Stargate SG-1

Orpheus

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 27, 2003 on Syfy

• good episode...

Rya'c and Bra'tac are trapped in a jaffa death camp and SG-1 goes out to try to save them. In the end, they save everyone in the jaffa death camp and the rescues join the jaffa rebellion. Anyways, the episode was pretty good. It had an interesting story and was executed relatively well. The whole "Teal'c lost his mojo" thing was kind of funny, but kind of annoying at the same time. The main problem I had with this episode was Rya'c. He drives me crazy. I hate him. He is a bad character, a bad actor, and he just reminds me of a little whining baby. Ugh, I just want them to shoot him. Anyways, it was a pretty good episode and it's great to see Bra'tac again.
  • Really good Teal'c episode.

Trough years there have been quite many Teal'c episodes but I have not much liked them but this one was real different. I am not sure even how or why, but this really caught me. First that this is personal for him - Bra'tac and Rya'c. And I think we love both of those chars too and do not want to lose them. The way Teal'c has never been on the situation - being shot and being ill. There has always been Junior to make him better and now it his gone. Now there is only he and to regain his confident and to see that he is still able to do what he used to - this is all about that. The inner fight. Even Teal'c has that.
  • action and a great shoot out

This was such a fine installment, very well crafted as it managed to have a sub pot. Also all my favourite characters were included, it tied up a few loose ends, Teal'c is not the same without junior, he remembers how daniel watched over him, bratac is still as wise as ever and sg1 kicked ass. this was also one of the few tealc episodes that had a decent sub plot, chrstper judge played hs part well and it was good to see him get his mojo back. There were excellent laughs to be had between daniel and o neil, "pep talk?" and also great strength when tealc breaks the bad guys neck. this was brill, loved how they ended up with more warriors for the cause! i still miss nemec though
  • Very good episode with a slight glitch

7.9
    A stargate address consists of 7 symbols (within our Galaxy) of which the first six symbols act as co-ordinates, creating three intersecting lines, the destination. The Stargate uses the seventh symbol as the point of origin allowing one to plot a straight line course to the destination. As the incoming wormhole is being established, you can clearly see the seventh chevron being locked and the vortex is generated. In this episodes the seventh chevron is the symbol of earth, which is in my opinion is not possible since they are dailing earth. Unless i completely misunderstand the coordinates system.
  • this one was really good it dealt with Teal'c's lack of Junior and how he was feeling about it. He feels that he less effective without it. But when Daniel and he get to conparing dreams and lack of Daniel realizes that he knows about Rya'c and Bra

they are prisoners on a planet where they are being literally worked to death. Bra'tac is running out of his tratonin and they have to save them.
    When they get there are going to break them out at dark. Teal'c sneaks in and tries to free bra'tac and Rya'c. But they want to take everyone with them. Well Teal'c gets caught and is injured. When he had gotten there he gave his tratonin to Bra'tac. Now Teal'c is ready to let go and has lost all his "mojo". Jack and the others are unable to help that night cause then they would all be caught and may never beable to get out of there.
    Sam and Daniel Snealk onto the ship and plant explosives this is to create a diversion so they can get them out of there. About the time to diversion starts Teal'c volunteers to take Ry'ac's place to be executed. But instead Teal'c fights and he gets his famous MOJO back. It was a case of coming down to the very last minute before they are rescued but none the less they are rescued.
    Very good episode.
  • Better than expected, but still isn't a marvelous eppy.

7.2
    I first heard people talking about the episode Orpheus before I watched it. Lots of people were saying that it’s a very Teal’c based episode and it was just a typical Teal’c based episode, which got me thinking it was going to be boring. I’m not a huge fan of Teal’c episodes where the entire story revolves around honor and being a warrior, etc, etc. Episodes like that tend to bore me. This was actually nothing of the sort. Let me begin with the first scene, which would actually get you thinking that this was a typical sort of Teal’c episode. He is injured and feels that he isn’t strong anymore. Before it really got started I was throwing my hand over my head. It took me awhile to realize that the plot was going deeper. Luckily, with the Daniel Jackson character back in the season, they managed to include two characters that I happen to adore in the episode.

They of course managed to bring Ry’ac, the son of Teal’c and Bra’tac into the episode. All I can say is thank god for the plot device that is Daniel Jackson. Like always for episodes that include the Jaffa that Teal’c knows, he episode does include a good hefty part about honor and how weakness is death. But unlike most other Teal’c episodes, it includes all of the characters and doesn’t just revolve around how Teal’c has, “Lost his honor.” Or “Shown weakness.” Because even if SOME of the episode is revolved around that, there are other things happening in the story that we can pay attention to if that doesn’t interest us.

I also think the entire dynamic of the Ry’ac character is quite interesting. At one point in the end, when Teal’c is fighting one of the Jaffa, he in a way wants the Jaffa to be shot by Bra’tac because he wants to protect his father and doesn’t want to see him hurt. He shows a lot more emotion than any older Jaffa would. But also, he stops Bra’tac because he knows what Daniel said earlier, that he’s just lost his confidence. Allowing Teal’c to shoot the Jaffa in the end, not only shows that he has confidence in his father, but also that he wants to protect him and at the same time make sure that he is as strong as he possibly can be.

I am giving this episode a 7.2 because even though it was much better than expected it still had many points where the show seemed to just be dragging on. Though I was happy to see that they involved the other characters a bit more than in most Teal'c episodes, I still found it annoying that Jack and Sam seemed to be pointless aside for rescuing Teal'c. It was a thrilling episode, but it lacked what I personally look for in any Stargate SG-1 episode.