Stargate SG-1

Space Race

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 01, 2003 on Syfy

• There's no other way to say it; this was dull mess.

I'm usually rather forgiving of fun, stand alone episodes, but Space Race just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. First off, it seemed like odd that Carter would allow herself to participate in such a violent sport, she's raised her voice about less sketchy stuff before, and the prospect of new technology and keeping a vow are very weak excuses. Coupled with a tacked on b-plot about corporate corruption and racial intolerance leading to race sabotage and blunt lesson in sporting ethics, things ended up very hammer home without any significant character growth or clear message. I'm all for a story that lets you take a look at yourself as an individual and as a human being, but when you're not really trying to say and thing, it's just time wasting and this show has dome far better.
    There also never seemed to be much urgency in the race which is a huge problem for me in an episode about a RACE!
    Along with the extremely annoying fake advertising from the commentators, this show episode failed to be fun or thought provoking.