Stargate SG-1

The Broca Divide

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 15, 1997 on Syfy

• The first episode where we really see the quality that the stand-alone episodes are going to have.

Apologies for any spelling issues in this review, I write in British English not American and I am mildly dyslexic!

This is the first proper stand-alone episode that SG-1 did (I refuse to count the abysmal Emancipation) and has two main standout firsts: it marks the first appearance of one of the best-loved characters in the series, Dr Janet Frasier and it marks the first overt appearance of the attraction between Carter and O’Neill (and therefore must be a shippers delight!).

The plague concept is an interesting one at this stage in the series and introduces the idea that it is not just the Goa’uld threat that our heroes will have to deal with in their explorations.

One of the things I like about the Broca Divide is that it offers some nice character insights that are expanded on in future episodes. An example of this is Jack’s tendency towards self-sacrifice in order to help others. Another standard that this episode sets is the little touches of humour that make the series as a whole such a joy to watch, humour that is not just in the lines themselves, but also in the delivery.