Stargate SG-1

Stronghold

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 27, 2006 on Syfy

• As usual, mainstream intellectuals conflate "democracy" with freedom

As usual, mainstream intellectuals wrongly equate "democracy" with freedom.

Democracy is often "contrasted" with dictatorship. But many diictators throughout history have freely admitted that what they championed was "democratic dictatorship," aka "elective dictatorship."

Freedom is precious. Freedom is desirable. Freedom is indispensable.

But "democracy" is no friend of freedom. If you value freedom, oppose democracy, because democracy is the enemy of freedom.

Modern champions of democracy, who fancy themselves courageous defenders of the American political ideal, have either totally forgotten or never learned what America's Founding Fathers knew two centuries ago -- democracy is the worst form of government ever tried.

Don't believe me? Consider the following quotes:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

-- Benjamin Franklin, leader of the American Revolution

"A Democracy is the most vile form of government there is!"

-- Thomas Paine, author of Common Sense, champion of the American Revolution

"We are a Republican Government. Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of Democracy... It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity."

-- Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury to George Washington, author of the Federalist Papers

"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

-- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

"The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind."

-- Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States, author of the Bill of Rights

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death.

-- James Madison, 4th President of the United States, Father of the Constitution

"The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived."

-- John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos."

-- John Marshall, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, 1801-1835

Surprised? You shouldn't be, not if you know your political history.
  • Teal'c is being tortured by Baal again, the Jaffa are still resisting freedom, and Mitchell is comforting a friend.

There is a sense of been there, done that to this episode. I mean, how many times will Baal come back to torture someone and fail at it. The story line of the Jaffa people finding any possible reason to not be democratic needs to wrap up too. The Mitchell helping a friend story line was rather interesting because it gave us some insight into the Mitchell character but then is was left hanging and not wrapped up well. It could have been the main story line and done better.
  • Another good episode of SG1 more than one storyline, or back story is usually good as it is here.

SG1 often has more than one storyline going and that's one of the great things about this show. This episode had a few, all of them were good for character development and storyline development. I think they implimented them all really well too. The season (since the break) has really started to pick up as though it has its footing better.
  • We learn a little more about Mitchell.

In this episode, we learn a little more about how Mitchell got this position. We also learn that if his friend who was dying had done what he had done it would have been his place at SG1. I dont think I would have left that device alone with his friend. At the end did he die and if he did what happened to the device? I think Mitchell does what he did as far as saving Teal'c who is being torchered by Baal because of his friend. Can the Jaffa get it together?
  • Another Ba'al Appearance...

Teal'c gets captured by ba'al and Ba'al wants to be appointed the new leader of the Jaffa. One of Mitchell's friends is going to die due to a piece od shrapnel in his head. Cliff Simon does such a good job at playing Ba'al. Ba'al is a bad guy but he is not evil like what Anubis was. I liked the little bit of action that was in the episode, I would have liked to see more of it though. You could really tell Mitchell was upset he was zating Jaffa left and right. This episode also had a sad ending for Mitchell because his friend died. At least i think he did. Later...
  • ... and on the same time something did happened.

I do not know. On overall it was quite slow episode and much talking and little events going on. This was the overall feeling. But then looking back, there were great fire fight scene - one of the visually most impressive ones in long period of time. There were very important events going on for the Jaffa - the whole election thing.

I think the Jaffa storyline was quite good - there were some moments when it last it's charm but generally - it was good. The other storyline with Mitchel and his friend - I did not get it. Maybe I missed some important moments but it looked somehow.. off... not connected.
  • Ba'al is up to his tricks again...

He never gives up, does he?

This time, Ba'al is brainwashing people to get them to follow him, though Teal'c is not proving so easy to convert...

A very revealing episode as far as Mitchell is concerned. He's definitely developing his own personality, and I have to admit he's starting to grow on me. I still don't think he can match O'Neill, but he now seems to be more of a member of the team, and less of an interloper.

Bra'tac shines in this episode, proving again why it is he and no other that should lead the free Jaffa nation.

A pretty good and exciting episode all-round.
  • Teal'c is captured by Ba'al who tries to prevent the Jaffa from becoming a democracy. Instead he wants to reunite the Jaffa under his leadership. In the meantime Mitchell has to face the death of a friend, and the fact that his secret is a great burden.

Quite a good episode, although it lacked in action and suspense at the beginning. Nevertheless I loved the well written character development of Mitchell, and Teal'c, especially the scene at the ending was very well written I think. I also enjoyed the scenes with Bra'tac. I love the character a lot, and it is good to see that there are still some old friends in the new seasons. Good that he always manages to survive!

I also enjoyed the score at the scene where Bra'tac and Daniel find the dead council member. It is the same score that was used in "Abyss", when Jack is so desperate in his cell because he is tortured by Ba'al. IT is a very emotional score, and I really like it.
  • I want Jack back!

Ever since Richard Dean Anderson left and the whole farscape meets stargate sg1 started the show is not fun to watch anymore. The idea so far of bringing in the Ori is great, the Goa'uld are still roaming around and ever since season 5 the Jaffa are still trying have a storyline in the show bye joining forces, disagreeing and joining forces again (It's getting old) Sam and Daniel don't have a big role in this episode. It's more of a Mitchell episode. It's difficult to like him. The shows directors and producers have tried switching out Daniel Jackson for Quinn before and it didn't work out so well. Now they took the lead character out. I hope they do bring Jack back, show isn't the same without him.
  • The good, the bad, and the ugly...

I happen to find the evolution of the Jaffa from an enslaved race to a more enlightened nation to be full of potential, so episodes like this are always interesting. Granted, the writers still aren’t taking full advantage of the storytelling possibilities available, but part of that could be attributed to the incursion by the Ori. The typical history for revolutionary movements for independence demonstrates how often success breeds civil war.

Sometimes that happens when the original oppressors come along and attempt to control one emerging faction within the new government. In a very mild sense, that’s what Baal attempts in this episode. (Or one of the Baals, anyway!) It’s closer to the truth to suggest that Baal was trying to take control of the entire Jaffa Nation through subversion of its ruling council. What I find intriguing is the fact that Baal is not completely wrong. He identifies a real concern and acts on it, probably with a great deal of self-interest, but if his methods were more reasonable, wouldn’t he be making a very good point?

On the other hand, this also continues to demonstrate how a beaten foe is not a completely docile foe. The Goa’uld will continue to look for ways to rise again, and the rise of the Ori presents them with opportunity. They have already taken a degree of control over human politics and they are making moves on the Jaffa. Resources that might have been devoted to containing and addressing the Goa’uld are now focused on a greater threat.

I was also a bit more impressed with the Mitchell subplot. Unlike “Collateral Damage”, which attempted to give Mitchell depth through a forced storyline that shoved the rest of the cast into the background. This time, however, the writers made the character development part of a more balanced episode, and I was far more pleased. (OK, it was a bit much for Mitchell to drag alien technology into the middle of a public hospital and then leave it there, but I’ll set that aside for the moment!)

What I didn’t buy was the suggestion that Teal’c was actually considering surrender and that he was ever in any compelling danger. I’m not sure if it was the writing or the editing, but it just didn’t gel. Similarly, the battle sequences were just plain wrong. How many times were people exposed, in the middle of the firefight, and not one shot was taken at them? It just didn’t come together very well.

In terms of the Jaffa election, it’s likely that Bra’tac or Teal’c will be heavily involved in the new government, if not elected to the highest positions. If the Ori become enough of a threat to require a stronger response by the Jaffa, then this would make sense. However, even if this episode had some good ideas in terms of the Jaffa/Goa’uld interaction, I still think the snakeheads need to stay well in the background. It just seems better to keep them out of sight until a strong role can be found for them.