Stargate SG-1

The Fourth Horseman (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 16, 2005 on Syfy

• Meet the new gods (same as the old gods).

.Spoilers.

So we're made to believe the Jaffa can be convinced to worship some new false-gods, by a man resembling John Lithgow with a shiny stick. Just because Louis Gossett Jr. is getting a bit old, doesn't mean he would accept a new set of gods, a few short years after getting rid of his last set. I know his character has been set up as a self-righteous bore since he was introduced, but this character shift seems poorly thought out.

Also, Carter's old squeeze turns up as a kid (maybe he could go to school with mini-O'Neill...) conveniently just in time to help with some sub-par 'Outbreak' Ori disease. Guess what? the poor kid has inconvenient brain problems to try and drag out the tension. The Ori remain a campy set of villians despite their great power. Here's hoping the second part is a bit better than this, but my hopes are low.
  • Gerak plans to make all Jaffa serve the Ori

Gerak is paid a visit by a prior of the Ori and tells him that he will get all Jaffa to bow before the Ori. Tealc and Bratac hold a stand against the Ori. Meanwhile back at the SGC a team that has been undercover on an Ori planet returns and has been infected with an ori disease which causes 8000 people atleast being infected as they couldnt stop it. Gerak is turned into a prior of the Ori and returns to the Jaffa High Council.
  • Satisfying. Totally Satisfying. But let's start the campaign to bring back Gen. Hammond right now.

What a wonderful job at introducing an entire run of new characters, new plotlines, new threats, new worlds, and new allies. This cliffhanger has set up tremedous new expectations for the January return of the series. Finally, Sam is rounding back into form--although she has suddenly begun to look a lot older. And everything looks good to go at the SGC for years to come. Except for . . . . Landry. Seeing Gen. Hammond on screen for just a few seconds reminded me once again how much I miss seeing Don Davis' superb portrayal of the man in charge at the SGC. Dump Landry. Bring back Gen. Hammond. And get Vala back into the series.
  • Fine except for the cute kid.

7.6
    Its too bad they couldn\'t get the original actor for Orlin. I don\'t have anything against cute kids but they tend to distract from any plot.
    The Ori really get their digs in on Earth in this episode. The plot twist at the end was good, and showed that the grip the Ori have over people isn\'t as strong as originally thought.
    Overall an episode worth watching.

BTW while the band "Dark Pariah" referenced in the show is fake, the music is real.

Its from "Bodies" by Drowning Pool.
  • Auch..

When things get bad, they get even worse. And this episode unveils again the power and the terrible reaction Ori cause - now they are trying to turn Jaffas and had decided that leader of them is the best way - first he tries to speak everyone to follow origin and then it looks like civil war as he goes to attack Chulak. Looks like so long fought freedom for Jaffa is over.

And on the Earth - it is bad too. The virus manages to break out and there is no way to control it - it is chaos. And their tries to solve it seems to have nothing good.

And so, on the last minute, we learn that the leader of Jaffa council is turned into prime. What next?
  • What a great episode...

Earth has been hit with the prior plague. It is spreading really fast to by the end of the episode the whole USA had been quarintined. What really surprised me and probably a whole lot of other people to is that Gerak wants all the jaffa to follow the Ori. Then they make him a prior! This episode had a good story and every thing. When Mitchell reacted to the Lieutenent's comment about Dr. Lam it Kinda makes you think whether or not there is something going on between Lam and Mitchell. Orlin comes back he was in the season 5 episode Ascension. I didn't like the fact that they brought him back as a little kid. It was kinda weired how he said that he still has feelings for Carter. Later...
  • The Ori attack on the galaxy reaches Earth when a soldier inadvertantly brings a virus back with him. From there it's a race against time to find a cure before the disease can devastate the planet.

For a mid-season finale, this episode is a bit underwhelming. The big threat, a virus that seems to be spreading without pause, just doesn't seem all that substantial to me for some reason. Maybe it's because we're mostly told about its damage rather than shown it. Even the cliffhanger is simply told to us. Another problem I have with this is that it seems to serve mostly as set up. That's to be expected with a two-parter but it still takes a lot away from the importance of the episode and this one especially since it felt like that little happened. I would also like to point out how weird it is to see an Ancient once in love with Sam in child form. Not necessarily bad, just strange.
  • Some clunky exposition and rather poor acting moments, but all in all, one hell of a cliffhanger

After finally watching the “summer finale”, I understand why the producers had little issue with airing the previous episode immediately before this one. That episode was largely a prologue to this episode, especially in terms of giving the SGC a possible direction in the hunt for a weapon against the Priors. That’s a good thing, because they’re going to need it.

The writers are clearly shooting for a massive escalation of stakes in the growing war against the Ori, and since this is a two-part story, that means a lot of exposition. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work to anyone’s advantage, especially when a boring child actor is the one delivering the exposition. Of course, the writers were also trying to get past the background and get the story moving, so perhaps it’s all forgivable in the end.

So the Ori are basically like something out of Celtic folklore: evil faerie who gain their power from the directed belief of those who believe in their power. In turn, the Ori take the power and keep the evolved humans from advancing far enough to ascend on their own. Since the only other way to ascend is through the help of another ascended being, the followers of the Ori are basically screwed.

What I like about this is that we learn more about the Ancients themselves through the filter of what they didn’t become. The Ancients and their non-interference position are a lot more reasonable within this context. It’s not that they don’t want to help, so much as they know all too well what they could become if they are tempted. Anubis, it seems, is just a minor glitch when compared to what might have been.

The Priors are humans who appear to have been evolved as far as they can go without being ascended, and then kept in that artificially evolved state with no hope of true free will. I’m rather convinced that some kind of mind control is involved as well, though when someone is that fanatical already, just getting that sudden rush of power must be more than enough.

I always knew Garek would be trouble, but this is a twist I didn’t see coming at all. I give the writers credit for coming up with a twist in the arc that I didn’t anticipate. In fact, that’s something I can say about the season as a whole. It’s done a great job of taking me places that I would never have expected the series to go at this stage of the game.

Certainly I didn’t see the plague striking Earth! In my book, that’s a great bit of foreshadowing. Nearly every episode of the season to this point has now become a part of the overall context of the dire situation here. If the International Committee wanted proof that the Priors were a danger, then I think this fits that description.

While the Orlin scenes were annoying because of the actor involved (why not just use a different character and eliminate the queasiness of the situation?), they did help give scope to the situation and how far out of their depth the Tau’ri are. Against the Goa’uld, they had allies. Now they have enemies among the Jaffa, and there’s precious little that anyone seems to be willing to do. Certainly the Asgard and Tok’ra aren’t directly involved.

Whatever the case, despite the pitfalls of some awkward scenes and bad exposition, this was a good episode, if only because we’ve rarely seen the worst-case scenario play itself out so completely. Earth has been struck with a plague, the Jaffa are led by a murderous Prior, and there’s no assurance that the anti-Prior field is going to solve the problem. Like I said about the Ori all along…it’s been a long time since I’ve actually been this intrigued at how it will all play out in January.
  • A fantastic mid-season finale.

The Jaffa being asked by the Ori to convert-story, I didn’t like so much. It was cool that Tony Amendola was cool, but Gareth convinced by the Ori wasn’t very unexpected. The free Jaffa having a problem, which every new nation has had, was good. A civil war I thought was a good story twist and it was really cool to have Gareth see the Ori’s true form. And of course to see him as an Prior.

The spreading sickness was really good, as was the anti-prior technology. Orlin coming back wasn’t exactly in the way I would have expected it, but it does eliminate the whole Orlin likes Carter problem. The young Orlin boy was kind of cute, even though it was weird to hear such difficult speech come out of such a young boy. And his revelations that the Ori rely on their followers was very surprising. I thought it was sad that Orlin was dying.

The whole spreading decease was a bit close to the spreading of the thing that made people see the bugs from other realities in ‘Sight Unseen’, but it did cause the quarantine of the entire United States. Which is pretty awesome.
  • ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

This stands as one of the biggest cliffhangers I've seen in a while!

I cannot possibly comprehend the magnitude of the conflict, which has escaladed to unprecedented heights! Not only Garek's affiliation with the Ori at the beggining was surprising, but his transformation into a prior has left me stunned!

What there IS also surprising, is the actual help given by an Ancient in resolving 'lower-plane' problems. Orlin's descention is a fine example of moral course of action, giving up his immortality, his superior form of existence, and ultimately his universal understanding and knowledge of everything.

While still sane, Orlin helps SG-C understand the motives of the Ori, and it shares the fact that the Origin is not the path to enlightenment after all, but merely a giant hoax to feed the Ori with power, and lots of it!

It is yet to see if the anti-prior weapon works, and I curiously wait to watch the encounter of the prior in question and SG-1, and more likely, the interrogation of the former in a SG-C cell.

This is a great show, and this episode empowers the feeling that Stargate is not yet dead!
  • A turning point

This was a very revealing episode in many ways. The first of these is that they told us the answer to a question that was asked earlier in the season. Why do the Ori want to be worshiped? The answer wasnt the most original but all the same it was a good one. Another thing that they did was bring back a character from another season. Orlin was brought back and I was suprised to see that they brought him back as a kid instead of his adult form. They even gave a scientific explanation to this in the typical stargate way. Another large plot detail that they revealed is which way is Gerac heading and what is he going to do. Although I wasnt suprised at his choice I was suprised to see him turned into a prior at the end. I cant wait til January when they reveal what will happen with the Jaffa and the plague.