Stargate SG-1

Stargate SG-1: Continuum

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 29, 2008 on Syfy

• The gang's all here. All of the members of Stargate SG1 are reunited for Stargate Continuum. Members of the team, caught up in a scheme by Ba'al, are sent into an alternate reality.

It was great to see so many old friends from the series. It was fun to point out the various characters that we have come to know over the years. It was especially moving to see the late Don S. Davis reprise his beloved role of General George Hammond. The movie kept pace fairly well. Although there was not a lot of action, at no point in the film did you feel bored. The premise of Continuum is that Ba'al, in an attempt to prevent Stargate Command, and in particular, SG1 from ever forming, alters the timeline of Earth. Daniel, Sam and Cam are sent into the new timeline where the Stargate never arrived in America.

The opening scene of the movie is perfect. The camera moves from the gateroom throughout Stargate Command and then follows SG1 back to the gateroom. It is during this opening sequence that we see many familiar faces. This allows the film to carry the viewer along with a feel good feeling.

The movie then quickly moves along to the plot. The scenes with Jack O'Neil are few, but there are classic O'Neil moments. So, although we would like to see more of him, we are ok with what we are given.

The CGI are not the greatest. However, one must consider the limitations of production costs for a straight to DVD movie. Also, most SG1 fans are not watching primarily for the CGI. We watch because we care about the characters. In the case of Continuum it seems as though we, the viewer, may care more for the fate of the team then they do. It would have been more credible for Daniel, Sam and Cam to express more emotion over their fates. It felt flat. Perhaps the best part of the movie was Vala's change over to Qetesh. Claudia Black did an excellent job of portraying Qetesh. There is also a scene in the beginning of the film where Vala talks about the feelings of the host of a Goa'uld. This is a side of Vala that we rarely see.

Some of the System Lords appear in the movie. It was great to see them, but they had such a little role. Ba'al's role could have been more interesting as well if he were more involved in the events of the film.

I enjoyed the movie, but I wanted more. I was really happy to see so many familar characters from the series. You have to keep in mind that they appear for the viewer's sake. They are not central to the plot. This was another installment of Stargate that allowed us once again to be a part of the fun. Take it at face value, and you will enjoy the movie.