unfairly) at the end of season 10 but the character relationship (meaning the scriptwriting) is just so easy to believe. I think that is why the show is so successful.

The actors play off each other to such an extreme that it improves their performance and believability.

Very enjoyable.
  • Vala loses her memory

The episode with the Danial-Vala "not a date" date. I knew it was coming. I could see it a mile away. But, its okay. Now that Vala is being toned down much, her and Daniel make a nice couple.

It was nice to see some nice character moments, and her as a waitress was good. She said this line to Sol about her watching X-Files reruns. I told my wife it would've been funnier if she had said she was watching reruns of "That 70s Show" or even "Wormhole X-Treme".

Anyway, I have nothing bad to say about the episode. Usually the Trust episodes are kind of filler and take up space in the season. However, this one is different and it was okay.
  • My fair Vala

It’s been three weeks since Daniel Jackson took Vala out to celebrate their anniversary, err. actually to thank her for the way she’s handled herself for the last few months, he’s especially proud of her involvement in the SG-1 program and he chooses to take her out to a nice restaurant seeing that she has not much chances to do so by herself, she’s touched by the detail but once she leaves for the bathroom she’s taken by a former Goa’ul rival who’s searching the knowledge she still carries from her former symbiot.

The SGC has located her on a warehouse but something goes wrong while they try to retrieve her and Vala ends up with her memories wiped out before the place blows up, Daniel is informed that preliminary DNA tests places Vala in there right before the explosion but he simply would not have it. He refused to think her dead by the time she crossed to Ori space and he refuses to think her dead right now, Mitchell only hopes he’s right.

And right he is since Vala has been living as a waitress in a dinner about to be assault all these weeks. As her former self kicks in, she automatically neutralizes the thieves but once she’s sent for questioning to the local police she escapes not only from the people trying to capture her but from her own friends as well, although she does help Mitchell after he’s been hurt trying to protect her she doesn’t know why she does it. In the end, Daniel finally finds her while the team reduce the people who did this to her; he knows that she won’t hurt him but he can’t let her go for he knows she won’t stop running just like she did back when they first met; he asks her to remember them and to come home with him. Once that Vala recovers she’s rewarded with SG1 insignias as she’s now an official member of the team.
  • A Vala Story...

When I first heard the description of this episode I didn't think I would like it, at all. But it was a better episode than what I thought. It was so funny when Vala hand cuffed Mitchell to the bed and everyone else comes in and Mitchell is laying there eating Junk food. The whole car chase scene was amazing. What would have made this episode better is if Cliff Simon was in it because this other Gould wanted to know where this treasure was that Quetesh found. At the end Vala is an honourary member of SG1. Vala is an interesting character. Later...
  • Great Vala story

First the restaurant scene was very funny with Daniel trying to pass it off as just friends going to dinner and trying to keep Vala from drinking too much. I really liked the concern from the team, especially Daniel, when Vala went missing and their willingness not to give up when it looked like she might be dead. The car chase scene was cool and the crash was excellent. My favorite part would have to be when Vala cuffed Cam to the bed. Ben and Claudia showed the chemistry that mad Farscape so good. Then the end when she was made an official member of SG-1 was touching.
  • Valera does kick booty!

Valera is in a city where she doesn't remember who she is nor where she came from. And that the team try to question a man named Weaver who may know about her whereabouts. But still, she does kick butt and that she still have the skills in order to survivor despite having no memory of her own. Great show and above average!
  • Vala is kidnapped and used to find an ancient treasure. In the process she losers her memory and sg-1 tries to get her back.

I just loved this episode beyond belief. My favorite part was the scene when Daniel convinced Vala to remember her who she was. First off, I loved the date idea with Daniel and Vala because I'm a crazy Daniel/Vala shipper. I thought the dialogue was very enjoyable. Though I didn't like the woman playing the goa'uld and I don't think they would actually be able to SEE her memories it's called a little bit of suspended belief.

I thought the bit with Mitchell tied to a bed was absolutely hilarious. And on a side note I really enjoyed the performance by Sal.

The ending was amazing and I was soooooo happy when Vala became a member of sg-1, though, I'm not sure she really deserves it yet. The reactions by the team to Daniel's 'date' was a very funny way to end the episode.

Overall, very enjoyable for us Daniel/Vala shippers and anyone who is looking for a good sg-1 episode with a good deal of action.
  • Vala kicks ass and doesn't break a sweat. NID and Gould are making a come back. SG1 officially gains a new member.

I liked this episode a lot. It had action and adventure. Again we did not see the Stargate but that didn't affect the quality of the episode. Mitchell gets undressed, Vala forgets everything and still kicks butt, Carter cracks some jokes (even in Atlantis), and Teal'c makes a Trust agent nearly crap himself. Seeing the chase scene reminds our viewers how cool the show is and that isn't counting the three ... yes, count it ... 3 shooting scenes. The action at the end of the episode was very entertaining. It balanced well with Daniel trying to get Vala's memories back. Zats vs. guns and SG1 won. Hopefully, we will see more of our heroes duke it out with the bad guys soon on some other channel.
  • Vala gets amnesia and starts having backflashes of when she was Katesh!

I, personally, thought this episode was pretty good. I understand a lot of people think it has nothing to do with the crisis with the Ori and they'll never solve their problem with episodes like this, but that doesn't make the episode any less good.

Personally, I get tired of hearing about the same bad guys week after week. Sure, I want to know what happens with the Ori and how they're going to defeat them, but I like to see a little variety in the story line. It gets a little monotonous after awhile.

This is the shows tenth season and I don't think episodes like this one will get it canceled. 10 seasons for any show is a long long time, I hope the show continues, but only time will tell! It's amazing what SG-1 can accomplish in one episode. Who knows, maybe they'll solve their Ori problem in the Season Finale.

I thought this episode showed more of Vala and who she was as Katesh. I hope to hear more about Vala's past in the future.