Stargate SG-1

The Fourth Horseman (2)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 06, 2006 on Syfy

• Three distinct storylines converge to save all Human life on Earth. This is the race for a cure! It's episodes like this that make us watch this show!

This episode is the conclusion to the mid-season break cliffhanger "The Fourth Horseman (1)." There are 3 (you can make the case for 4) storylines revolving in the episode. The first of course is Carter and Orlin's(a descended Ancient)race to complete a cure for the Prior plague. The major struggle is Orlin is slowly loosing his knowledge he had as an Ancient, at the cost of doing major damage to his human brain. The second storyline revolves around Teal'c and Gerak. In the cliffhanger Gerak was turned into a Prior and had pretty much succeeded in making the "Path of Origin" the religion of the Jaffa. Teal'c is out to stop him, not wanting to see the Jaffa bow down to more false gods. The last follows Mitchell and Jackson's testing of a new device to inhibit the Prior's powers and trying to turn him against the Ori. They succeed in capturing him and leaving him powerless. After long and hilarious interogating, the Prior is killed as his powers start to return, but not after revealing that the Ori are coming to this Galaxy. As this is going on Teal'c and Gerak meet to come to a peaceful solution to the division of religion in the Jaffa government. Teal'c leads Gerak to Gerak's father's tombstone. After an intense discussion Gerak sees the light and returns with Teal'c to Earth to cure the plague. Before he heals it he hesitates and announces that he will die upon doing it, a failsafe the Ori must have put in the Priors to keep them from turning. Gerak this sacrifices himself to cure the plague. Dr. Lam then creates a vaccine from the antibodies in the cured patient's blood which is used to cure the plague for the rest of Earth, and can be used to cure any other Prior plague. The episode ends with Sam visiting Orlin at some sort of center. It appears the Orlin has lost all his memories, including those of Sam.

This episode was one of the greats. The tides have turned against the Priors but the Ori are coming. It was truely a great conclusion to a great clifhanger. Full of Action, Hilarity, and Insight.
  • Anticlimactic... ... ...

7.9
    After the end of "The Fourth Horseman Part 1" and the huge break, you'd expect a more spectacular 2nd part.

But it was kind of anti-climactic. The only big shocker was the fact that Gerak died, but even that was kinda anti-climactic.

As a standalone episode or a two-parter that DIDN'T have a huge break inbetween its parts, the score would'e been higher.

The only truly good part was the part where Orlinn had become senile. It was a tearjerker there.
  • Vala needs to come back soon. and put DANIEL in the main photo for SG-1, that's just redicules

With Jack gone the best the show has been since is with Daniel and Vala. While Sam and Tiel'c are still great, the writers seem to have 'grown' up their characters and seemed to have blacked out in their future developments. The show isn’t as good as it has been in the previous 8 seasons; it has been slipping for awhile, unfortunately. But it is still better than 95% of the rest of television out there now, if not more. The episode does further the story, it seems to somehow know something more than it did than episode 10, like they know where their going now so they’re gearing up to go. Looking forward to it.
  • Well done episode.

It was a emotional episode, Landry/Lam conversation, Teal'c/Gerek, and Sam/Orlin at the retirement home. I also think this episode helped build more character to the cast. This is what I like about Stargate SG-1 (like Atlantis) the relationships between characters, the humor, adventure, this show has a little bit of everything.
  • Good episode but not the best

This episode wasnt really the best episode of the series that I have seen but was still a pretty good on. I liked how it showed that the Ori are not all powerful and that the Priors are still human. One thing that really got on my nerves was how the ending just seemed to come out of nowhere and was so quick, but they have done this on stargate before so im not suprised.
  • What Ori really want..

I do not know. I was not very much impressed. It was great story - all that Jaffa part - very heroic, very pushed to the edge - die free or live as slaves - taking the limits again. The adventure and excitement, trying to capture the prime.. it was great and Sam's involvement with that boy who was once Ancient. But even as all those great elements were there, it somehow did not worked for me. For many scenes they all looked like - someone walks in, they have brief talking, someone walks out.. next scene. It somehow made this episode feel like encapsulated. It went better in the end but...

And the colossal area where the virus went.. and how quickly they fixed it.. if it had been that Jaffa prime.. I would have take it.. but they made the medicine and cured everyone. Too ...
  • Pretty Good.

Well to be honest, at the start of this Season 9, I did not know if I would be able to say that buy I think that things are working out and this 9th season in actually a good idea. Of course, I still terribly miss O`Neill but overall the stories are good and characters are great.
    This second part of the 4th horseman episdoe was better than the first part. So Gerek sacrifices himself....it looked like the character was heading to another direction but it was good. That character was pretty funny to me...probably due to the way he talked.
    It`s a small victory over the Ori and we more importantly learn more about the quest of the Ori. Highly enjoyable episode.
  • Better than part 1...

I had no problem with the first part but the second was way better. Daniel and Mitchell with the help of the Sodan capture a prior. Teal'c tries to convice Gerak that the Ori are false. What was really cool was being able to see General Hammond again. I wish he had never left the show. He and Landry are so different. Hammond is like the war hero while landry is more into the politics. Gerak's final words will always be remembered I really hated to see his character die. SG1 is able to find a cure because of Gerak and Orlin. The final scene with carter and Orlin is pretty sad because he does not remember her or anything. later...
  • The SGC continues to search for a way to cure the disease devastating Earth. Meanwhile, Mitchell and Daniel test their new device on a Prior.

After the disappointment of Part 1, Part 2 delivers. It's nice to see our heroes actually doing something and being able to take action that brings them closer to the solution rather than standing back and witnessing the problem get worse. In this episode, Mitchell and Daniel have a series of great scenes and nice back and forth with the Sodan and the captured Prior (played by X-Files favorite William B. Davis). When Landry catches the sickness we get a few good scenes between him and his daughter and even Carter's subplot with Orlin gets a little more resonance. That final scene with him in the mental home is a bit sad.

And how could I write this review without mentioning the wonderful return of Don S. Davis as General Hammond? Yes, he made an appearance last episode, but that was little more than a cameo. Here we actually get a full scene with him as he meets the new SG-1 and pretty much gives them his blessing. It's a touching moment and made me miss Hammond, in spite of my limited exposure to the character. A fine episode to wrap up the big problem and to kick off the second half of the season.
  • A little progress...

It seems that overall, the two-part episodes are a lot more exciting than the others. This one may not be as exciting as most, but it still provides a lot of tense moments.

Earth has been infected by a Prior plague. while carter and an ancient in human form try to come up with a cure, Daniel and Mitchell attempt to capture a Prior.
    Meanwhile, Teal'c and Bra'tac once again find themselves in a conflict with their fellow Jaffa.

This was a great episode for Teal'c, who until now had been very underused this season. The scene where he suggests to Bra'tac he would be the best person to lead the Jaffa was particularly touching.
    It doesn't really come as a surprise, and I'm sure most viewers, like me, had already come to that conclusion a long time ago, but it was still nice to see it expressed.

They managed to turn one prior, and where one goes, more could follow, so it seems the first step toward stopping the Ori has been taken.
  • SG1 defies the power of the Orii.

This is an episode that has just about everything. The show once again shows its ability to keep on going, despite heading into the middle of its ninth season.
    SG1 defies the power of the Orii by capturing the Prior (D'merus), turning Gerak, and stopping the Prior Plague from spreading.
    Relationships between the characters also develop even further. There is Carter and Orlin, in which Orlin sacrifices himself to save the planet of the woman he loves. Also, there is Teal'c and Bratac who decide to once again reunite to fight for a cause they believe is just. Tealc and Gerak also appear to establish a short-lived relationship based on respect and mutual understanding. Daniel and Mitchell work quite well together in taking down the Prior.
    The episode is also quite emotional. On a literal level, you can see that Orlin loses his "mind" and Gerak sacrifices himself, which is probably an end for both these characters (at least for the moment). Landry and Lam come to a sort of truce when Lam realizes how difficult it is keep her life from her mother.
    It also has humor in it. Daniel and Mitchell just shut down the prior's every word, which was so funny. It provides the necessary humor to ease the episode's tension and yet help turn the prior ("but not a complete 180).
    Finally, the special effects make the episode exceptional because the Prior (D'merus) really shows the Prior's ability to combat a threating force. The Hatac ships battling would have made for a better episode, but then again the episode wouldn't have ended as well as it did.
  • Funny but exicting episode.

Daneil and Mitchell were quiet funny while they were trying to capture the prior. I finally realized that the prior was the cigarette smoking man on the X-Files. The prior finally reveals what the ORI are after. Teal'c is finally able to convince Garek the ORI are not who they claim to be and Garek cures the people at the end before he flames out.
  • A conclusion that doesn't quite live up to the promises of the first half

When the return of “SG-1” came on my radar (read: my TiVo recording list), I wondered whether or not the series would still have the momentum that it gained in the first half of the season. After all, this is the first time that the series is coming back with Mitchell as an established member of the cast; the season premiere acknowledged his “outsider” status. Would his presence be distracting, or would it feel completely natural?

“Completely” may not be the word for it, but I was surprised at how it felt right for Mitchell to be there. It wasn’t an intrusion, that’s for sure. Granted, my personal disposition towards Browder as an actor may have something to do with that, but he wasn’t as jarring a presence as, say, Landry. Maybe it’s the hair, but Landry was driving me nuts in this episode.

In retrospect, it probably had something to do with the visit from Hammond. Hammond looms very large in terms of the series’ continuity; in a number of ways, his departure was more jarring than O’Neill’s exit. Landry stands on his own well enough, but Bridges is no Don Davis. It’s a minor point, but if Hammond had been the one infected with the plague, it might have been a more anxious moment. (And it would have avoided that awkward scene between Landry and Lam, which simply didn’t work.)

In terms of the plot, this is one of those instances where the severity of the first half simply cannot be fully realized in the second half. The most important points are touched upon in terms of the plague, especially the difficulties raised with the international oversight committee (which better factor into the second half of the season), but only a few thousand killed? Even with the vaccine (which is not the same as a cure, damn it), the death toll should have been in the hundreds of thousands at the very least and probably in the millions. But how practical would that have been?

There’s also the problem of Orlin. Thankfully, the writers killed him, because that child actor was painful to watch. Sure, the producers were going for the cheap seats with a dying kid who sacrifices himself to save humanity, but that kind of role requires a compelling actor who gets the audience to care. I didn’t care. And so he became little more than a source of exposition for me, which is non-ideal.

I also didn’t buy the simplicity of the conversion of Gerak. Gerak as a serious threat to the freedom of the Jaffa Nation was an interesting idea that really should have been explored longer. Gerak throws off the control of the Ori a bit too quickly, and so his death becomes a little too convenient and predictable. More importantly, with Bra’tac as a leader, will Teal’c have any reason to slip into Preacher Mode? In lieu of Badass Mode, that’s when Teal’c as a character is at his best.

Even so, the episode had its moments. Teal’c had some compelling moments. Mitchell’s showdown with the Cigarette-Smoking Prior was fun (it was good to see William B. Davis again!). The Sodan are always fun, since Tony Todd makes almost anything better, and it gave Mitchell and Daniel more interaction. I wasn’t thrilled with Carter’s part of the episode, though, and I can only hope that she gets a good subplot soon. With the mid-season event out of the way and the point of the Ori conversion revealed, the season can continue with its usual focus on character.
  • the emotion that was evoked in the episode alone show how well the total new cast is comming together.

I fel that this was a huge improvement over the first half of the season. I didn't predict how this episode was going to go down. The multiple arcs and character development played through here.
    arc one the virus is spreading/ Gen Landry's relationship with his daughter our new doc.
    Arc two Cater and Orland stopping the virus.
    Arc three Teal'c and Garek.
    Arc four Daniel and Mitchell take on the Ori Prior.

All 4 arcs came together at the end and closed off. It was wonderful. The cast interaction and comedy were reall on in this episode and that truly showed.

This episode true heart was to show that only the relationships we have with one another will get us through life. The examples were the Doc's talk to her Dad and that how she finally understood where he was coming from, Orland talking to the Prior about his life before becomeing a prior, Teal'c talking to Garek about why he joined the fight against the Go'auld, and Sam completing a puzzle with orland.
    Each of these single scenes addresses that theme.

I can not wait to see where this all goes next week.
  • The reason to watch Season 9 Stargate SG-1. Finally motive, plot, and direction is released.

The episode was fantastic. The writing kept the pressure on, and despite the idea of a team effort from SG-1, we see how the team is forced to split their efforts. This breakup of resources to combat the threat effectively, is believable given past history. The verbal banter between Michael Shanks and Ben Browder in character is encouraging and shows promise that this series will endure for years to come. Character development was kept to a minimum to ensure proper progression of plot. We finally understand that the Ori are coming to destroy the Ancients, everyone else is collateral damage, and the SGC realises that help is not necessarily forthcoming soon.
    Like the Goa'uld initially, the Ori seem to be placed on a pedestal so far up, as to be impossible to combat. It is hoped that Deus Ex Machina endings with squeak through escapes do not form the bulk of the fighting episodes and that humanity can progress, rather than rely on others to fight this time.
  • Fourth Horseman, part 2 is a signature SG1 episode which is a fine example of just how far the Stargate world has evolved.

Absolutely incredible. Continuing the series from the steep cliffhanger of Fourth Horseman I, Fourth Horseman II leaves you wanting more and more, but somehow uniquely satisfied. We finally see the human side of the Priors, a set-up for the following latter end of the ninth season. One cannot help but get teary-eyed as Doctor Lam speaks to her father about her childhood or when Orlin forgets just who Samantha is. Then finally we learn a startling truth about the plans of the Ori. In other words, this was a truly special episode, written and produced with great skill and expertise.
  • The Ori reveal all.

The Ori are after the acients. In a way I sort of came to that conclusion, but wasn't completely sure of their intentions.

Gerak's scenes were especially rewarding and very informative. The Pryors are obviously still their former selves, because both Gerak and the other Pryor remember the things they left behind, and both were effected by the emotions that those memories provided. The only difference is that Gerak is much more stubburn than the other pryor given his background. At first when Gerak walked into the meeting hall as a pryor, I thought that all was lost, but he proved to be a great ally in the end. He won his freedom by saving man kind.

All in all a great conclusion to the previous episode, but opening many doors to episodes to come.
  • A very good conclusion to a very serious and intense cliffhanger.

This episode is definitely one of the best of SG-1 that I have seen. I thought that the plotline was advanced very well, with the Ori's true end game being revealed. The question now is whether the Ancients will take action against the Ori or let the rest of the galaxy suffer. The turn of Gerak was very shocking. I did not expect him to pretty much commit suicide to help SGC cure the virus. This episode was also very emotionally intense. The scene in which Landry is in isolation and his daughter is talking to him is very heartwrenching. But the final scene of the episode is particularly sad, when Orlin does not even recognize who Sam is. Overall, this episode leaves us with a bittersweet ending. It will be very interesting to see where the storyline progresses from here.