Stargate SG-1

Stargate SG-1: Continuum

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 29, 2008 on Syfy

• One of the best Stargate SG-1 stories. Ever.

I will start by saying this. Stargate: Continuum does tread on very familiar ground. The movie borrows elements from episodes like "There But for the Grace of God", "2010", "Lost City", and "Moebius". And yet, even though the story is not the most original or unique, it is somehow one of (if not the) greatest Stargate stories of all time.

Keep in mind, this review does have spoilers, but I'll try to avoid any major ones. The movie begins with an amazing single shot that travels through most of the SGC compound. It is very "Children of Men" as it starts by going through the gate, up to the control room, over to the elevator (where we see Major Davis!), then to SG-1 who returns to the control room. It's a great intro and shot with good music to boot.

I'll do my standard review now by going through the individual parts. This movie has a lot of weight and gravitas to it. There is a lot of death and destruction throughout the movie, both with unknown faces and with very familiar faces. I don't want to say who dies, and even though some of these people have died before, there's something very different about the way it's handled here. After the death of one major character and getting stuck in the Arctic with a badly frostbitten foot, Daniel sums it up best, saying, "Oh, ****." This really helps the tone of the movie, as does the tagline. "History may never repeat itself again." Even though SG-1 has faced similar threats, this feels different from the average "Save the Galaxy" tour.

The acting in the movie is quite good. Richard Dean Anderson is definitely back as Jack O'Neill, even though he does not have a major role in the film. Ben Browder finally (after three years) comes into his own as Cameron Mitchell, and it can now be said that he serves as a suitable successor to O'Neill. Amanda Tapping is great with her character moments, as Sam has to deal with being a famous dead person in the alternate timeline. There are also great character moments for Michael Shanks in the movie, especially in a scene where he makes a phone call to himself. Christopher Judge and Claudia Black are not as big of a presence in the movie, but both of them are still excellent. Cliff Simon is also great as Ba'al, and it's also great fun to see General Hammond and President Hayes again.

The special effects are, on the whole, quite good for a direct-to-DVD movie. The scenes on the Tok'ra planet, the shots of Ba'al's massive fleet, the barrage on Earth, and the time machine scenes all look absolutely amazing. The only shots of the movie that kinda suck are the 1939 sequences and the boat sinking in the Arctic. These effects do not look very good. But they're also redeemed by the epic shots of Carter and Mitchell trudging through the Arctic.

The music of the movie also greatly assists the creation of the mood of the movie. The orchestrated music is suitably epic in nature and really helps give the movie even more weight. It's also not quite as over the top as Ark of Truth's soundtrack, which got a little heavy-handed and overdramatic. Continuum's soundtrack is certainly grand in nature, but it isn't overdone.

Overall, this movie is an absolute blast to watch for seasoned SG-1 fans. It feels very familiar, but it's amazingly done. It is great fun to see everyone in the movie, and the movie itself is excellent. It's also a lot heavier than the typical Stargate story, as the threat in Continuum feels real and tangible. It doesn't just feel like something that they can snap their fingers and get out of. Maybe it's Daniel getting his leg cut off. Maybe it's seeing Washington, D.C. bombarded from orbit. But there's something majorly different about this. And it works. It truly works. 10/10.
  • Holy...

This is what we have been waiting for folks. I don't even know where to begin with this review. I was out the first day this was released on DVD and bought it. I have been waiting for this movie ever since they announced it. Time travel is one of my favorite things in science fiction. It is hard to do but the guys at stargate always seem to pull it off really well. I loved seeing a bunch of old characters in the movie like Jack O'Neill. Richard Dean Anderson can still pull off that roll. You gotta love the one liners. The plot to the episode was very cool, I know it was kinda like moebius but it was still very different. I would have liked to see RDA in the movie a little more but the screen time he had was alright with me. This was a classic stargate adventure they get into trouble and get themselves out of it. Although they didn't really remember it. Lots of action, adventure, and humor. I can definitely see a third movie in the future. I'm going to close this review b saying that Don S. Davis had a very good performance as eneral Hammond and he will be missed in the stargate universe.
  • Welcome home, old friends. We've missed you. It's hard to do a review without spoilers, so be warned.

Time travel stories are very difficult – the audience already knows that nothing that happens in the film is lasting – no deaths, no wounds, no losses are permanent. For this reason, the writers and producers have their work cut out for them to tell a story that draws in the audience anyway, one that the audience will care about and become totally involved in even though, in the back of their minds, they know it will all come full circle at the end. Suspension of disbelief must be earned by a completely compelling plot and moving scenes for the characters. And, above everything else, the movie-makers must take themselves seriously enough that the audience will take the story seriously, too.

While I've only watched Continuum once, and I usually have to hold back any negativity until I've watched it a few times because I have such huge expectations, I think I have it pegged. On the positive side, it was beautiful, well acted, beautifully filmed, lots of wow f/x moments and RDA! There were no Repli-Terminators, either, so that's a step in the right direction, too! The first scene was just as great as I expected it to be - Martin Wood is a terrific director - and the walk-through of the SGC was well done, and seemed as if it was just another day at the SGC. Sgt. Siler, Maj. Davis, Sgt. Harriman – it was nice to see their faces again. And, later, seeing the late Don S. Davis brought tears to my eyes.

However, it seems to me that Brad Wright and Robert Cooper have got to realize that they no longer have to PROVE that they can make features. The "try-too-hard" aspect of both Stargate films manages to be their undoing each time. A great movie starts and ends with a great script - just as a great speech must be well-written before it can be well-performed. We know the actors are fantastic, we trust the f/x and stunt people, the art director, set decorators, etc - we have all the faith in the world in Martin Wood as director, too. But without that great script, all of that adds up to a good movie, but not a movie that resonates, not a movie that gives the audience the thrill it is looking for. No amount of location shooting, frozen sets, or big honking time machines is going to have the audience in tears or in stitches. Isn't that the whole point of making a movie - to get the audience involved emotionally?

Vala's initial comments could have set the emotional tone for this movie, but didn't. Granted, she was holding Dr. Lee's big gun at the time, which told us there would be some funny character moments, too, but that was pretty much the extent of any emotional involvement with the audience. Once we got to the Tok'ra home world, heard the monks chanting a la Monty Python, and, as sad as I am to say it, the first of Jack's inane comments, I was afraid we were in for a full-on comedy. Cliff Simon hit the right notes as Ba'al, was distinctly foreboding, but the constant one-liners from Jack ruined any suspenseful build up. Jack's immediate death didn't shock, appall, or sadden me – I was just happy that it shut him up. And I had looked forward to seeing RDA in this film for months.

Fantastic scenes on the frozen ship – SG-1 at its best is the team working together to solve a problem. I missed Teal'c, but there were good dynamics here. Jeopardy, a time frame, good banter, all nicely done – the only thing that didn't work was their (non) reaction to Jack's death. Sam was quiet for a moment, yes, but were they really as relieved as I was to stop the witticisms that they had no emotional involvement about it at all? His best friend Daniel had no reaction whatsoever.

The escape from the ship was all too quick. I actually asked myself what the heck was going on when Mitchell slid down the ice. The background was so dark I couldn't tell there was actually a ship back there at all.

Let's go on to one of the major downfalls of this movie: how they handled Daniel's leg amputation. The three team members had a moment when they all realized that Daniel was in deep doo-doo, but they played it off too easily. Whatever made the producers believe that it would be more interesting and exciting for the audience to watch Sam and Cam trudge across the frozen tundra talking than to have a thrilling rescue of Daniel in the nick of time? What a waste of time! Yes, it was pretty; yes, it is cool that they got to shoot in the arctic – but if it doesn't serve the story well, why is so much time wasted on it? Emergence of the submarine was very nifty – but so what? What did it have to do with the story? Nothing. Daniel doped up was a cute scene, especially with Jack's involvement, but when they treat a disfiguring and crippling injury to one of the team like it was a hangnail removal, they have lost the audience.

We wanted to be sad about Daniel's injury, and we wanted the team to have at least one moment of horror at what was going on. But, what the heck, we'll just carry on as if nothing has happened! A little ride in a wheelchair and it's back to business as usual, right? Daniel has apparently become so well-balanced that removal of a limb is just a hop in the park.

Split screens of the team being interrogated were some of the best scenes in the movie. I loved the arrival of Gen. Landry, and his interview with the team in the hangar. Except for the complete lack of any team interaction, it was pretty good.

And now we come to a part of the movie that anyone who's seen time travel eps before was so happy to see – how the people actually manage to live with their knowledge that the life they had may never be attainable again. How does our intrepid team of space explorers handle it? Well, Sam goes grocery shopping, Cam fixes a car, and Daniel goes to a book store. Hey, at least the scene in the book store was totally great! Nicely done! But why did we absolutely need to see Sam checking out the Fruteeos? Shout out to Window of Opportunity? Enough! Serve the story of the movie or move along! Where is the depression she feels because she can't work in her field, or interact with her teammates? Is her father alive? Cameron's trip to the old homestead was very nice, and Daniel's call to himself was genius, but where was Sam's equivalent scene?

Taking a look at the other side of the story, presumably Ba'al becomes the great system lord because of his knowledge of the future. Big problem with that: once he starts changing things, he should no longer be able to figure out what is going to happen next. Maybe he's continually using his time machine to keep going back and changing things as they occur, but, if so, he's gone through many, many parallel timelines and is no longer still in the one Sam, Daniel, and Cameron came back to.

Yes, it was neat that the Air Force let the producers use F-15s. No, it was not neat to watch Sam, Cam, and Daniel from the neck up sitting in airplanes for fifteen minutes. Fly one way, refuel, turn around and fly another way, fly over the Atlantic, fire a few shots at gliders, get rescued by the Russians. That about sums it up. And yes, it was just about that exciting, too.

Seeing all the system lords again was anticlimactic, but the Ba'al scenes were generally very good. (Honestly, I didn't recognize Ra, not as imposing without his cool outfits and little kids around him.) And Ba'al's ultimate demise at the hand of Qetesh was excellent. Teal'c's role was very small, but at least it was heroic and very true to his character. Getting the cameras away from earth and onto Ba'al's mothership and this other world was a step in the right direction. At least there was finally some excitement!

The scene at Ba'al's time machine was also good. It worked. The team was together doing what they do best. But, again, the deaths were glossed over with no reaction. The end of 2010 was much more shocking, leaving the audience moved by the heroics of the heroes, the fact that they were willing to sacrifice their lives for the future of mankind. Yes, I jumped when Daniel was shot, but he fell out of sight so quickly (and so did Sam) that my mind didn't have time to process it.

I must say that I loved the ending. Everything after Cam enters the wormhole was fantastic, from his killing of Ba'al to the extraction ceremony, to the scene in the locker room with the guys. Very well done.

I love the Stargate franchise, and have spent many long hours watching and rewatching the movie, SG-1 and Atlantis episodes. The characters have depth and substance, the mythology is pervasive and expansive, and the stories are entertaining and moving. The real draw of this show was never the cool ships, hypnotic light shows or space battles – it was and always has been the thought of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. People who we grew to love and admire for their selfless acts of heroism and the personal costs that affected their lives. Kudos to producers for keeping the band together, and writing and producing two feature films. You've proven yourselves to the powers that be. Can the fans now have a real movie, please? One that is about storytelling more than snow covered landscapes and military vessels? One where the audience is moved and enthralled? I would pay good money to see that.
  • Every ten minutes of this installment had me saying out loud, "That was awesome."

Minus a handful of cringe-worthy moments, I wished that every episode of the show could have been 2 hours long instead of 46 minutes, if these are the kinds of stories they could create from the simple time-travel plot device they used multiple times before.

Most sci-fi tends to ignore human nature when doing things like traveling through time and sliding between realities. This was the first time I have ever seen a story portray what would most likely happen in the actuality that someone from another timeline appeared out of nowhere and treated it realistically. We take for granted after a decade of outrageous tales in scientific impossibilities happened all of the time, we just believe it and we're right there with SG-1 in their insistence that the Air Force let them correct the flaw with their own timeline. Alternate General Landry finally put them in their place the way no one has ever done before. It's just a shame that they wrote the lesson out of existence.

All of that aside, the acting was above bar, even for a big budget film. The direct-to-DVD status allowed the actors to act unrestrained, without self-imposed TV regulations, the dialogue was just a brilliant as ever, not only in the clever writing but the carefully crafted alternate timeline with the newly rewritten history and the way it not only showed us something new, but it also meshed perfectly with and even augmented established canon, ex: The 'Gate in the end is transported to the United States with a hole in the box that helds it, as well as the hull of the boat that carried it. It could explain everything from why Dr. Littlefield first activated and stepped through in 1945 to why experts like Captain Samantha Carter and Dr. Daniel Jackson were sought out and brought in, in the first place. Much like the two part Season 8 finale "Moebius", while the events of those episodes are ultimately nullified by the end of the episode, the story told along the way was one of best.

My only complaints were Michael Shanks overuse of profanity and attitude (he seems to have forgotten about his fake leg in the final 30 minutes) and the return of the "Hey you, SG-1, save us please" mentality of the Air Force the moment aliens appear in orbit above earth. After Alternate General Landry's speech to SG-1 about 45 minutes in, I was disappointed to see the Air Force just hand over a wing of F-15 fighters to the people who appeared out of nowhere with strange tales of aliens just a year before. In real-life, if someone magically appeared in the Arctic, accessible only by nuclear submarine and came to the government and told it of an impending alien invasion the government would interrogate the hell out of them and lock them up forever. And if aliens did start invading, the people who knew about it would be in even bigger trouble than before.

None of that was enough to detract from this installment however. I've watched it 3 times since I bought it and I want to watch it again right now. If only because it's the last time I get to SG-1 save the world for a while.
  • Return of the Goa'uld

Well, I finally got to watch the DVD movie, and my first take is that generally it was okay. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I didn't think the movie was that great, I think I enjoyed the first movie, The Ark of Truth, more.

One of my problems is that I was just confused with how they handled alternate timelines (two Jacksons?) and the whole paradox thing. I couldn't find consistency at all, so in the end I just basically went with the flow and accepted whatever happened (like Cam, dad/grandpa Cam?) and tried not to rationalize things too much. Maybe Cam will be O'Neill's daddy. :)

There were good parts to the movie. I thought it was great how they got lots of the characters (system lords and SGC members) back into this movie. The special effects were nice, and seeing the fleet of motherships bear down on Earth was cool! While the plot of changing the past is old, there were some good stuff there, like Vala being Qetesh again and showing her treacherous ways. Ba'al was nice, too, and having Cliff Simon there is always great. I was hoping they'd use more of O'Neill, however, but at least Don Davis was there for his final performance as General Hammond.

Yet with all, I did have another big problem besides the alternate timeline issues: I didn't find the movie very exciting. There wasn't a lot of humor, there weren't many tense or dramatic moments, and the whole ending was somewhat anti-climactic. So while the special effects and the acting were fine, parts of the movie seemed to drag and the script or main plot was a bit lacking. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, especially since I've only watched it once, but I do hope that future stargate movies will continue with more interesting adventures, which this series had in abundance.
  • The gang's all here. All of the members of Stargate SG1 are reunited for Stargate Continuum. Members of the team, caught up in a scheme by Ba'al, are sent into an alternate reality.

It was great to see so many old friends from the series. It was fun to point out the various characters that we have come to know over the years. It was especially moving to see the late Don S. Davis reprise his beloved role of General George Hammond. The movie kept pace fairly well. Although there was not a lot of action, at no point in the film did you feel bored. The premise of Continuum is that Ba'al, in an attempt to prevent Stargate Command, and in particular, SG1 from ever forming, alters the timeline of Earth. Daniel, Sam and Cam are sent into the new timeline where the Stargate never arrived in America.

The opening scene of the movie is perfect. The camera moves from the gateroom throughout Stargate Command and then follows SG1 back to the gateroom. It is during this opening sequence that we see many familiar faces. This allows the film to carry the viewer along with a feel good feeling.

The movie then quickly moves along to the plot. The scenes with Jack O'Neil are few, but there are classic O'Neil moments. So, although we would like to see more of him, we are ok with what we are given.

The CGI are not the greatest. However, one must consider the limitations of production costs for a straight to DVD movie. Also, most SG1 fans are not watching primarily for the CGI. We watch because we care about the characters. In the case of Continuum it seems as though we, the viewer, may care more for the fate of the team then they do. It would have been more credible for Daniel, Sam and Cam to express more emotion over their fates. It felt flat. Perhaps the best part of the movie was Vala's change over to Qetesh. Claudia Black did an excellent job of portraying Qetesh. There is also a scene in the beginning of the film where Vala talks about the feelings of the host of a Goa'uld. This is a side of Vala that we rarely see.

Some of the System Lords appear in the movie. It was great to see them, but they had such a little role. Ba'al's role could have been more interesting as well if he were more involved in the events of the film.

I enjoyed the movie, but I wanted more. I was really happy to see so many familar characters from the series. You have to keep in mind that they appear for the viewer's sake. They are not central to the plot. This was another installment of Stargate that allowed us once again to be a part of the fun. Take it at face value, and you will enjoy the movie.
  • Mixed feelings

This second movie since the end of the great SG1 series was clearly more hyped than the first one. Two major reasons for this were the return of the Goa'uld, who the fans always prefered to the Ori and of course, the presence of Richard Dean Anderson, back as the one and only Jack O`Neil.
    I was exicted with Jack`s return but it turned out to be a major dissapointment for me. He was in the movie for some 10 minutes..we had some classic Jack one liners and that`s it. We never got to see him in action..dissapointing given that they did much promotion around RDA`s presence in this movie. I wanted to see Jack- Ba'al/Teal`c/Sam/Daniel interactions..got very few of these.
    I usually ignore some flaws here and there and just enjoy but some here were difficult to overlook. Daniel is one legged at a point and all in form with two legs by the end?? Another dissapointment was Baa`l getting killed by Quetesh rather early and without a fight.
    But other than that, the movie was a fun adventure. It was great to see the team again..the cast is still doing great. Having the whole Goa'uld thing again was nice. Also great to see Cliff Simons (Baa`l) again as well as the General Hammond (RIP Don S Davis). Special effects were good. Story itself was solid. They did a good job with Vala..having Quetesh back was the most effective way to use her. Interesting to see Teal`c as first prime again even if he was nowhere near as "bad" as he was when first prime of Apophis (nice to see him too), but it was actually good cause the "bad Teal`c" and Baa`l just killing everyhing to conquer was done before but here it was a little different.
    We didn`t get closure. There is still room for more stories. I want more SG1 movies but new adventures. I don`t want to see a fight agaisnt the Goa'uld or Ori again..give us fresh stuff. Hopefully there will be more movies...featuring RDA, much more this time.

Overall Continuum was a fun ride with some dissapointments. I think Ark of truth was actually better which is ironic because Goa'uld storylines were always better than Ori storylines..not really the case here. Still worth having and fingers cross for more.
  • awesome!

Ok, so I love time travel, Jack, and Ba'al and this movie brought them all together!!! I loved it. So, Ba'al messes with the timeline so that the gate never makes it to the US. I thought it was funny how Cam's relative was captain of the ship that Ba'al attacked; what a coincidence... I liked how Jack had a small role in the movie, but he still had a large enough role to satisfy us "Jack-lovers". I think Daniel was halarious in this movie. He was so sarcastic! I loved it! I liked seeing Teal'c as a first prime. I actually liked him more as Ba'al's first prime than as an SG-1 member (though Teal'c's death was terrible acting...). I loved how Jack, Daniel, and Sam all died heroically. I thought it reminded me of the episode 2010? I don't quite remember the name of the episode, but they all died sending a message to the past. I love how this movie can fit practially anywhere in the series. It held its own and didn't feel like a long episode. I loved the story, loved how it didn't drag, loved the action, loved Ba'al, ...didn't really like Vala (Qetesh), loved Daniel, wow...I can go on for a while. Overall, my favorite by far and stacks up with Window of Oppertunity and Moebius.
  • Another time bubbling mind thumping (episode)/movie!

First the bad: While i do enjoy my take on this whole time distortion and time machines and past/present/future SG1 mixing together one way or another it was used so very often during the series that it kinda got old by the time the idea "reached" Continuum. Then we got a whole hour of...i dunno what to call it, gibberish, yeah that's the word. Except seeing some interesting twists, nothing interesting happens, i mean nothing i've been used throughout all these over 200 episodes of SG1. Now the good: Everything is kinda forgiven when finally we get to see a glimps of optimism, and eventually the kind of action and heroism i want to see in such a movie. Needles to say, Ba'al the last of the System Lords eventually gets his, and the past/present/future are once again restored to it's previous, otherwise normal order. As a movie overall i really liked it, i found it rather entertaining and enjoyable, and finally Jack O'Neill stars in this one, this possibly last movie regarding SG1 in particular (except Stargate SG-1: Children of the Gods - Final Cut 2009) which is a remake. It has been an awesome 11 years with these guys and let's hope some new blood will live up to reach the same heights. Enjoy!
  • Another chance to bring things full circle

The first direct-to-DVD "Stargate" film, "The Ark of Truth", was burdened with the task of condensing a season's worth of resolution to the Ori arc in the space of about 90 minutes. The writers did well enough under the circumstances, but it was clear that the plot was the overriding consideration. "Continuum" also seeks to resolve a lingering plot thread from the final season of "Stargate SG-1", but generally speaking, the writers had more freedom with the story.

In essence, the plot boils down to this: Ba'al, the last of the System Lords, has finally been captured (and we shall never speak of the Ba'al clones again). In a last ditch effort to reverse his fortunes, Ba'al uses a time machine to prevent the relocation of the original stargate from Giza in the late 1930s. Jackson, Carter, and Mitchell are in the middle of gate transit when this happens, so they retain their memories of the original timeline when they arrive in the altered reality. Hilarity ensues.

As with most "Stargate" and science fiction time travel stories, there are several obvious plot holes throughout the story. The writers either ignore them or allow them to stand proudly, and oddly enough, that works to the film's advantage. There are a few golden moments where the characters themselves point out that a plot point doesn't quite make sense, and then they shrug it off. It's as if the writers are telling the audience, point blank, "just sit back and enjoy the ride".

The producers were raving about the Arctic shots from the very beginning, and I can confirm that they are quite splendid. I love it when real military personnel are given cameo roles on the series, since the series is so popular among servicemen and servicewomen, and the nuclear submarine shots were glorious. I recommend watching the short added feature on the Arctic shoot; it was quite enlightening and entertaining.

It was also great to see Richard Dean Anderson again, even if he's barely in the movie and his moments were only a pale reflection of the old Jack O'Neill. Thankfully, his presence was logically supported by the events in the film. It makes perfect sense that he would be there to see the last of the System Lords executed, since he was there at the very beginning, and it makes sense that he would still be in the military in the alternate timeline.

Most of the story revolved around Daniel, Carter, and Mitchell as the lone members of the SG-1 team with memories intact in the alternate timeline. In an interesting move, a good deal of time was spent on the impact of that experience on the characters. They did something similar with the "SG-1" series finale "Unending", but now that the Ori plot arc is complete, it doesn't feel like such a waste of time.

At the same time, it was a bit disappointing to see the three "timeline refugees" accepted so easily. They were held and questioned for a week, but several times in the story, the three of them are given little more than token disbelief. I would have expected SG-1 to be confined under lock and key until some part of their story could be confirmed. It's one of those nagging plot holes that we're supposed to be ignoring, I suppose, but it was the one that bothered me the most by the end.

I was a bit worried that Vala would end up being tossed aside, but the writers recalled her past role as the host for Quetesh and gave her a substantial role in the altered timeline. Setting aside the silly notion that Ba'al would turn his back on anyone before his plan was fully realized (and probably not even then), Quetesh wound up being a critical element of the story.

I mentioned the great practical effect of filming in the Arctic and with an actual nuclear submarine for a reason. While some of the space-based visual effects were very well done, I found much of the CGI to be far less impressive. It's understandable that a film with a limited budget for DVD release might choose to invest in powerful location shots instead of digital backgrounds, but the Tok'Ra city and the sinking of the Achilles were poorly rendered by any measure. A feature-level production should, at the very least, meet the same CGI standards as the series itself. As usual, whenever stock footage is used, the quality is well below par.

The cast is excellent all around, and it's clear that they're enjoying the chance to tell a broader story with more character depth. The only real exception is Teal'c, who gets very little in the way of new territory to explore. On the other hand, Teal'c had some powerful moments in "The Ark of Truth", and it seems natural that he would play a more central role in the next direct-to-DVD release.

Looking beyond the confines of the story itself, this film accomplishes a vital task. While the events of the film themselves are rendered moot (in typical time travel fashion), this wraps up yet another dangling plot thread from the "SG-1" series. Beyond the Ori and System Lord conflicts, most of the other elements have been more or less successfully shifted to "Stargate Atlantis". This should allow future writers for the DVD films to explore new ground and tell stories that aren't simply complicated conclusions. And while this film is far from perfect, it does make a great case for future adventures.
  • The best Stargate SG-1 episode since the original Stargate feature film

The best Stargate SG-1 episode since the original Stargate feature film, bar none. Flawless in every way.

The reason is no mystery. The writers of an ongoing TV series cannot afford to give each episode all they've got. If they do, they're going to run out of material in short order, They know this. So they pace themselves. So they "milk it."

But Stargate Continuum was the capstone of the entire SG-1 series. The writers knew this in advance. They knew it was a case of "That's all, folks!" Therefore the writers knew they could afford to write to feature film standards, rather than mere TV episode standards. So they did.

The result speaks for itself.
  • Classic!!!

From the very first moments you can feel it, this is gonna be classic SG-1. This is gonna be a nostalgic ride. There couldn't be a more perfect opening scene.

The alternate timeline story was pleasantly twisted and didnt get boring, like they usually do when you know from the beginning that everything is gonna turn out fine. I was very pleased with the way things went in that area.

There were lots of great scenes, and lots of appearances from long past friends and enemies, which was much appreciated. It was refreshing.

And I really enjoyed seeing Claudia Black as Qetesh. I found her to be the most interesting character. Perhaps because she was the only new character. She was excellent nevertheless. We (or most of us) have seen her play fun and mischievous as Vala, serious and torn as Aeryn, and now dark and ruthless as Qetesh. Vala fans might be a bit disappointed, although one of her fews scenes was quite amusing, but Claudia Black fans are in for a treat.

My only complaint is Jack's screen time. I was expecting to see more of him. Jack had to be in this due to his history with Baal, but he didn't get the pleasure of fighting or bickering with him again. There was also a lack of screen time between Jack and Sam. I must admit I had high expectations in that area.

In the end, this is far better than The Ark of Truth, which I found to be like an average episode. But, if this was an episode of SG-1, it would be the absolute best! I cant wait to watch it again!

This will definitely be one of my new choices when I need an SG-1 fix. Whether I'm in the mood for a feel good episode, such as my current favorites; Evolution, Upgrades, and Prometheus Unbound. Or an action episode, along with my favorites The Serpent's Lair, The Lost City, and Camelot. Feeling so classic, but still having Claudia Black, Ben Browder, and Beau Bridges, it's also an ideal choice, no matter what era I'm in the mood for.