Stargate SG-1

The Tok'ra (2)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 09, 1998 on Syfy

• Best episode of the season so far

Best episode of the season so far.

Carter's father becoming a host was a clever plot development.
  • PREDICTABLE PART 2

In episode #34 While SG-1 tries to form an alliance with the Tok'ra, a spy betrays the rebels to the Goa'uld. Jacob Carter finds that the Tok'ra may be his only hope of survival. Although the overall story arc is very important for the Stargate SG-1 series the execution of this episode's storyline stinks. We knew Jacob Carter was joining the Tok'ra halfway through the last episode thou technically he didn't know what the Tok'ra is? And he didn't volunteer until this episode. Quite frankly the regular series actors and even some of the guest actors give a strong performance. But the disaster of this two-part episode lies solely on those responsible. The writers! Come on I Tracey K. Nameth want these guys' agents. They probably knocked out the concept for these two episodes in ten to fifteen minutes total.
  • Are the Tok'ra really all that good?

3.5
    okay, so we finally get to know more about these "good" Goa'uld. Is it just me or is a Goa'uld a Goa'uld no matter the name?

From what's seen in Tok'ra 1 and 2, and the little from In the Line of Duty I just can't buy the Tok\'ra as good guys. It seems that this episode attempted to sell that point, but with me they failed. Sure, they managed to keep General Carter alive, and at least this time, chose to go with a willing host.

But given thier record, just in the three episodes I mentioned they took at least one unwilling host, brought Goa'uld destruction down on one world and were betrayed by one of their own people. I know they say they're somehow better than the Goa'uld, by only using will hosts. But was Sam Carter willing? was the Nyasian man who had his world destroyed willing?

In my opinion, based on what I've seen in this introduction to the Tok'ra they're not much better than the Goa'uld. Just something to think about the next time you watch this episode.
  • The Tok'ra become our allies...more or less.

A lot of the things I liked about Tok'ra part one carry over to this episode. Of course what makes part two even better is we are introduced to Sel'mac and we get to see her blend with Jacob Carter. I really like Jacob Carter and I almost wish that we would see him on a more regular basis. The emotion just before Jacob gets blended was very well done it seemed very genuine, and that always makes the show better. In general the Tok'ra get under my skin though with the exception of Jacob. There I can really relate to Jack, because while the Tok'ra have fought the Goa'uld for eons and they do help us out somewhat frequently, they are very sneaky and always seem to put their interests first. Very interesting episode for those exact reasons.
  • New alliance?

The aftermath and continues events of the previous episode. So, it cannot be said there was much new - they were trying to get Carter back to Earth and she comes up with plan to save his dad by volunteering him to new host. I loved the dilemma on this episode. Carter's father wanted so badly that his daughter should have change to go to space, but now he learns what she has done all that time and gets himself a new change to live again. I am so happy it came out so well, between them too.

Also, there was little adventure, those moments when you were not sure if they will make it.
  • One of best of the season.

This is one of my favorite episodes in the second season. I really liked the conversation with Teal'c and Garshaw about his bravery in betraying Apophis. The scene with Jacob and Sam in the hospital was touching. One of my favorite things in the series is when an outsider is shown the Stargate and their reaction to the unbelievable things that they see. The look on Jacob's face when he first saw the gate and what was on the other side was one of the greatest reactions in the show and Carmen did a great job throughout the entire episode. The conversation with Selmak and Jacob was very humorous and it really made me like Selmak. The escape sequence was very exciting and last scene was terrific. All and all one of the most emotional 2-parters in the show's long history.
  • An episode that changed the series for the better.

Throughout the first 2 seasons of SG1 there were some very disappointing episodes. However, amongst there were the true classics, the brilliant episodes that changed the series and showed its true potential. As you've probably guessed from my score, I consider this to be one of those episodes.

Practically everything about this episode is brilliant. For one thing you have the humour comes standard in every episode of SG1, but along with it you have some great serious dialogue that I found myself quoting along with when I recently watched this episode again.

What else make this a great episode are its strong human and emotional elements. This is perhaps most obvious in the scenes involving Jacob talking with a dying Selmac. Every moment seems to have been handled perfectly. Two key bits that I love are "I have decided I like you", and "Goodbye, dear friend". That last one is quite powerful emotionally, and I think rivals the best SG1 has offered over the years.

So, in summary I'd say this is one of the greatest episodes from the first 2, no 3 seasons of SG1. Obviously this is a must-see episode for any soon-to-be SG1 fan, and I'm sure they'll love it too.