Stargate SG-1

Off the Grid

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 2006 on Syfy

• A fun and exciting episode.

This was one of the better episodes in the latter part of the season. Mitchell, has the same way about him as Crichton did on Farscape. I mean the whole one word deals, the references to movies and such. Then there is getting the crew into trouble. He did this quiet frequently on Farscape, lets hope he doesn't take four(not enough)seasons to learn at SG1.

• Hey! Where did it go? again...

While SG-1 are trying to extract themselves from a hostile situation, Ba'al comes along and snatches away the Stargate - and thereby their way off the planet.

Luckily, because they failed to check in on time, a ship was dispatched from Earth to find them. SG-1 got beamed aboard an instant before they were riddled with bullets...

Not the most original or exciting episode perhaps, but Ba'al was good as always, and the scenes with Nerus were highly entertaining.

I've tried to keep track of how many Ba'al copies there were in total, and unless he's set up another lab and made more, technically speaking this should be the end of him...
    But we all know the Goa'uld aren't very good at staying dead :-)
  • SG-1 investigates a form of highly addictive corn in possession of the Lucian Alliance. When things don't go as planned, their situation becomes a lot more complicated when the Stargate suddenly disappears.

This episode has its fun moments, but a lot of it feels uneven and pointless. Mitchell's plan doesn't seem in character and ill conceived, though they do address the latter issue. Still, it seems much more like Crichton than Mitchell to do something like he does, even if Cameron is supposed to be a little rash. Then there's the Lucian Alliance who just don't seem to pose that much of a threat. Compared to the Ori or even to Ba'al these guys don't have much presence. Even when his ship was at an enormous disadvantage I half expected him to come through, clone or not. It would be nice to give the Alliance more weight as villains, but they show up so infrequently that I'm not sure that there's really a point. Good aspects of this episode include what I pointed out above: it is a good deal of fun. Even if the beginning is kind of dumb, the team is still pretty entertaining trying to pose as drug buyers and bickering over who does the best job at it. The introduction of the [i]Odyssey[/i] is cool, though a little jarring after just losing the [i]Prometheus[/i] last episode. The return of Nerus is pretty fun, and he gets a terrific death scene. And speaking of the end, few things are better than a massive gun fight. And they're not even using P90s. I really like Mitchell's new gun. Still, even these aspects don't quite elevate an average episode.
  • Kind of a dull episode. Good but not excellent. Amanda Tapping shines, though.

The Stargate teams becomes aware of the fact that an entire population is being addicted to a powerful drug. The source of the drug is a special strain of corn, of all things.

The individual behind the drug problem is the arch enemy of the Stargate Command: Anubis.

Naturally, SG-1 is dispatched. The team goes down to the planet incognito to investigate.

Okay as far as plots go but not really all that exciting, surprising, or suspenseful. Nothing that keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat this time.

The one bright spot of the episode was that Amanda Tapping reveals quite a lot of herself during a surveillance scene.
  • Missing gates...

7.6
    Oh, when the episode started, I was wondering.. wait a minute.. did I have seen this episode? (as it was like month after I watched the previous one and I was not sure if I am taking the right episode).. it looked so familiar.. and then the gate disappeared. Ok, by that time I got - this is not the episode I have seen but it had many very familiar elements. But what good they had in this episode? First ofcourse Baal again and the battle in the end, tagging the stargates and then getting off and ofcourse Teal'c sentence.. oh.. one of the best things there.

Adventurous but not too unique episode.
  • An Alright episode...

7.9
    SG1 goes to a planet about some special corn and when things go badly and they try to leave the stargate disapears. General Landry goes to Nerus and Guess who? It was Ba'al's idea. As most of you know I'm a Ba'al fan and I really like the episodes that he is in. What was really cool is that the Prometheus was replaced pretty quickley with the Odyssey. I think the Odyssey looks better than the prometheus. They kinda did something in this episode that they did in the season 3 finale when sg1 uses the stargate on the ship to nearly escape. This episode was action packed with Mitchell and Teal'c killing all of the jaffa. Later...

This episode has its fun moments, but a lot of it feels uneven and pointless. Mitchell's plan doesn't seem in character and ill conceived, though they do address the latter issue. Still, it seems much more like Crichton than Mitchell to do something like he does, even if Cameron is supposed to be a little rash. Then there's the Lucian Alliance who just don't seem to pose that much of a threat. Compared to the Ori or even to Ba'al these guys don't have much presence. Even when his ship was at an enormous disadvantage I half expected him to come through, clone or not. It would be nice to give the Alliance more weight as villains, but they show up so infrequently that I'm not sure that there's really a point. Good aspects of this episode include what I pointed out above: it is a good deal of fun. Even if the beginning is kind of dumb, the team is still pretty entertaining trying to pose as drug buyers and bickering over who does the best job at it. The introduction of the [Odyssey is cool, though a little jarring after just losing the Prometheus last episode. The return of Nerus is pretty fun, and he gets a terrific death scene. And speaking of the end, few things are better than a massive gun fight. And they're not even using P90s. I really like Mitchell's new gun. Still, even these aspects don't quite elevate an average episode.
  • Very cool action episode.

Just seeing the pics of this episode go me excited before I saw it. Pics of the team struting in their get-ups. And then pics of Teal'c posing as they beam aboard. Then when I saw it it was as exciting as I had expected. Some serious action at the end as they try to tag all the gates and Teal'c and Mitchell are just blasting. I must admit that it is a typical episode plot wise, but with finely done action sequences. And seeing the team dressed up like that was something new and cool. It was a very exciting SG-1 outing.
  • Dumber and Dumber

This episode clearly demonstrates that the writers of SG1 are clearly undermotivated and uninspired, borrowing old themes from a hundred cop shows and resting on a past good record.

Can we really believe for a second that the Lucian Alliance is smart enough to bio-engineer a hallucinogenic and addictive crop but not smart enough to realize that.....ahhh...corn, being mostly water and fiber wouldnt lend itself well to transport or distribution, stargate or not!

They could have made it pumpkins and it would at least have been funny.

Or that the "drug lord" of that particular planet is smart enough to keep both his customers and his boss happy up till now can think of only one reason that SG1 stole the stargate without first escaping;"bad timing" and spends 2 days sticking to that assumption.

Or that Baal has the resources to steal the stargates but not the resources to protect them or his ship from the daring SG1?

I could have even accepted all of that except for the fact that SG1 and their bosses are making moral judgements about how other societies should be living(with or without corn) while Earth still deals with exactly the same problem. Although the hallucinogenic addictive substances of earth at least lend themselves better to distribution, even without a stargate.

The previous writing staff of S-SG1 would have understood that trying to stop the supply of "cassa"? would have been a fools task anyway. First reason genetic enginering just aint that hard "out there" and it's the market that creates the demand. If this were not so Earth would no longer have a drug "problem" either.

The mandate of SG1 used to be: "To secure favorable alliances and technology for the purpose of defeating the Goauld" Now what? "We are the Narcs of the galaxy"???

The reference to Shaft might have been funny but in this case it seems that the writers are trying to borrow on someone else's credibility without honoring it.

The goauld with more appetite than power was no more than a schmuck. When the writers of S-SG1 insult the power of even the enemy in this way, it's time to rethink where theyre going.

• SG-1 under the command of Colonel Mitchell go searching for members of the Lucian Alliance, only to discover that something much larger is afoot. Bringing them into contact with an old enemy.

Having seen preview pictures for the episode I thought it looked exciting, what could be better than SG-1 under cover and working as a team?However I soon became bored of Mitchell's out of character recklessness. I understand that people make mistakes but someone who would act like that and put his team in danger on a whim does not belong in command of an off-world team. The reference to Shaft made me chuckle but Mitchell has alot of work to do to redeem himself in my eyes. And lets face it we didn't really see a whole lot of the other members. Not one of the stronger episodes, I only hope it serves some plot further along the line.
  • What a fun episode!

I have to admit that the story itself wasn't that great, but it fun watching our beloved characters......and villains.....in funny situations. As annoying Nerus was, I found him quite funny. I loved the scenes with him and Landry. I absolutely love Ba'al! I loved when the Ba'al clones come walking by! LOL! That was a great moment!

Landry was great, too! I love the whole bit on how he don't trust Goa'uld.

Love Cameron calling Sam Mary Poppins, and Sam going, "Hey!" LOL!

Love Michael Shanks and Ben Browder in the leather! And Michael has delicious arms.....and so does Ben!

Love the whole bit about the "space corn" in the briefing room.
  • This episode was great. It showed the chemistry between the charactors and brought in some comedy that has benn missing with out RDA.

It reminded me of episodes from older seasons. All of the charactors worked off of eachother and had great chemistry. They also brought in Landry and the captive Gould to tie in some other story lines. I thought this was the best episode so far in season nine. It showed the team working together and gave Landry some more air time.
  • A lot happens, but the road getting there wasn't as interesting as it could have been

To a certain extent, I like the basic idea at the heart of this episode. Even setting the Jaffa Nation aside, there are a number of issues still remaining in the wake of the defeat of the System Lords. In a way, it reminds me of the primary concept for the Star Wars Extended Universe novels before the New Jedi Order. A lot of the books were devoted to the idea of various powers trying to fill the gaps left by the Empire, including several of the remaining admirals. And of course, that meant trying to rebuild the Empire and prevent the success of the Rebellion from spreading.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers were rather familiar with those books (they were rather popular), since a number of the same ideas are being explored in this season. There’s the emerging new threat, the criminals taking control of Goa’uld resources, Baal trying to carve out a new empire of his own (using clones in the process), and the Tau’ri trying to hold it all together and keep the idea of self-determination viable.

Like those novels, however, the quality of each tale can be highly variable. And of course, different fans have different preferences. I took a bit of slack because I didn’t find the previous episode all that interesting. Well, that’s personal preference. I also thought that this episode was hit or miss, scene by scene, and it didn’t really come together for me until the final act or so.

The first half of the episode, dealing with SG-1 running up against the Lucian Alliance, wasn’t quite as interesting as it could have been. As much as I like the idea of rogue humans taking control of System Lord resources and creating a galactic crime syndicate in the process, the implementation of that idea is not always as good as it could be. Sure, it’s fun to have Amanda Tapping in a leather corset top, but it doesn’t cover up mediocre events.

Far more interesting was the idea of Baal stealing stargates to create his own independent network. That’s actually not something I had thought of, but it makes perfect sense. But I was a little put off at the idea that Baal would only be trying this using one group of clones. Obviously, I don’t believe that Baal is gone for good after this episode, since there are several of his clones out there. But did he only have one ship with an Asgard transport device? Seems like it would work better if he had a few parallel efforts to steal gates and set up isolated networks that he could bring online and then link together.

I also felt that the quick introduction of the Odyssey takes some of the thunder from the previous episode. I liked the idea of a relatively self-contained situation having a huge impact on the SGC’s overall operations, but that’s completely undercut by the fact that a much more powerful ship is ready to go online in the very next episode!

Nerus was also a bit annoying. Or rather, Landry’s version of trying to convince Nerus to explain what Baal was doing with the gates. While I understand that the goal was getting Nerus to ingest the locator beacon, it felt like Landry gave Nerus his feast a little too quickly. It’s a minor thing, but it also didn’t give me the feeling that Landry was quite as clever as the writers wanted him to seem.
  • Season 9 has really picked up again. (spoilers)

I really like the path Stargate SG-1 is taking, and the character development and writing is really good as well again. Though I miss Jack and yes, Vala, the show has found its footing, and Mitchell has found a true place in the cast I think. The humor of the episode and storyline changes and arcs were great, from smugglers to balls attempt at requiring his glory, continuing and updating back stories as they go, hidey idey idey hoo! Fun stuff.