Stargate SG-1

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 31, 1997 on Syfy

• What would have been a great episode is ruined by the ending.

The concept of Singularity is an interesting one, although some of the pseudo-science they use to back it up is toe-curlingly aweful. Plenty of character development for Captain Carter, and an interesting and slightly unusual threat to Stargate Command in the form of a small girl with ridiculous bomb inside her. The episode builds steadily to its climax, but then, in a move of utter cowardice, chickens out of what should have been the inevitable and powerful ending to the story. The image of Carter weeping uncontrollably is a very strong one, and if she had come out of the lift and then felt the rumble from below, then I think it would have been my favourite episode of the season.

As it was, the natural flow of the story was blocked, and was instead forced down the path of an incredibly disappointing saccharine happy ending. "On Earth, all children must have a dog." What kind of rubbish is this? It destroys the pathos that the viewers would have experienced if the ending had been done properly, turning a great episode into an at best average one. I hope the original script had the heart-wrenching proper ending that it deserved in it and that the network meddled, because there is no excuse for it otherwise.

Sir Thursday

Take an intelligent, beautiful young girl, daring SGC teams and a never-ending succession of off-world settings. Add more than a dash of danger and espionage on planet P8X-987 and you get episode "Singularity." The SGC teams are based deep underground in a mountain complex somewhere in Colorado Springs, Colorado, which now houses the pulse of Stargate operations-a gate room center on level twenty-eight and their cover. In this episode SG-1 tries to uncover why another team and most of the people with the exception of a little girl have been wiped out. Their assignment here combating injustices and the Goa'uld Nirrti in a plot to destroy Earth's Stargate!
  • A vicious virus has killed every person on planet PX8-987 ... except for a little girl.

After arriving on a planet to observe a black hole, the team finds that everyone has been killed ... except for a little girl.
    We later find that it was a biological attack by the Goa'uld Niirti on the planet and on earth.
    The little girl was given the anti-virus by Niirti, so she could survive the virus, but she was also given a bomb that would detonate as soon as it went through the Stargate a second time ... knowing full well that SG-1 would take her in, once they found her alone on this planet.
    Another episode with character development ... we see Sam's wonderfully caring personality, as she is willing to sacrifice her life, in order to keep company to a little girl on possibly the last seconds of her life.
    We also see Jack's, often hidden by him, knowledge and intellect.
  • Sam gets a personality! Teal'c learns about black holes!

A good episode that demonstrates that the Goa'uld are truly merciless. The episode also introduces the rather infamous Goa'uld Nirrti, who prefers to use humans as weapons rather than starships. The Sam moments in this episode were nice, but as in many other episodes Jack and Teal'c break it up with their back and forth at the observatory( or rather Jack's back and forth and Teal'c's eyebrow raising lol). It was nice to see an episode other than Hathor(which did nothing for Sam's character) that focuses on Sam, and makes a serious effort to humanize her. Sam was the last of the team to really get her personality sorted out, and I would consider this episode the start of her transition from a somewhat-feminist two dimensional character to a deeper, more comfortable and likable person.
  • This was a good episode to progress Carter's character but fell short of average.

SG-1 travels to a planet full of corpses including SG-7, only to find a little girl who is seemingly healthy. They take her back to the SGC only to find out she has a ticking time-bomb implanted in her by the Goa'uld to destroy the SGC. However, Carter grows more and more attached to her and when the only option left is to send the girl miles underground, Carter stays with her, not having the heart to leave her there. Emotional episode, great acting by Amanda Tapping as usual. But then ofcourse the miracle happens, sparing Carter and Cassandra. Good Carter episode, but I'm not really that interested with the "save the little girl" plot.
  • For me personally, it was such a special episode.

I first saw StarGate almost ten years ago when it came and I was so much younger then and there are very little I remember but this episode - it left me such a great and unforgettable memory that I could not forget it. I cried then, but to be honest - I was a little girl, who felt sympathized with Cassandra and Carter was my favorite character then. All those reasons why I liked it then, where childish but not of them are gone. I love this episode, even now, ten years later. The feelings this episode brings - the mother love for a kid Sam sees first time - the way it is so cruel what Goa'ulds did with her. But she gets her beautiful happy ending. The warmth of this episode, the sweet storyline. Lovely
  • Not my favorite..

I really don't like the Cassandra story line. She bugs me. But this episode does introduce us to the god/Goa'uld Nirrti. Nirrti is experimenting on humans to try to find the perfect host for the Goa'uld. When she thinks the humans are on to her she kills all the people of Cassie's planet except for her, and puts a naquada (sp?) bomb in her chest - too close to her heart to remove. The bomb is about to go off and they get Cassie far enough away from the Stargate so that the bomb doesn't go off. They save the girl and Dr. Frasier adopts her. Everything is good. My favorite part is Jack at the end saying "We have a rule here on Earth. Every kid has to have a dog."
  • I hated this episode...

The SG-1 team goes off-world only to find that a disease wiped out an entire population. The only survivor was a little girl that slowly grows attached to Captain Carter. In the end, they find out that the girl will blow up, but then she doesn't and goes on to live a normal life on earth. Honestly, this episode was crap. It was so boreing. All they did was talk and the girl was so annoying. I mean, she didn't even die at the end. Seriously, and then there was something about stars and some telescope...that part was pointless. Overall, the episode was terrible, in my opinion, and I will never watch it again.
  • carter development...

This episode was a carter episode and sg1 travels to a planet expevted to be greeted by sg7 but it turns out everyone on the planet was killed but this little girl named Cassandra. It was all due to this goa'uld named Nirti, we never see nirti in the episode but we will see her in a later season. It was good of Jack and Teal'c to stay behind although it would have been very boring sitting ther for 8 hours with nothing to do, they just barely escaped the goauld death gliders. It was pretty good of Dr. Fraser to adopt Cassandra, Sam probably should have done it but she wouldn't be able to see her very often. It was pretty sad when you thought cassandra was going to die. later...
  • One of the best Carter episodes in the early seasons and a great introduction to Cassandra.

This is one of my favorite episodes in the first season. Cassie is a very sweet little girl and it was touching how she was drawn to Carter. I liked how the SGC started a small research base on an off-world planet to study a Black Hole. This episode also helped show how evil the Goa’uld really are by using a little girl to do their dirty work. The performance by Amanda Tapping was fantastic. I loved Jack’s rule and would like to see it implemented. Overall an emotional and dramatic episode.
  • This was an excellant episode. It was also a good character development eppie for Sam. Awesome acting job.

Amanda Tapping did an excellant job acting in this episode. She showed a more softer, more motherly side to Sam that we don't get to see often. And the introduction of Cassie was perfectly done. This is the episode where we are introduced to Nirrti, the one who did tests on the people of Cassandra's planet, which they all died from except for her. Even her mother was killed, I was about ready to jump through the tv and strangle the 'woman' my self. And then we find out that Nirrti put a Naquadah bomb inside of Cassie and whenever she gets near the Stargate she becomes extremely sick and almost dies. Janet says its impossible to remove the bomb without setting it off, so SG-1 takes Cassie to an abandaned missle silo(at least I believe thats what it was) and Sam takes the lift down to the bottom to leave her there to blow up. I know sad, but wait, Sam gets back in the lift but can't go through with it and goes back into be with Cassie, and surprise, surprise, she doesn't blow up. Cassie ends up becoming Janet's adopted daughter, and Jack gets her a dog. All in all, it was an awesome episode, and showed just how awesome Amanda is at acting. A definate must-see episode.
  • A little girl is the sole survivor from a virus outbreak that leaves hundreds dead. SG1 discovers that the girl contains an explosive secret that could leave millions more dead.

This episode was great. Although it didn't contain much action or adventure, it did have a fantastic story and some terrific acting from Amanda Tapping (Sam).

Sam Carter forms an emotional, motherly bond with a little girl (Cassandra) who is the sole survivor of a virus that has claimed the lives of over 1400 people on her home planet. After taking her back to Earth, the girl is examined and declared immune from the virus. However, Cassandra is far from healthy, for she has a dangerous deposit within her that could explode - on an atomic scale - when deteriorated. After learning that removing the object is not an option, SGC is left with no other choice than to isolate the girl in an abandoned bunker until the object within her detonates. Carter herself must make the journey with the girl, deep into the ground. However, after locking the girl inside the lead protected room, Carter is conflicted and consumed with emotion, and returns to wait with the Casandra, fulfilling an earlier promise to never leave her alone. The minutes pass away until there are only seconds left before the timer runs to 0:00:00. The timer rings, and everyone prepares themselves for what is about to happen. Nothing. There is no tremor or bang. The girl did not explode!

This was a great episode. The best feature about this show is that it really gets your heart pumping, and leaves you unable to blink in those final seconds as you wait to see the camera shake, or hear the bang.
  • An emotional episode that showed more of Carters feminine side.

This is when SG-1 first meet Cassandra. When they bring her back through the gate they soon come to realize that there is a bomb inside her that could destroy the Stargate.

Carter is very emotional attached to this girl and is afraid for her. Not only that, but Cassandra doesn't want Carter to leave her alone.

I thought this was a great episode to show Carter's emotional side. In previous and future episodes you don't get to see it that much.

In the end it is Frasier who ends up taking Cassandra in. It's supposed to be a temporary thing, but turns out later on to be more long term.

I thought it kind of odd that Frasier would take her in when, in this episode, you didn't see them bonding, not even a little.
  • Good character development for Sam. Overall, touching episode.

This was one of my favorite episodes in season 1, mainly because I am a sucker for the sentimental drama. I thought that the episode was really good for the character development of Sam. I thought that it allowed me as a viewer to relate a lot better with Sam. I thought that the plot was classic but was one that could be easily related to. Katie Stuart did an excellent job playing Casandra making it easy to relate to her character.

Overall, I thought that this was a great episode. I found myself glued to the tv for the entire episode. It was definately one of my season favorites.
  • Part character development for Carter, part development of character for the Goa'uld, and part emotional sci-fi story.

After reviewing this episode recently, I realised that it was much better than I remember. The key thing about the episode is that it has an emotionally involving story. It not only makes you feel sympathy for its characters, but it also gives you a little more insight into the Goa'uld.

Despite being yet another where the audience is reminded that Carter is a woman, it helps the story by showing her caring and nurturing side. Her scenes with Cassandra don't seem forced as they so could have been.

There are some great moments: Daniel in the briefing room explaining what the Goa'uld did; the scenes in the abandoned nuclear complex (which just HAPPENS to be right near Stargate Command!). But some scenes seem to have forced humour, such as the initial joke about a black hole and O'Neill's description of one.

Still, despite its flaws, a great episode from season 1, and one that I'd highly recommend showing to soon-to-be SG-1 fans.
  • A destructive setup of unknown proportions, a mother-child dilemma, and a Catholic Marian episode in a science-fiction show - you\\\'re gonna love this if you\\\'re as crazy as me.

Best episode so far. I love the Marian aspect. (Don\\\'t nail me on the dogmatics, but the) gigantic tech-setup is just what it should be like in a science-fiction show - a transport vehicle for an enormous human problem, and a solution, although you\\\'ll have to be Catholic to really enjoy the solution aspect, because this shows has once again tended to opt for a very pleasant ending feeling somewhat ex machina, but they\\\'ve done great for a science-fiction show.
  • Samantha becomes a substitute mother to a little girl from a planet where everyone else is dead.

"Singularity" is a fairly interesting episode, but compared to some of the others, it feels average. The story was interesting enough to not be boring, but it's not one of my favorite episodes. The story is that Samantha Carter becomes the unofficial mother to a girl from a world where she is the only survivor. We don't really see much of anyone else and Sam has to carry the episode on her shoulders in the story and at points it drags. The x-ray scene when they discover a bomb in the girls chest is one of the highlights. Nothing special happens, it feels too much like a filler episode.
  • A great episode

One of the best episodes of season 1, we really see some character development and we also see to what extreme the goauld would go to destroy earth. i loved the part when Tealc realizes Jack actually knows something about the stars since he is always ating so dumb about the whole tecno thing. the way the girl interprets the character of Cassy is incredible, and the way Sam and Cassy bond together was really touching. I would say the best part of the episode is when Sam hits the elevator and goes back down with Cassy rather than going up. In general a great episode worth watching many times.