Stargate SG-1

Off the Grid

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 2006 on Syfy

• SG-1 investigates a form of highly addictive corn in possession of the Lucian Alliance. When things don't go as planned, their situation becomes a lot more complicated when the Stargate suddenly disappears.

This episode has its fun moments, but a lot of it feels uneven and pointless. Mitchell's plan doesn't seem in character and ill conceived, though they do address the latter issue. Still, it seems much more like Crichton than Mitchell to do something like he does, even if Cameron is supposed to be a little rash. Then there's the Lucian Alliance who just don't seem to pose that much of a threat. Compared to the Ori or even to Ba'al these guys don't have much presence. Even when his ship was at an enormous disadvantage I half expected him to come through, clone or not. It would be nice to give the Alliance more weight as villains, but they show up so infrequently that I'm not sure that there's really a point. Good aspects of this episode include what I pointed out above: it is a good deal of fun. Even if the beginning is kind of dumb, the team is still pretty entertaining trying to pose as drug buyers and bickering over who does the best job at it. The introduction of the [i]Odyssey[/i] is cool, though a little jarring after just losing the [i]Prometheus[/i] last episode. The return of Nerus is pretty fun, and he gets a terrific death scene. And speaking of the end, few things are better than a massive gun fight. And they're not even using P90s. I really like Mitchell's new gun. Still, even these aspects don't quite elevate an average episode.