Stargate SG-1

New Ground

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 18, 2000 on Syfy

• Excellent depiction of the True Believer

Excellent depiction of "longshoreman philosopher" Eric Hoffer's concept of the "True Believer."

This particular True Believer was a religious fundamentalist, specifically a "creationist."

But he might just as well have been any believer in conventional government and statist coercion, convinced that individuals must not enjoy "too much freedom" lest "anarchy" prevail.
  • This is probably my least favorite of episode of season 3.

I don't know what it is about this episode that I dislike the most but the more times I see it the less I like it. I did like the beginning gate activation and the fact that the gate was still half inside a cliff. My biggest complaint would have to be that the people of this planet are so stupid and couldn't see the truth if it bit them in the ass. The leader was the worst and saying that walking through solid rock an allusion was the ridiculous. But I guess I shouldn't expect much from religious fanatics. The episode did have some good humor with the "We come in peace" gags and giant worms. The Teal'c part was kind of weak and that these people had the technology to cure blindness was a little to convenient. Nyan was one bright spot of the episode and his open mindedness was a welcomed addition. The end was pretty cool with the escape but overall this is one of the worst in the third season but much better then the worst from 1 and 2 "Emancipation" and "One False Step".
  • Interesting plot but...

the plot was quite interesting and really nailed me for while until I understand - there is nothing great coming out. So - the ending was good and promising but the story just fainted in the middle - three chars were caged.. Teal'c alone and blinded in the forest and I do not know - it might have been Teal'c episode but it gave us nothing.. it was quite colorless. I only liked the idea that some people, even if they saw, did not believed on Stargate and denied it. The truth is hard to take, it proves.

Quite filler episode.
  • SG-1 gets captured, Jack says "Bite me."

See above for plot line. This episode is filler in every sense of the word, but not only that it was also just plain bad. The guest stars made me want to fall asleep, the set/planet was nothing really new, the alien technology(which we never see again) is goofy-looking and in some cases had really bad CG(i.e. their "shuttles"). Everyone's performance is pretty lackluster, and like I said in the summary the best part was Jack telling off the commandant. The episode is tilted towards Teal'c as he has to rescue SG-1, but he is blinded and cannot fight real well. His performance is well below par, but we do see some nice sparks of determination as he tries to make his way around with his partially damaged eyesight, but generally the warrior's strength seems to be missing. But aside from those two things it was a very dry episode. I often skip this one, you might want to as well.
  • pretty good episode, but nothing too special...

The SGC connects to a planet that they were unable to connect to before because it was burried. SG-1 goes through and meets a scientist but they are soon captured, except for Teal'c. Nyan, the scientist, helps Teal'c, which was blinded by an enemy weapon and they eventually save SG-1 and that's about it. It was interesting to see a world that was in a war over the belief of their existence. Overall, it was a good episode, but nothing too special. There was good suspense, but it was pretty predictable. Teal'c's junior was injured and they said he may die, but it was obvious he wasn't going to. The enemey technology was pretty cool. They had cages with electrical currents and stun weapons and ships with force fields. Anyways, it was just a pretty good episode.
  • Boring

This episode was very unorginal and slow. It was like the writer run out of stort to tell. The main plot was that SG1 coming to a new world starts a war between two races over the Stargate, all of SG1 are captured apart from Tel'c who has to save the rest. This was a filler episode for the series. It had its highlights at points but for the most part i didn't think it was at full protential. I did like however the part where Tel'c came and rescued the team and took out like 20 soldiers signal handidly. Anyway i hope the next episode is better.
  • A great story and lots of humour. So what's with the low score?

This is another episode from season 3 that I had fond memories of before watching again recently. Like the previous few episodes, this is also one I highly enjoyed. I'm really surprised that this episode has such a low score.

Firstly, this episode has a good concept and story: a planet at war over the existence of the Stargate, with our heroes caught in the middle. It's firstly a very interesting idea and is executed well, but it's also a great parallel for here on Earth: what would happen if a major religious group found evidence contradicting their beliefs? It really is an intelligent science fiction concept.

Secondly, there is a lot of humour in this episode. It's even more impressive that there aren't any pop-culture references in this episode, which only makes the humour that much more impressive. There are such classic gags throughout (although mostly from O'Neill), such as "I have no friends...” O'Neill's explanations for the Stargate (in particular "Giant Worms...HUGE!"), and of course the two "We come in peace" bits, which are brilliant. No matter how I say it to myself, I can never match the way O'Neill delivers it in this episode: it's just perfect.

The relationship between Teal'c and Nyan is another strong point of the episode. Teal'c learning to trust Nyan, understanding his scientific mind and point of view despite what's happening, is believable and interesting. However, the whole subplot with Teal'c losing his sight didn't really work for me, although it does help the story in terms of not having Teal'c rescue them too early.

I should also add that another of he episode's strong points are the conversations amongst the Bedrosians about their unmovable religious beliefs despite being in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Like I said above, it's very easy to relate to our modern times.

Throw in a nice little firefight at the end (by the way, I love those silly little shoe/iron guns), and this episode isn't that bad, certainly not bad enough to warrant it's rather low score.

In summary, this is a very underrated episode in my opinion. It has a great science fiction concept that is very relatable to today's situation, and of course a lot of humour, which is exactly what I love about this show.