Stargate SG-1

Scorched Earth

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 25, 2000 on Syfy

• This particular episode was just cool. Not action packed, or character drive, it was cool.

I enjoyed this episode mostly because of the alien ship. It's very interesting when they meet advanced races, since they don't very often. It's very unfortunate that this species lived in a completely different environment, preventing SG-1 from returning to visit after the terraforming was complete. That would have been amazing, from the projection that was shown, they were a very different looking species. I also loved the whole Noah's Ark thing, although it has been done before, it was still cool. And as usual, Daniel was everyone's conscious in this episode. But at least he is usually right and accomplishes something, especially in this episode. He saved Lotan and all the people of the planet. Not only saved them, but had a part in finding their home Planet. It was such a happily ever after episode.
  • Excellent political allegory reminiscent of the original Star Trek

Excellent political allegory reminiscent of the original Star Trek

Political allegory with implications about European colonialism and the plight of Native Americans and other Aboriginal peoples, as well as the establishment of Israel and the plight of the Palestinians.

Fortunately with vastly more propitious results.
  • Why is Oneil willing to kill Daniel?

6.1
    This episode is a mish mash of good and bad. It really annoyed me after everything that SG 1 have been through as a team and all the times they have saved each other, Jack was so willing to blow up the ship when Daniel was on it. This and the fact that they dont talk about it afterwards, like they just assumed Daniel had made a choice to die.
    Also the race of people they wanted to save annoyed me, the happy ending was just too predicatable, as if the computer program would not have considered the other option in the first place!!! And then he had the time to stop changing the planet and take all the people home!!! There could not have been that many people on the planet if the ship could take them home all at once and therefore I thought screw em, just colonise the planet, theyll go blind anyway!!!
    Totally out of character for Jack to sacrifice one of his team.
    On the other hand, liked the whole way Daniel negotiated with the computer program, how Carter followed orders and the special effects. it could have beena lot better and some witty lines made it bearable.
  • SG-1 encounters a ship that appears bent on destroying their friends...

This is another one of those episodes where I just want to smack Daniel. I can appreciate how he wanted both the Enkarens and the "freeze-dried aliens" to go on, but I find myself siding with Jack through the episode. However, I did really like how the episode progressed once the ship created its avatar and they situation was remedied in the best possible way. My main problem with Daniel here is that sometimes I think he can be a little too philosophical and produce too little practical ideas. Fortunately this case turned out differently. Don't get me wrong I like Daniel, but sometimes I just want to pull him back down to earth, so to speak.
  • I agree with The Womp. A good Science Fiction Idea

And basically well done. The moral dilema of a displaced race looking to relocate vs the inhabitants of a world is a tough choice. Who do you root for? Both are looking to survive. The choice is complicated by the fact that the inhabitants of the planet were not native to the planet. For me, the whole idea of them being relocated blurs the moral question even more.
    But, as has been pointed out, there are problems with the development of the story and some other minor issues. First off, yes, the explosion of the bomb is AMAZINGLY lame. SG-1 was going to destroy that big a** ship with THAT? And I must admit that Daniel talking Lothan into stopping his distruction of the planet's biosphere seemed a little too much like Capt. Kirk convincing Nomad that it was wrong. But all in all, I liked the episode.
  • Another of those ethical dilemma episodes...

It was again, one of those moral episodes where the range of how much they could change and influence other planets is discussed. And I like little the way it was done - O'Neill felt on his side, that the most important thing for them to protect those people the brought.. And Daniel, he show the other side, remind that how they can make the decision that the planet is theirs, as their came later, the changing was started already.

Some great moments, great views and little avarage story, and nothing too original, as we have had that kind of episodes before, so...
  • I just find this to be a great science fiction story.

I must start off by saying that I didn't really have fond memories of this episode before I watched it again recently. Before changing my score for this episode to its current score of '8', I originally had it at '6.5'. I think before I found it a little boring, but now I see it as a very entertaining and interesting science fiction story.

I'll start off, as always, with the good points. Like I said, I just love this story. Not only is it an entertaining and interesting one, but also it's a chance to see our characters act a little differently and show some conflicts of interest. Jack and Daniel's relationship is put to the test in a very convincing and authentic way, which doesn't feel in any way forced.

There are also some great moments throughout. Any scene with Lotan is just brilliant, particularly when discussing the morals and implications of his actions with our heroes. I must emphasise how much I love the scene between Lotan and our heroes for the first time, and the one where Daniel finally convinces Lotan to stop. It truly is a great SG-1 moment.

Although there are some nice little moments of humour throughout, mainly derived from Jack (such as Jack questioning if they'll have ears), there isn't as much as in previous episodes. But this doesn't dampen the effect and enjoyment I got from this episode all that much. That, I think, just shows how great and under appreciated this episode is.

Then there are just a few of the little things about this episode I enjoyed. These include some quite spectacular visual effects (such as the destruction caused by the ship, and the representation of the alien species), and also the weird sensation in seeing Alessandro Juliani in here, knowing now that he is a member of the cast of the new "Battlestar Galactica".

There are, however, some faults with this episode. One that I always seem to think about and remember is the pretty unconvincing explosion caused by the Naqahdah generator. I know the ships meant to be 2 miles wide, and that we don't see most of it, but to me it still looks very silly and pathetic.

Another couple of faults are also minor ones that I've come to overlook. One is that this episode is a bit talky at times, particularly early on with Carter explaining her theories. But this is SG-1, and this sort of explanation time is required. Another fault is that the episode is a bit slow paced, but again this doesn't really bother me all that much.

It would be quite interesting to have seen the alternate ending to this episode, where Lotan destroys the ship himself. It certainly is a much darker ending, but I still like the ending the way it is. It may feel cheap, but I don't see it that way, and think it really works.

So, in summary, this is another episode that I feel is under appreciated by most fans. It has a great story and some truly great SG-1 moments, plus a chance for our heroes to get on some very shaky grounds.