Stargate SG-1

Memento Mori

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 08, 2006 on Syfy

• Vala loses her memory after being kidnapped by one of Qethesh's former Goa'uld rivals. After she escapes, SG-1 must find her before the Trust can.

I'm going to admit a couple of things before I start this review. I'm biased with this episode. I do not like the Trust. I'm not sure there's an episode I've seen involving them that I've really liked. If Ba'al's not directly involved it's even worse. On the other hand, I love Daniel/Vala. The moments between those two as well as the hotel room with Aeryn and Cri-, erm, Vala and Mitchell really help bring the episode back up in my eyes.

So, let's focus on the positives. I did like the Daniel/Vala scenes. The opening in the restaurant was cute, Daniel's determination to find her touching (if you could call it that), the scene in the warehouse when he talks her down was great (I always like it when Claudia, or any actor on this show, gets to play an emotion their character doesn't frequently exhibit), as is his insistence at the end of the episode that they weren't on a date, as cliched as that may be. Even Landry didn't appear to be buying it. Other good bits: Vala cuffing Mitchell to the bed, SG-1's discovery of Mitchell in such a position, Sam joking that Cam is always losing his pants, Vala's addition to SG-1.

I'm not quite sure why they made her a member now. Maybe they realized when she disappeared that she was a valuable member of the team and had contributed nicely in her time since returning from the Ori galaxy. She hasn't beheaded any Goa'uld in Stargates or anything, but she's done all right. Anyway, it's nice to see.

And then there are the bad aspects. Like I mentioned before, I don't really like the Trust so half of the episode's main storyline a bit off putting to me. A little dull, a little pointless, I just wish the SGC could get rid of these guys and move on. Is there some grand storyline planned for them? I hope so, and I hope the payoff is amazing because otherwise this has all been rather pointless.