Stargate SG-1

Spirits

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 23, 1998 on Syfy

7.9
  • Too bad real American Indians did not fare nearly so well

Too bad real American Indians did not fare nearly so well.

As one historian noted, United States government treatment of American Indians in furtherance of "Manifest Destiny" amounted to genocide. Judging by the number of people killed, the Native American Genocide was even worse than the Nazi Holocaust.
  • SILLY!

In episode #35 SG-1 finds a planet inhabited by Native American Indians, protected by spirits who are actually advanced alien shapeshifters. "This land is ours; ours by right of possession; ours as a heritage, given to us as a sacred legacy. It is the spot where our fathers lie; beneath those trees our mothers sang our lullaby, and you would tear it from us and leave us wanderers at the mercy of fate. We will die on the land of our fathers, and our bleaching skeletons shall be a witness to nations yet unborn." The point is I'm paraphrasing some of the dialogue in this episode to tell you that this episode has an important theme that has plagued Canadian and American society since the beginning of time. What is right and what is wrong. Also wrong with this episode is General George Hammond's uncharacteristic behaviour. I think the actor who plays Maybourne was unavailable to play his reappearing role when this was shot because it seems Hammond was given all his lines. Or maybe he's the evil Hammond twin?
  • A really silly episode in almost every respect, but somehow still manages to be entertaining.

Before recently re-watching this episode my memories of it weren't positive. I remember it as being really silly, boring, and my original classification was going to be "Painful to watch". However, after watching it again I found it a little better than I remember, but only a little.

First off, yes, the episode is still really silly (could be summed up as the planet of the Native Americans and gill-faces). But, for some reason, I found the episode quite funny. Some may see the gill-faced aliens as being rather silly and annoying, along with their silver, shiny clothing. But someone like myself could see that as funny in a way, sort of a throwback to the old days of the original Star Trek, with the very human-like aliens and silly costumes, so the episode has a sort of camp quality to it. But there are other scenes throughout that are silly and yet funny. A couple of standouts are when the soldiers are running down a corridor, see a wolf, look confused, and then get zapped away whilst the wolf just looks on; and when Hammond is standing next to the wolf, says "It's all right, airmen, she's with me", and then zaps them away.

Another aspect I liked was the character of Tonane, who just seems to shrug his way through all the rather weird going-ons throughout. I mean, sure, he's a Native American with a sort of laid-back personality and the ability to speak English, but this is television! The Spirits also treat the episode seriously, and give great, entertaining performances (especially Alex Zahara), adding to the camp value of the episode.

Although I personally found this to be a guilty pleasure in terms of its tongue-in-cheeked-ness, I wouldn't recommend it to a soon-to-be SG-1 fan, and I think most SG-1 fans would back me up on this claim. Although, it's probably in the slightest sense necessary to watch (or at least be told about) this episode for the very brief reference to it in "Show and Tell".
  • Bad just bad

Another weak season 2 episode that I have come to a bore when I do a marathon. The highlight of this episode is the introduction of Trinium. This metal would come into play later in the series as it is a key component in the construction of Earth ships and other technology. As for the plot, it was pretty boring and not very interesting. One of the things I did like was the brilliant score by Joel Goldsmith who always does a fantastic job. The spirits were a weird race that looked pretty ridiculous but I guess they had good intentions.
  • Quite boring...

5.6
    This episode did not impressed me at all. First it looked not so bad, but they way the storyline was developed and the things what was going on back at Earth - they were not too good.

The idea itself was great but the way it was worked out, not the best. I loved the idea that Sam will get her first command, but as we soon see, it was short and soon O'Neill was back at the middle, getting all the attention.

The alarm on base - everyone running around and getting disappeared. I do not know - it looked quite silly if thinking they should be military.
  • One word...meh

This was the bottom of the barrel for season two in my humble opinion. We can't just meet supplanted Native Americans on another planet, they have to be protected by goofy aliens who can make people disappear. On the bright side I thought Tonane was an excellent and highly enjoyable character. Personally I think the shape shifters ruined this episode, they were over the top and completely unfair with their response to our mining operation. "Yeah, you were planning to mine a few rocks behind the back of Tonane so we're going to vaporize this base and all 2300 personnel." Not exactly what they said, but you get the point. Obviously, it would have been wrong to mine behind their backs, but the response the "Spirits" would have done was completely disproportionate.
  • This episode was the one were O'Neill was hit with a spear and Carter lead SG-1 to a planet full of trinium and spirits.There was also native peaple who warned them of stealing the trinium.

In the begining of this episode Jack O'Neill gets hit with a spear leaving Captain Samantha Carter in charge of SG-1. Sg-1 is ordered by General Hammond to go to the planet that sent the spear thourgh the stargate to investigate what aliens were there and why they threw a spear thourgh the stargate. And mainly to figure out why SG-11 didn't return and rescue SG-11 if needed.
    This episode was the first to really show Captain Carter's ability to lead. The show itself was average for a stargate show, which means it still was great but there were better episodes. And worse ones too.
    This episode was nessisary for the develement of the series, if nothing else.