Stargate SG-1

Spirits

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 23, 1998 on Syfy

7.9
  • A really silly episode in almost every respect, but somehow still manages to be entertaining.

Before recently re-watching this episode my memories of it weren't positive. I remember it as being really silly, boring, and my original classification was going to be "Painful to watch". However, after watching it again I found it a little better than I remember, but only a little.

First off, yes, the episode is still really silly (could be summed up as the planet of the Native Americans and gill-faces). But, for some reason, I found the episode quite funny. Some may see the gill-faced aliens as being rather silly and annoying, along with their silver, shiny clothing. But someone like myself could see that as funny in a way, sort of a throwback to the old days of the original Star Trek, with the very human-like aliens and silly costumes, so the episode has a sort of camp quality to it. But there are other scenes throughout that are silly and yet funny. A couple of standouts are when the soldiers are running down a corridor, see a wolf, look confused, and then get zapped away whilst the wolf just looks on; and when Hammond is standing next to the wolf, says "It's all right, airmen, she's with me", and then zaps them away.

Another aspect I liked was the character of Tonane, who just seems to shrug his way through all the rather weird going-ons throughout. I mean, sure, he's a Native American with a sort of laid-back personality and the ability to speak English, but this is television! The Spirits also treat the episode seriously, and give great, entertaining performances (especially Alex Zahara), adding to the camp value of the episode.

Although I personally found this to be a guilty pleasure in terms of its tongue-in-cheeked-ness, I wouldn't recommend it to a soon-to-be SG-1 fan, and I think most SG-1 fans would back me up on this claim. Although, it's probably in the slightest sense necessary to watch (or at least be told about) this episode for the very brief reference to it in "Show and Tell".