Stargate SG-1

The Road Not Taken

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 2007 on Syfy

• During an experiment gone awry, Carter flips into an alternative universe: Ours. The bulk of the episode was a morality tale on what is already occurring now.

The new laws passed by a scared congress, giving up our civil liberties, arresting people without access to a lawyer or the courts, using a terrorist attack (Anubis) to weaken and suspend our constitution, going it alone and abandoning those that need our help; all these things happened in Carter's new universe. If it sounds familiar it should, because it's already happened in the U.S. To me, the episode shows what can happen if we continue down this road: A government-run media, no free press, no elected officials, and so on. Just look at what slowly happened to Russia under Putin. To give up our civil liberties for the sake of security isn't done all at once. It's done piecemeal, slowly, and over time.

How many times have we heard from our leaders that they need to restrict our freedoms because the terrorist "threat is still out there." After Hammond made this very comment, it was refreshing to hear Carter snap back, "that's the problem--the threat will always be out there." I applaud the producers and writers of the show for taking our current state of affairs and showing us what might happen if we don't get off the road we've already started down.