Stargate SG-1

Point of View

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 30, 1999 on Syfy

• Mirror

Versions of Carter and Kawalski go through the dimensional mirror we saw in season one. Their world has been overrun by the Goa'uld. They ask the SG-1 team to aid them in defeating the Goa'uld and saving their Earth. In the end the SG team makes it possible for the Alternate team to contact the Asgard for aid in freeing their planet.
  • not another mirror episode! all they do is showing that in most cases the goauld wins and we (yes, WE!) are dead.

Why do they keep doing these alternate universe episodes??? i say as i said the last mirror episode, this totally takes away the good work that sg 1 does in "our" reality! i think teal´c said it pretty good in the beginning of this episode; "how do we know which is the real universe?". and another thing we learned this episode was that "our" universe are one of only a handful that havent been conqured by the goa´uld. That is so sad! they may save the lifes of us all in one universe, but in another ones (that meens exactly as much as ours, because it is US there too) we are dead or slaves. what does it count that we live peaceful lives in one of the few not conquered universes...?

what i meen ia impossible to describe here, i hope you all see what kinda what im trying to say...
  • That darn quantum mirror is back...

This is definitely one for the 'shippers, never has the potential for a relationship between Sam and Jack been fleshed out up to this point in the series. This subplot was quite touching and very tastefully done. One thing that bothered me about this episode, however, is that it was entirely too easy for the Carters to repair the power source Jack made in The Fifth Race. If it was possible to repair the device then why didn't they do so earlier to use it as an additional power source? That point aside, the episode was very well done, although I must admit I'm a little biased. I've always liked the alternate reality episodes, seeing the different possibilities for the characters has always been something I've found to be intriguing.
  • One of those might be episodes.

There have been and there will be later on SG-1 and on Atlantis.. those alternate reality things and when first that is refreshing, than on some point they get lost. This episode and this way it was done, that was not one of those.

The charming storyline and the way now there was two Carters, and all the different things between those realities. It looks like lately there have been more and more emotional things written into episodes like last episode and now this - it is really enjoyable and opening new point of view.

And ofcourse the end - they have a change to save that world on alternate reality and Teal'c killing himself. Another really great thing going for that emotional and ethical views they are offering. I like where this is going.
  • awesome episode...

Sam and Kawalsky appear at area 51 and are from an alternate reality where the goa'uld have just taken over their world. They are allowed to stay, but it appears that there cannot be two Sam's in the same reality so they devise a way to save the other reality from the goa'uld by contacting their asgards. It worked...I love this episode. It was like There but for the Grace of God which was a season 1 episode, but this one was just as good -even better. It was really sweet that Sam and Jack were married in the other reality, but Jack died. It was so sweet. Seeing two alternate reality episodes and seeing that, in both, Jack and Sam were engaged or married it makes me wonder. They are meant for each other. Oh well, that's a bit off topic. I loved seeing Kawalsky again; he's such a great character. Overall, great episode, one of my favorites, and just an awesome story.
  • I thought it was good.I liked the idea of an alternate reality-it really added a special touch on to the plot of the episode.I also liked the idea of the mirror that they used-it was really very cool to see how they used it.I liked the very end.Awesome

As I was saying about the kiss... it was so cute even though they were both from alternate realities, but they still managed to pull it off. The scene in the bedroom was cute too because for sure I thought he was going to kiss her right there.I also liked how the producers revealed to us that in the other Sam's reality her and Jack were married and how he said "Why did you marry such a loser." She replied to that comment saying "You're not a loser." It was so cool how they just touched the mirror and they went back to there reality.
  • I thought it was good.I liked the idea of an alternate reality-it really added a special touch on to the plot of the episode.I also liked the idea of the mirror that they used-it was really very cool to see how they used it.I liked the kiss.

• Great idea but could have done without the relantionship crap

This was an episode that I have mixed fellings about. I was glad they did another quantum mirror episode and that they brought back Kalawsky. On the other hand I wish they had made this reality a little more different then the one Daniel visited. They shouldn't have had Jack and Sam together again. The whole tremors thing was terrible and the effect was ridiculous. I was glad they decided to help and it turned into a good adventure. Seeing Apophis torture Hammond was great. The arrival of the Asgard was great and I loved Jack's line. Overall a good episode that would have been better if they left out the relationship.
  • Tell me what other movie or book or anithing else opened your mind more than Stargate, and in particular episodes like this one!

When the episode starts, you ask yourself: "What? The same mirror-thing again?" or "Did the actor playing Kowalsky begged the writers to have just another tiny with this series?". But, it is self-explanatory in the next sequences, when doctor Carter talks about her reality and how they managed to figure out the mirror. A lot of questions arise when doctor Carter and Major Kowalsky are accepted to stay in this reality. But were it not for Sam2's shocks it would have become annoying. Needless to say it captivatesus when the team decides to help. It seems logical to ask for the asistance of the Asgard, but I think that the decision should have been a bit more gradual. The comedy part is that you feel more ignorant than Jack with every dialogue the 2 Sams have. The classifcation that I gave for this episode is a summary of all the above.
  • The 50th Episode of Stargate SG1

What a great episode this was... (the one that had two Carters). It was a fun episode at first, but the story became more complex as the episode went on. Not only is the double Carter stuck in our reality, the fact that there are two Carters in one reality means that the 'other' Carter cannot stay on Earth. For the 50th episode i was supprised to see how great this show has become. (Who would have thought that 160+ more episodes were going to be made). I really enjoyed this episode. Naot only did the other reality Carter kiss Jack but we also found out that Jack and Sam were married in the other reality. I thought overall this was a great episode probably the best so far this season.
  • Does anyone else wounder how come in other realities (where carter is not part of the air force)that Jack and Carter get together? Even if its against regulations. Doesn't Amanda Tapping looks 10 times extra stunning with long hair.

Not got enough time to review at the moment will edit soon as I get enough time.

• An interesting idea that's well executed, but it's also a bit too melodramatic at times for my taste. (Spoilers)

I must say first off that this is an episode I didn't have too fond a memory of before I watched it again recently. A few negative aspects really stuck out in my mind, so I wasn't looking forward to viewing it again for the purpose of writing this review. However, I realise now that the negative aspects are few and minor in relation to the episode as a whole, which made the episode more enjoyable and better than I thought.

First, I'll start with the positive points about this episode. It has a great premise and a few good story twists. O'Neill gets plenty of good lines ("What the hell does 'kree' mean?”) and there are also some great moments throughout, my favourites including Teal'c meeting his alternate self, and the arrival of the Asgard. I also particularly like the little in-joke with the goatees on both the alternate Teal'c and Apophis.

However, the episode does have a few flaws that unfortunately I can't overlook. The first (and in my opinion major) one is the subplot involving the turmoil Alternate-Sam feels with O'Neill. To me this just seems too melodramatic, almost like a soap opera, and the scene with O'Neill in Sam's room comforting her just seems a little forced to me. However, this is almost made up for at the very end of the episode when O'Neill leaves through the mirror, and it does get the emotional impact it was looking for, although it seems a little forced.

Another problem I have with the episode is the entropic cascading thingy with alternate Carter's face warping and such. For me this just seems a little over the top and silly (hence my classification for the episode) and so makes the episode a bit less enjoyable for me.

So, in summary this is a pretty good episode of SG-1 despite it's flaws, but is not one I'd fancy watching again any time soon.
  • Is one the best episodes this season. Carter long hair, is amazing, but the best is the reaction the Jack, when he see her. Ilove this episode coz is perfect, maybe the one thing that I don´t like is the kiss, and just coz Carter see. This sad, but

Este episódio é td de bom, a forma como Jack e Carter ficam juntos (a Dr. Carter) é muito interessante, e no final das contas eles tem que admitir que não importa a realidade os dois se amam, e nada pode mudar isso.
    é interessante o modo que ele reage qdo vê a foto dos dois casados, acho que ele deveria ter feito uma cópia pra ele, assim sempre poderia lembrar desse momento.
    A forma como o episódio é desenvolvido, faz com que prendamos a respiração em diversos momentos, pincipalmente qdo a Dr. Samantha diz que sabe q o O´Neill não é bom com palavras. E ela usando a famosa frase dele, isso é td perfeito, e muito bonito.