Stargate SG-1

The Changeling

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 28, 2003 on Syfy

• There should be more like this...

Its hard to believe that this was not written by a professional writer, but rather by one of the actors. (that does however explain why it is one of the few episodes that does a good job of focussing on Teal'c and also gives Chris Judge a chance to play another character- something all actors want to do. I have to wonder which came first though, the writing of the episode, or the inclusion of Micheal Shanks? Either could be true as I know that Judge and Shanks are good friends, so he could easily have drafted his friend in for "his" episode. Although I am one of the (legion) of fans who wished Shanks had never left the show, it did make his rare appearances even more special, and the spine tingling theme tune they came up with to appear when he did is another example of the great atmospheric scores SG1 has often (but not always) demonstrated.

When Daniel first appeared, the implication was that he was just another dream character, and this was no doubt intentional. But the inclusion of that theme tune and his use of the name "Teal'c" as you realise that Daniel really is there, watching over his friend, still gets me even after numerous viewings. A truly remarkable and well written episode, not let down by the directing, which uses simple set changes and one shot walkthroughs to make the dreams change seamlessly from one to another.

Amazing.