Stargate SG-1

Prototype

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 16, 2005 on Syfy

• Wasnt quite a filler

This was a good episode but it defintly wasnt one of the best. One thing that I liked about it was that it used an old character instead of a new one to allow them to learn more about ascension and possible ways to stop the priors. Another thing that I liked about the episode was that it put the SGC in a situation where they had to deal with an outside force that the didnt like. As much as I usally dont like the outside force that is trying to control them it usally makes things intresting. So all in all I will have to say that it was good way to bring about new information but it defintly wasnt a classic.
  • New writing blood breathes new life into a revisited storyline.

While I admit that I was among the first to breathe a sigh of relief when the entire Anubis arch ended, I was glad to see that the ramifications of his presence have not been forgotten by the writers.

This episode is a very clever tale, beautifully written by Stargate newcomer Alan McCullough, and wonderfully created on screen by the ever-talented Peter DeLuise.
    In my opinion this has been one of the best team episodes of late, which gave the entire cast an opportunity to shine. Each had their own perfect tailor made niche in which to play and the performances reflected this oft forgotten point. Not once did we see characters struggling to fit roles unfamiliar to them, as we sadly saw last season.

The storyline was strong from start to finish, not once did I find my attention waning, nor my interest in, what is essentially a one-show character, diminish throughout the entire episode. The cinematography was stunning, the scene close to the end of the episode with Mitchell and Jackson in particular.
    And the performances were flawless.

Special mentions for Alan McCullough for his captivating script, and for writing a slightly darker side to Jackson that, this viewer at least believes, has been long overlooked. Michael Shanks for his portrayal of said darker side and to Neil Jackson for his outstanding performance of a difficult character to render.

A must see episode that also has the benefit of being able of existing as a standalone.
  • This is the kind of episode that stops SG1 being a "top class, unmissable" show and unfortunately, they are all too frequent.

Dont get me wrong, this is one of my favourite shows on television but, this episode is the kind that bores me to tears. Allow me to summarize:

In the grand scheme of things - Nothing happened. A 'seemingly' unstoppable force was mistakingly prodded into aggressive tendancies (as usual) but, this WORLD threatening force was magically stopped and halted for good, within 44 minutes by the usual suspects. A regurgatation of old and tired story lines from days of yore - pray they dont go back there yet again. The Ori storyline is doing fine on its own.

All was looking well this season without Jack (yeah!) and with the wonderful Vala but, alas, we're back to the same old, same old.

Bring back Vala - all is forgiven.
  • A solid episode overshadowed by the "summer finale" that was paired with it

Since this “summer finale” was really just two episodes aired back to back, I thought I’d tackle each hour separately. In fact, I didn’t watch the second hour yet, just to maintain some degree of objectivity in terms of this hour.

I was never particularly taken with Anubis as a villain, largely because he was very impersonal opponent. Apophis was right there, flaws and all, and Ba’al has a distinct personality that is enjoyable to watch. Anubis was more of a concept than a presence, and that detracted from his power as a force of despairing evil. Note how the Ori are all the more disturbing because of the Priors and their personal involvement in the subjugation of worlds.

This episode revisited Anubis as a concept and gave him a personal focus, and for that, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. This was actually an interesting commentary and expansion on the concepts of “ascension”, which is something that the series needs to address. The treatment of “ascension” has been far too vague and indistinct over the past several seasons, but now that the Ori are around, that concept needs definition.

What this proto-Anubis represents is not unlike a proto-Ori, as the characters openly mention. (Indeed, much of the episode is spent considering how such a being presents the perfect lab rat, objectively speaking.) In this particular instance, this proto-Anubis also had the “benefit” of the genetic memory of a Goa’uld.

Khalek is a particularly good adversary because he gets to build on the relationship between Daniel and Anubis with relatively little difficulty, and since he gets to speak with Daniel a bit more freely (without the cowl), it gets wonderfully tense. We also get to see Daniel in his archetypical role as scholar of all things Ancient, which reminds the audience of where his strengths lie.

A lot of time is spent with the SGC personnel believing they are in control, when Khalek is really toying with them, waiting for the moment when he can determine the response most aligned with his self-interest. It’s a good thing that Daniel and the others took so long to identify the source of his limitations, because if it had been a bit earlier in the story, Khalek would have caught them completely off guard. (As it is, I think that little trick at the end was a little suspicious.)

One interesting aspect of the episode is the prominence of the International Committee, in terms of their leverage and clout. Woolsey is a particularly annoying bureaucrat, and he gets a good look at why the word “threat” has a different scale in the SGC. The whole question of funding the SGC and thereby controlling its activities finally comes back into play here, and quite a few casualties can be laid at the feet of such interlopers.

In many scenes, this felt like the old “SG-1”, especially since Mitchell is mostly in the background, making a few snide comments and playing the heavy when necessary. Much of the episode is spent with the characters in their typical roles. Even Dr. Lam plays a capable enough stand-in for Fraser this time around. While this isn’t the most exciting or stirring episode of the season, it does add a few connections between the old and new aspects of the mythology, and in this case, that’s a good thing.
  • The story has been done before. The jokes have been done before. SG1 never learns... but Neil Jackson is cute, damnit!

Seriously! Whenever Khalek was on screen I was going
    \"Hello, salty goodness!\"

Alright, so this whole rescuing people from laboratories has been done before with nasty consequences, but in their defence they haven\'t rescued anybody dangerous since Mitchell came aboard, and it\'s not fair that he doesn\'t get to do it, you know? It\'s practically a rite of passage to endanger the lives of everybody on the planet.
    And anyway, it gave us a chance to be exposed to the cuteness of Neil Jackson, which upon reading his imdb page I have found out that he is a former boxing champion. Well I\'ll be a monkey\'s aunt.
    A boxer\'s body, an english accent, a decent actor. Crush city, here I come. :)
  • Son of Anubis

Who have that something like that will come out? It first looks all about Ori, then it becomes all about finding a way in and then it becomes finding a not so secret lab where some people just have to push wrong buttons what end up with melting one of the pods - they find a man there and take him back. With every pasting second it becomes more and more clear how dangerous he is and that first hope that this might be the ancient is wiped away - the truth is horrifying - he is with superpower abilities and with Anubis DNA.. searching a way to ascend. The team need all their power and working together to overcome it.

We got some stylish moments, some great action..
  • Pretty good special effects and interesting storyline.

The team accidentally gets stuck with a bit of a problem on its hands because somebody, affectionately dubbed "New Guy" pushes the wrong button on a mission.

What ensued was kind of a Pandora's Box "breach" situation.

The special effects toward the end of this episode were really good. The dilemmas posed to the team were really good too. The bad guy was also pretty good - well, as a bad guy.

They were presented a problem with a few choices, none of them good ones.

The ending was kind of weird though. I am not sure what happened really should have worked. It did not quite make sense. Perhaps I missed something.
  • Meet an old enemy...Sort of...

This episode revisited the Anubis storyline although he is dead he was able to clone himself. SG1 finds his clone but like Anubis he is just plain Evil. We get to see Richard Woolsey again played by Robert Picardo. His performence was just great. He thinks that the key to beating the priors is by figuring out how to beat khalek. We also see a different side of Daniel because he actually comes up with the idea of how to beat khalek he probaly never would have come up with something like that before he was acended. This was a good episode and hopefully there isn't anymore Anubis clones running around. later...
  • "Son of Anubis"?

This is the kinda of episode i want to see every time i starts watching one. Of course it's impossible since there's both better episodes and worse, but this is the kind that combined both the exploration, the stargate activity plus, as a bonus, the surprise. In short, Anubis made a "baby" mini him, an artificially humanoid in which he put all of his knowledge and memories and those cool ascended powers, so naturally this Son of Anubis starts making a fuss to returning to the place they originally found him, some lab of Anubis, but his plans are blown away by 2 unexpected factors. Sam and Daniel (more or less) So it's got exploring, effects (cool ones too), and some nice scenes especially the last one Mitchell and Daniel shoot the sucker down.
  • A fairly disposable episode.

Spoilers...

An altogether uninspiring episode it must be said. It adds a little to the ongoing story arc, but not so much that you couldn't happily skip this one. That everything will go wrong is never in any doubt and as the episode drags on, no real surprises occur. The British actor is trying so hard to be 'evil' that he come across as a low-rent Hannibal, I kept on expecting him to ask for some nice Chianti.

It has to be said that the shot of Jackson and Cameron pumping him full of lead is pretty bad assed - it's just about the only thing that makes watching this episode worthwhile.
  • An hybrid too far...

How many secret labs have we discovered over the past nine years? it seems to me like we are finding one every 5 episodes. No kiding! While we could expect that Anubis rise to power has certainly left some interesting remnants to dig in her and there, this looks like a not so cleverly mean to introduce an explanation to the Priar's powers.

It seems, as far as i understood the plot of "prototype" that a parralele i made between this hybrid clone of Anubis and the Priars on several levels:
    - they both share a kind of collective consciousness of experiences gathered by their predecessors (with a limit of its predecessor for Khalek, while the priars seems to share a collective memory of events like they were tuned with each other.
    - they both are demonstrating a similar range of powers. This could imply that the priars are beings close to ascension. Then they should have reached the highest level of human development,this explaining the tremendous powers they're exhibiting.

Thanks to the writer this Khalek will not become a regular nemesis of SG1, that would have been an hybrid too far...
  • I'm in two minds...

Ok, now the whole 'son of Anubis' thing is just a bit... well, silly in my opinion, but still, it made for a reasonable episode.

Once you get past all the cliches, it's a reasonably exciting episode, more like the 'classic Stargate' than most of the season so far.

But the ending was a bit of a letdown in my opinion, it seemed like they wrote in the bit with the 'gate malfunction' in the beginning, just to have an easy way to kill him in the end. Personally, I thought it was a bit of a cop-out and left me feeling a bit cheated.
    This could have been a truly great episode, but managed to miss the mark.
  • We finally got to see how the two lt. Colonels in one team is supposed to work.

We finally got to see how the two lt. Colonels in one team is supposed to work. And though the constant switching between first and last names is a tad confusing, it does works.

In the beginning it was a light episode, I especially liked Daniel’s “new guy” comment. But I was really surprised when he proposed they kill the ‘clone’, that’s really unlike Daniel. I think it had something to do with the fact that Anubis killed all the Abadoniërs. I also hadn’t expected that Daniel would be right.

For seven years we’ve heard the NID wants this and the NID wants that. Now after Kindsey, Maybourne and Simmons it has a new face; Woolsey. After the episodes ‘Heroes’ and ‘Inauguration’ I thought he had converted to the good side; apparently I was wrong.

Caleb was really cool and very convincing, especially when the ‘new’ Anubis first surfaced. And he had a couple of awesome powers. Telekinesis, the ability to read someone’s mind and the fact that he can influence matter is very dangerous too. Daniel and Cameron were a very cool team to kill Caleb. They looked cool, standing side by side like that.