Stargate SG-1

The First Commandment

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 22, 1997 on Syfy

• OMG It's Utah!!

This thought provoking episode show us how simple it is for one person to lose his way into fanaticism and int he end screwing over a whole race of people. Sound familiar, just research John Smith, it's a dead ringer for this episode. Now it's up to the SG-1 team to show the followers that there is a better way to leave if they would just think for themselves and learn about their own history in their own time and fashion instead of following a power hungry psychopath.

um yup. Lots and lots of parallels here.
  • Even though another filler episode, it will not leave you disappointed. The team battles against a former (well ... current actually) SG member, whom has become drunken with power and is posing as a god to an under-privileged society.

An episode which perhaps lacks a bit of the typical SG-1 action, but is full of the little twists that make the stargate series great. It shows that even the mighty soldiers of the US air force are not perfect, as a former member of SG9 becomes drunken with power and poses as a god to a poor uncivilized village. To make things more interesting ... Sam used to be engaged to this guy! As usual some of the SG1 members get captured, in true SG-1 style: it's the turn of Jack and Sam this time. So it's up to Daniel and Teal'c (who is hilarious in this episode btw) to prove to the villagers that Hanson is not a god and to save Jack and Sam. Oh yeah ... you get to see Teal'c drawing a picture in the midst of all this :) Of course, the episode ends well (well ... not for everyone) as the mighty SG1 becomes victorious over Hanson and saves the people on the planet from radiation (long story ... watch it to understand it). And Hanson gets sent home to SGC through the stargate by his people ... of course he doesn't make it to the SGC, but that's a different story. Great episode ... with lots of biblical references to boot.
  • SG Team member goes nuts takes on the role of a god.

This is merely an ok episode. I think the idea of an SG team member taking on the role of a god as in this episode is very interesting but the execution of this idea was only so so. One nice bit of information this episode provides, is how the Goa'uld terraformed many of the planets in the Stargate network. This helped to explain how there are trees and earth-like conditions on most planets the team encounters. This episode is also the origin of the "it does say colonel on my uniform" gag. This was probably my least favorite episode from season one, Jack's humor and the interesting portrayal of Capt. Hanson were the only things that kept this from being a below average episode of SG-1.
  • I AM YOUR GOD! YOUR ONLY GOD!!

A search and rescue mission that takes an unexpected twist. A superb episode that gives us more than just action in this brilliant story by Robert C. Cooper about the way a man can be corrupted by power and the dehumanizing process that turns Captain Jonas Hanson (William Russ) into a megalomania madman. All of SG-1 especially Carter since she was once engaged to Hanson are plunged into a man made hell pitbulled by a insane and power hungry Hanson who view the would-be population as wild animals, maggots or something less. The action is savage in a primitive way, the story unsparing, the dialogue spiked with scathing humor. The First Commandment, from its onset of just a search and rescue mission to its nightmare of the reality in which Hanson created is what I Tracey K. Nameth call "a scoring television cinematic direct hit."
  • The god effect

I really loved that they took that theme and story up so early as so far all of those episodes we have seen that god effect and it was only the matter of time before someone gets too blinded by that and starts liking too much being worshiped. And that was SG-9 leader this time. The only problem with him was, that some other people knew him. Again, Samantha Carter is in the middle, not standing the injustice and trying to help those who need, and on the same time, save the mad commander. All the story, the depth, adventure and the way they solved this. A really enjoyable episode
  • The team -leader of SG-9, Captain Hanson has become drunk with power when SG-9 are treated as Gods by the inhabitants of a primitive planet.

I liked this one, the idea of a SG teams getting drunk with power while off-world seemed like a great plot for an episode. It added a human side to the SGC personel and it was believable that a person would want to stay on a planet were he is the God. The conclusion was great, one of the best from season 1. I just think it came a little too early in the series and Carters relationship with Hanson wasn't played out well. Other than that I like this episode, it is one of the better ones from seasons 1.
  • ok episode...

SG-1 goes to a planet to look for SG-9 only to find that one of the members has become the god of the native people and is working them to death so they can build him a temple. Anways, it as an ok story, with an interesting idea. Many of the people on planets that the SG personell go to think they are gods because they go through the stargate and the show has played with that idea. There were some good parts, but for the most part, this episode didn't interest me. Overall, ok episode, nothing special, nothing too bad.
  • Not my favorite

7.7
    This is not my favorite Stargate episode, but it isn't bad. The team goes in search of SG-9 and when they find them it turns out SG-9's leader has set himself up as the 'god' of the planet. He is controlling the race that lives on that planet as the Goa'uld would. The planet has high UV radiation and the exposed workers are almost dying. The team comes up with plans to stop him. Carter talks to him (she should have shot him). Eventually they get the shield machine up and running and the radiation is blocked out. Again, not the best episode, but not horrible either.
  • alright...

7.7
    I liked the whole idea of one of the SG teams going rouge but it was just because the leader literally got to much sun. This episode did in fact have some good humour like when the man complemented Tealç on his drawing and Tealc said Thank you. I wish General Hammond was in this episode, in some of the episodes in season 1 he just makes no appearence what so ever. The people of the planet were convinced that hansen wasn't God and threw him in the wormhole that was connected to earth without the iris code so you can only imagine what happend to him. Later...
  • While the story wasn't great the humor was

7.2
    This is one of the weaker episodes of the series but there are some good aspects. First the humor is great and it is probably one of the funniest episodes of the first season. Hanson was well played by William Russ. I loved Daniel’s line about crazy people in the military and then looking back at Jack. I liked the cave dweller that they convinced to help them and that “nice drawing” quote has hilarious. The things I did not like were an Air Force Captain just flipping out like that and one of his men just blindly going along with him.
  • With the power of technology, Captain Jonas Hanson convinces the cave-dwellers of a primitive society that he is a God. SG1 must stop him before he kills, again!

On most of the planets SG1 explores, the Stargate teams are welcomed as gods by the inhabitants. It was only a matter of time before someone lost their mind and convinced them self that they are a god. This is exactly what happens to Captain Jonas Hanson when SG9 travels to a planet where the sun emits dangerous levels of solar radiation. When arriving on the planet, SG1 encounters Conner (member of SG9) alone, separated from his team. Conner informs SG1 that Jonas has convinced him self that he is a god to the people. Carter takes if upon herself to confront Jonas alone (they were formerly engaged) and discovers that he has promised to help his followers by turning the sky orange, in order to block out the harmful radiation of the sun. However, the source of this power turns out to be a Gua'uld device that creates a shield over the valley and caves. With the help of SG1, the cave-dwellers realize that Jonas has no organic power and has lied to them. SG1 activate the shield, and the people send Jonas back through the Stargate (killing him in the process)

This episode deals with the importance of responsibility; how having a great amount of power means having an even greater conscience. Like Teal'c states, "Power alone does not make one a god." This is fittingly appropriate because Teal'c has witnessed first hand how the Goa'uld manipulate people into believing they are gods. This was a GREAT episode.
  • Not the best storyline but still very fascinating. This show delves right into the souls of human beings and shows their worst side at its best (if you get my drift!)

For me, this does not match up to the Broca Divide. However, this episode is truly fascinating.
    It delves right into the soul of someone who likes power, and how they can abuse it if they get too much of it.
    Jonas (not to be mixed up with Jonas Quinn of Season 6) reminds me very much of Hitler. Rising to power and then abusing the power in every way possible.
    It is quite horrible to see a human being act that way, willing to sacrifice his own team, who looked out for him on other missions, just so he can get to God status. He deserved punishment but being sent through the wormhole while the iris on the other side is closed is a painful death. As they said in a previous episode, it's like a bug going SPLAT on a windscreen.
    This did however show the extremities of abusing power (the worst side of a human being among others) but did show it at its best. Willing to sacrifice the people that love him for his own selfish needs.
    My rankings to date (going purely on my own account and not on my scores- and only the first 5 episodes. I count Children of the Gods as One episode)
    1) The Broca Divide.
    2) The First Commandment
    3) Children of the Gods Part I
    = Children of the Gods Part II
    5) Emancipation.
  • It was alright.

I didn't mind this episode too much, but I think they could've done a better job with it. I was interested in seeing how they were going to solve the problem. I thought they should of just jumped the guy and hand cuffed him so he couldn't get away.
    Even though he told Carter that if she shot him, the people wouldn't be too happy about it. Seeing how he was treating them, I don't think they would of minded that much.

*Spoiler*

In the end when his people turned on him and started carrying him up to the open gate to throw him in, I thought a member of SG-1 should of sent a signal through the gate so he wouldn't of been killed on the other side.
  • Despite being at a stage in the series when the show took itself too seriously, it has some funny moments.

Most of the episodes from the first season sadly have an inherent flaw: they took themselves far too seriously. It wouldn't be until the second season (arguably) that it would find feet. Still, there are some okay episodes in the first 2 seasons that are decent (and some that are great). This episode, unfortunately, is only average.

The story is okay, but a few things irritated me about it. It was a bit slow and silly at times, the event horizon still looks dodgy, and they once again made us well aware of the fact Carter is a woman by saying she had a relationship with the bad guy.

Still, there are some pretty good moments in the episode (in other words, humour), and there was arguably some character development too.

Now, as to whether or not you should show this episode to someone being introduced to the series...I'm not sure. It's not a terrible episode, but doesn't really offer anything to the characters or story arc either. I'll leave it up to you.
  • I guess it was okay, but not one that really makes me want to watch it very many times.

7.9
    SG-9 goes MIA, and SG-1 is sent to bring them back home. When they arrive they find that Capt. Jonas Hanson, leader of SG-9, having been treated like a god, now thinks that he is one. And another twist…Sam was supposed to marry him a few years ago but broke off the engagement! This is where everyone starts up on the idea of the Black Widow Curse, because of her luck in the men she likes all getting killed in some form or another, A.K.A: Jonas, Narim, Martouf, Orlin, that ambassador guy I can never seem to remember the name of, and a couple others I can’t place at the moment. Except for Jack that is, are they hinting at something maybe? Hmmm…

Anyways, while there SG-1 discover that being out in the direct sunlight is deadly! But there was once a shield that protected the planet and the people on it from the ‘orange sky’, and now they have to find it before Jonas destroys it. While this is going on, Jack gets caught and is brought before Jonas, who sentences him to death by way of the Stargate. Jonas had the people turn the Stargate on its side and dialed it to a bad planet. This is where he had them ‘walk the plank’…literally! But the people revolted just in time, and SG-1 is saved. But after being treated badly for so long the people decide to throw Jonas into the Stargate. They fix the machines and activate them, saving the people.

It was an okay episode, mostly character development for Sam. In this episode Jack begins to trust her more after she, out of mercy, does not kill Jonas. Good eppie but not he best.
  • Not one of the greats, but not the worst

It's just the basic story of a man from an advanced world taking over another by saying he is a god. It's not the most original idea and not the most interesting, but it's not that bad. I wouldn't say this episode is the worst this season, but it's not the best. The actors did a great job as always, Jonas was a decent villain but I began to lose interest in the story the more it progressed. The moral of the story is that people aren't gods so no one should pose as one. It's a hit and miss episode that isn't on the must see list of episodes from this series.
  • Kind of boring.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with this episode. It was dull and unimpressive. I DID like how Jack used "sycophant"... I love it when this otherwise simple character uses words like "innocuous" and "sycophant".

Jonas seemed about as threatening as a mosquito. Half the time he seemed delusional and a raving egotist and the other half he seemed disingenuously well-intentioned towards the people that consider him "god". He also seemed slightly suicidal because he had to figure that there was a slight chance Sam might blow a hole in his chest when she had a gun on him... but, of course, it could've been his psychotic self-glorifying head trip motivating him to scream "pull the trigger" so that he could validate his crazy notions by proving to himself that he "had the power" in that situation.

It seemed out of character for Sam to go for a guy like that... she usually goes for the gentle, soft spoken, friendly type (as is evidenced by the MANY love-interest-of-the-week episodes which pair her with offword humans) as opposed to the power-hungry self-glorifying "sycophant" that Jonas was.

I kept thinking "wow, that whole 'the SG teams are mistaken for gods' bit was all but completely dropped in later seasons". Probably because they didn't wanna bother going through the same "OMG it's the gods holy crap" thing every time the SG teams come across a new civilization... or maybe because they started coming across highly advanced civilizations, some of which seemed pretty atheistic come to think of it.

ANYWAY, Jonas made for a mediocre faux-deity which in turn made for a mediocre episode. It's like his mediocrity bled out to the other characters because there was pretty lackluster interaction most of the time.

Ah well...... at least we know this episode isn't representative of the series as a whole.