Stargate SG-1

The Tok'ra (1)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 02, 1998 on Syfy

• Not the best, but certainly one of the most important episodes from the first 2 seasons.

Okay, let me just say first off that one of the episode's biggest problems and lesser qualities is that opening. It wasn't executed too well, and is kind of hard to watch. However, it's almost saved by its importance, being the spark of what would become a great story arc and addition to the Stargate universe.

But other than that, there's not much wrong with this episode. When it comes to 2-parters in Stargate, usually the first part is a only about average, serving merely as a warm-up for the second, better part. Even though the second part is superior, this episode is still pretty good. Just like a few previous episodes (and of course most of the episodes yet to come) this episode has a good, well-executed story, with plenty of humour throughout, which is what we all love about SG1. But of course the best thing about this episode is the fact that we finally get to see the Tok'ra, a race you either love or hate, and one that I love. Their addition to the SG1 mythology is a brilliant one, and one that has changed the series for the better.

So, if you are introducing someone to Stargate, this is a definite must-see, no questions asked. It is not only a very important episode, but one I'm sure they'll thoroughly enjoy too.